Subscribe Today

Champ Weight

Champ Weight

Postby eab142racer » September 19th, 2007, 2:11 am

Hey in the thread "champ 08" somebody posted a comment about how the new weight rule should make things interesting. What weight rule? I thought things are the same
eab142racer

Champ Weight

Postby Petawawarace » September 19th, 2007, 2:43 am

They passed the combined weight rule at the isr meeting. I believe it is 575 lbs sled and driver. Alot of people think its a load of******and rumor has it some places are not going to enforce it. I heard ER isn't going to run it, they will just enforce the 375 sled weight. Perhaps BJ and maybe the full EPT series doing the same thing
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Champ Weight

Postby that 31 car » September 19th, 2007, 3:43 am

I can't speak for BJ, but I feel they will enforce the rule since they were strong proponents of the rule when it was in the discussion phase. USSA will have a method of checking also, and will enforce the rule. We expect that our method of checking may vary a bit until we find a process that is convienient and fair to both the tech guys and the drivers, but we will do the checking.
that 31 car

Champ Weight

Postby proton » September 19th, 2007, 3:48 am

It worries me when I read that some groups might not follow the ISR rules for champ. Groups who are not going to inforce the ISR rules as a whole, need to think long and hard about the ramifications of doing so...I dont want to debate the rule, thats over and done with, but if groups start picking and choosing what ISR champ rules thay will abide by, there is the potential to destabilize the sport, slowing the growth and polarizing the racers...whats going to happen in the future when champ goes to a different engine formula, its not going to be good for the sport if some groups adopt the rule and some dont, you could have TWO seperate champ groups that wont be able to race together as a unified group under one engine rules package...this is the last thing our sport needs in a time when sled counts are down.
proton

Champ Weight

Postby Petawawarace » September 19th, 2007, 4:00 am

[quote=that 31 car]I can't speak for BJ, but I feel they will enforce the rule since they were strong proponents of the rule when it was in the discussion phase. USSA will have a method of checking also, and will enforce the rule. We expect that our method of checking may vary a bit until we find a process that is convienient and fair to both the tech guys and the drivers, but we will do the checking.[/quote]

I'm a little confused here? Will you not just weigh the sled as you normally do, then simply ask the driver to get on the scales as well? If either is under, they get DQed. What other process could there possibly be?
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Champ Weight

Postby Racefan440 » September 19th, 2007, 4:11 am

So Let me understand this Eagle River is not going to enforce the weight rule? Can someone verify this?
Racefan440

Champ Weight

Postby that 31 car » September 19th, 2007, 4:14 am

Petawawarace:
What I was referring to is if we will weigh before an event, after and event, or both. Also other things come into play, that cause some thought to be had in the process. Do we spin em up first to clean out the snow load, or do we weigh them just as they come off the track.
Common practice in the past was a lot of racers made sure they drove through the snowbank before they drove on the scale, especially if they figured they were close to the weight. In dirt cars, it's how you come off the track, so they figure on some clay hanging on. In tar cars some places allow for fuel load burn down, some say the weight is the weight, with no tolerance. One place we race in the summer says a pound a lap is ok, another says you gotta weigh 2875 period. Actually most people feel the weight deal is ok, the concern many have is how it will affect the actual process of the days race, not the idea of a combined weight. To weigh fairly and not hold up the whole days show is the real issue. Hope you understand what I was referring to now. I know you just weigh the sled and weigh the driver, but there's a little more to it.
that 31 car

Champ Weight

Postby The Old Coyote » September 19th, 2007, 5:07 am

Were the tech people already thinking about changing weighing methods? If not what is there to consider since you were already weighing sleds without the driver on board?
[blue][b][i]"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."[/b][/i][/blue]
The Old Coyote

Champ Weight

Postby PDRacing » September 19th, 2007, 5:58 am

At a time when we are trying to grow and save this sport, the added hassle of this combined weight rule is a true step backwards for the sport in my opinion.

I for one hope EPT does not enforce this convoluted ruling. It's will only lead to confusion, cheating, and major arguments between officials and drivers. None of which is helping to Grow this sport.

I believe the main instigators of this new rule had an underlining agenda.
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Champ Weight

Postby Petawawarace » September 19th, 2007, 6:16 am

In my opinion, the idea of spinning them up before they weigh them is pointless. A minumum weight is a minimum weight period. Common sense says that the sled will weigh its least after the race (i know you add some weight with slush ect, but the loss of fuel and lube is greater by far). It is not that hard to figure out what the sled will weigh after a race. Weigh your sled without any fuel or lube and make sure it is at the minimum weight. If you want to try and push the envelope by calculating slush ect. fine, but then you run the risk of getting DQed if your under.

As far as I know Claude has been doing it this way on the EPT and (correct me if I am wrong) there has not been a problem before with the way weighing sleds is done.

Any type of car racing I've been involved in always weigh the car as it comes off of the track and directly to tech. NOONE touches the car. Final weight at the scales after the race is final (unless a PROVEN amount of weight was lost during the race ie fenders,nose, or hood missing due to an accident).

I don't want to get into weather this new rule is right or wrong, but I think MOST people know the real reason behind this rule and don't agree with it.
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros