Subscribe Today

Champ 440: Combined Weight Rule-or not?

Postby cat22 » May 9th, 2007, 12:31 pm

[quote=proton]Stand down tifa[/quote]Thank you Proton
cat22

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » May 9th, 2007, 12:53 pm

You are right David...There was only 22 entered in the WC, but I was counting the Semi-Pro guys too, because I think there was 12 or so Semi-Pro but 4 of them entered the WC as well as S-P. These aren't exact numbers, just guesstimations.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Postby Bigtimecheater » May 9th, 2007, 1:41 pm

I think some of you that think this isnt going to help the sport are overlooking one thing. All you guys are already involved and none of you are looking at getting into the class/sport. I dont think this is going to really hurt anyone; its been shown that vast majority already meet the new weight rule and those that dont only need to add a little bit to make the cut. For you guys that are in champ now it may not seem like this rule is going to attract anyone into the class but look at a veiw from somebody potentially coming into champ.....

"Well Matt Schutz and Gary moyle both have super light sleds and are light themselves...Now im a medium sized guy with an averaged weight sled... now when this guy looks at it he thinks well they got such a weight advantage on the track when you put man and machine together, But now with the combined weight deal they look at it as WOW we pretty much weight the same thing on the track and they dont have such an advatage anymore!"

Ok..., well most people are going to still say well you may weigh the same but both those guys have a lot less rotating weight which is going to make a big difference, but not everyone is going to realize that its not justs the weight that makes a difference but the rotating weight, so now they're going to think that have more of a chance and are more likely going to get into the class.

Now im not saying that this rule is definitely going to increase the sport/class but to some people wanting to get into the sport/class it may look a lot better to them on black and white, and encourage them to get involved in the class.

I guess this is just one positive way to look at how this rule has the potential to help the sport instead of saying everyone is a retard for thinking theres any positives to this.
Bigtimecheater

Postby TDC » May 9th, 2007, 3:15 pm

And how many drivers may be deterred from entering the class when faced with adding a big chunk of lead to their machine? I know one is now considering running the 600 class rather than champ.

Can anyone explain why the combined weight rule is good for Pro-Champ but not any other class?

It brings a whole new meaning to the old phraze "lead sled" !!
TDC

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » May 10th, 2007, 2:55 am

Those are some good points Derek.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Postby Bigtimecheater » May 10th, 2007, 5:10 am

I doubt anyone is going to be deterred from entering champ because of this rule. The fact of the matter is that if anyone wants the money or the glory they're going to run champ! If anything, now this just gives someone that loses another exuse as to why they lost!

People can say now that because of this rule their not racing champ but either they werent going to race anyways and are just using this as an exuse or they'll be there next year with a champ even after they said they werent going to race.
Bigtimecheater

Postby ice_racer_440 » May 11th, 2007, 2:41 am

Its making me think twice about getting back in. Why should I have to work harder to get into shape now (not that I probably wouldnt anyway) but why should a guy with 50 to a 100lbs on me have an advantage. I would say 95% of the time a guy that much bigger is going to have more muscle them a guy my size at a 140. A guy like me might have the endurance compared to them but why does a 140lb guy have to get penalized for it. I would be curious to find the lightest driver out there and set the guy on the heavyest champ and see what we get for a weight. and maybe do a comparesion the other way. heavest guy lightest champ. See if you come up with the same average. Im not looking to gain or keep a an advantage over the bigger guys but look at it more as a safety issue maybe the little weigh I would have to add wont change a thing I dont no. In the end im not sure if it will change my view of getting back in. Im just curious on a guys sled that did weigh 350lbs before they bumped it to 375. How much more weight can we add before something starts breaking which will/could cause an accident. Im just maybe looking at this all wrong.
ice_racer_440

Postby snoracer25 » May 11th, 2007, 3:58 am

At 140 lbs you are a minority. Id be willing to bet that the average snowmobiler in the stands is 175-225. Im not saying that hes going to be watching the races and decide "Wow, Im going to race a champ next season" but if you want the sport to grow you need to get those guys, like I was a couple years ago, to get on the track.
Beeline Racing
Formula 500 #325 and #324
snoracer25

Postby proracer » May 11th, 2007, 6:20 am

it's simple guy :h. EX: take a bull and aks the 200pds guy to handle that bull and then take a 140pds guy ans ask him to do the same !!!!!! :S

You do'nt need to be very smart to know what will happen, and specialy is he as to do it for a longer time. :E

i just tough that maybe you can start thinking about pick up the pieces more often ! :(

JV #96
proracer

Postby ice_racer_440 » May 11th, 2007, 8:52 am

Snowracer I happened to be in it a couple years ago. I used to race with a well known team a couple years ago. Im not new to the sport. I might have more time then you on the race track I dont no but that not the issue at hand. I look at it as the heavier guys have a disadvantage just like the light guys. Heavier people have the traction where the light guys might have the exceleration. Some people could say lift a few more weights get into shape but some people could say go on a diet to. But I dont think either is right. Like many people say we need the class to have rules that are locked for a period of time which we should have now.
ice_racer_440

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros