Subscribe Today

Champ Weight

Champ Weight

Postby PDRacing » September 20th, 2007, 4:29 am

Hey Augie, you are right but the that all comes back to a Bigger Budget and the all mighty who has the most Dollars!!

Speaking of which how does it feel to be on Par with us Canadians.:B

The great loonie pared the US dollar today!!!!:B
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Champ Weight

Postby Petawawarace » September 20th, 2007, 4:30 am

[quote=Racefan440]I think that everyone should just RACE this year and see how much of a difference this rule really makes. [/quote]

The problem is all of the time and MONEY that people invest into each year, and then to be at a disadvantage because of this rule. You can't just come up with rules and say "hey lets just see if this works, if it doesn't, no big deal"....that is not the way it works.

Secondly, its a safety issue. Take JV...This past weekend he stepped on the scale and was at 145lbs. Say his sled weighs 380 to be safe. Thats 50lbs short of the weight (575). Now add his suit and gear ect. and thats another 15lbs. Thats still 35lbs that he has to add to his sled. Thats is bad enough. Now consider this. Who do you think has more muscle on their body. Dustin or JV? Right off the bat, JV is going to have a harder time holding a regular weighing sled down. Add another 35lbs to that sled now. Now try and tell me that that is right!!!
I hate to say it, but I think you will see alot more of us smaller guys wrecking this year. Because you know we are not smart enough to let off earlier..haha
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Champ Weight

Postby PDRacing » September 20th, 2007, 4:35 am

Hey Jeff:

If this stupid rule sticks, Jacques going to half to pick up a McDonald's Sponsorship so he can eat lots of cheeseburgers to get that extra weight.:B
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Champ Weight

Postby Petawawarace » September 20th, 2007, 4:39 am

[quote=PDRacing]Hey Jeff:

If this stupid rule sticks, Jacques going to half to pick up a McDonald's Sponsorship so he can eat lots of cheeseburgers to get that extra weight.:B[/quote]

Haha....The poor guy will have to be as wide as he is tall to meet the rule...I'm guessing his wife wouldn't like that very much eh?.(all in good fun Jacques)
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Champ Weight

Postby AHF928 » September 20th, 2007, 4:48 am

That whole exchange rate thing is another topic all together, those strippers looked good when it was only .66$ I was putting in the "G" string, but the ones on Cornwall are not worth the whole dollar!!!!
Ovals rule 728racing.com
AHF928

Champ Weight

Postby PDRacing » September 20th, 2007, 4:55 am

I agree Augie, but what about the ones in Shawinigan! Viva Quebec!:B
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Champ Weight

Postby AHF928 » September 20th, 2007, 4:55 am

Jeff whats the date for the snow show up there? I have to be on Rochester NY from Sept 28 to 30th maybe we'll swing around. Ask Howie how my new pipes are coming.
Ovals rule 728racing.com
AHF928

Champ Weight

Postby The Old Coyote » September 20th, 2007, 5:00 am

I'm not a mechanic or steeped in the lore of setting up racing sleds. Still, it seems to me that there could be an advantage for the light driver that must add weight to the sled. Can't it be placed in such a spot that would help the overall balance or enhance cornering and cornering speed? Faster cornering tends to mean faster laps doesn't it?
[blue][b][i]"I solemnly swear I am up to no good."[/b][/i][/blue]
The Old Coyote

Champ Weight

Postby AHF928 » September 20th, 2007, 5:08 am

For a short race that may offset the taller riders advantage, but for a 15 or 20 lap race it just wears down the lighter ridr that much faster. Think of it like driving a Sports car vs a dump truck.
Ovals rule 728racing.com
AHF928

Champ Weight

Postby jhooper/HRE » September 20th, 2007, 5:08 am

I don't see why so many guys are concerned about this minor change,{YES,I SAID MINOR}. The REALITY is that there are very few guys that will need to add much weight. If you weigh your 175 lbs. driver after the race with his complete race gear you will find he weighs around 190lbs. and if anyone thinks adding 10 lbs. will make you non-competitive you are mistaken. Some of the smallest guys like J.V. might need to add a little more BUT the last time I saw his sled on the scale it was 25lbs. overweight already, so even he won't need to add a lot. Anyone that has watched many Champ finals knows that getting to the first turn in the top 3 is a HUGE advantage and H.P /weight ratio is a HUGE factor in acceleration. For each 6 or 7lbs. you add it's like taking away 1 H.P. {a typical Champ sleds puts around 90 HP to the track}.
I think the new rule is just about right, It will hurt the acceleration slightly of some of the lightest racers and it will not be enough to noticably change the handling of anyones sled, Yes the tall guys will still have a slight advantage in the corners but will still have a hard time getting to the first turn in front. If the driver weight had been figured at 210lbs. or more the tall guys would have gained a REAL advantage. Why don't we just go racing and stop complaining about something so minor. Some of you guys are like OLD LADIES, you are not happy unless you have something to B***H about and others of you are only worried about feathering your own nest regardless of the health of our sport. If some of you would spend as much time working on your sleds as you do complaining you would have a much better chance of winning. Sincerely, John H.
jhooper/HRE

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros