Subscribe Today

Who is the "The King Of Ice Ovals" ?

Postby Ovals Forever » January 28th, 2008, 3:51 am

I agree that Mike Houle is one of the best drivers ever period.
Myself being a Ski Doo man I liked him, but Jacques has been around since the early 70's, before Mike Houle and is still winning races long after mike Houle, and do you want to talk about bad crashes?
I know dam well no one holds a candle to Jacques in that department.
Dave Wahl won a WC with a broken leg to, how about the year Jacques crashed in turn 2 and raced the rest of the weekend with broken ribs.
I would guess that Jacques has enough bad wrecks to retire 3 or 4 drivers.
Sometimes you have to give credit where it is do even if maybe you don't like the person, no one has promoted this sport more than he has, and no one has more love for it than he does.
Ovals Forever

Postby Flatout » January 28th, 2008, 4:14 am

Without a doubt there is only one "King of the Ovals". He started his career in racing almos 4 decades ago and is showing no sign of slowing down. He has more racing wins and yes racing scars than any other driver on the track. This year he was a serious contender for the WC at 54. Im sorry Mike but you retired 10 years too early to be in Jacques league. Jacques accomplishments would take way too long to list here. His determination to win and his passion for the sport make him the undisputed KING OF THE OVALS and anyone that disagrees just doesent know the facts.
In my opinion anyway!!
:C
Flatout

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » January 28th, 2008, 4:22 am

[quote=Legendinmyownmind]Ok this subject aactually made me sign up for this site...........This is an absolute no brainer for me.....Mike Houle. From his Polaris Days in the late 80's/early 90's......then joining ski-doo, from stock sleds, sprinters, F-3, champ, every class, every event, when he lined up he was the man to beat.every time......look at race results and tell me when JV EVER beat him without a crash or mechanical failure....JV has 3 WC titles, Houle has 2 in the wc in what 5 tries?, and one with a broken leg when he could hardly ride, let alone the other 20+ world titles in other classes, his dominance in F-III...the best class of all time literally ruined the class...and i cant remember Dave Wahl beating him either, maybe once.......and i would love love love to see either of those guys hop on a stocker and line up with him.....thats just funny....and how about balls of steel after his horrible Valcourt crash...the next year same move on same guy in same corner first lap in....for those of you who know what i am talking about i dont need to say anymore[/quote]

The difference between a guy like Jacques and Houle...like you just did, is you have to have a long paragraph explaining why Houle deserves it and with Jacques, you just say "Jacques".

Richard Petty = Longevity, Consistent winning every year, Longevity (twice), and being nothing but a true Ambassodor to the Sport.

A lot of the guys that have been mentioned really do not fall into this category. This is not a popularity question.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Postby CoryEwingdeactivated » January 28th, 2008, 4:49 am

Just some facts for you guys. This was looked up in 2005 when my dad was inducted.

Most Feature Wins All-Time:

Sno-Pro/Formula I/Champ 440 (Top class of all eras):

1. Jacques Villenueve
2. Dave Wahl
3. Dale Loritz
4. Brad Hulings
5. Terry Wahl

All Pro Classes Combined:

1. Darcy Ewing
2. Mike Houle
3. Jacques Villenueve
4. Brad Hulings
5. Brian Sturgeon

As you can see, Jacques is on both lists, and he never ran anything but the Top Class since the late 70's. There were times when Mike would rake in 5-6 Pro wins on a weekend.
#6 HOGLUND RACING TEAM

[b]WWW.HOGLUNDLAW.COM[/b]
CoryEwingdeactivated

Postby Legendinmyownmind » January 28th, 2008, 11:20 am

Ok....i guess the fact that JV never finished ahead of Houle in a race means nothing...i have respect for his longevity, but seemed more dangerous to me on the track than a threat to win.
Legendinmyownmind

Postby 323Driver » January 28th, 2008, 2:53 pm

Can we have a US and a north of the border winner?

North: Jacqo............no question.
USA: Dave Wahl
Terry Wahl
Dale Loritz
Mike Houle
Four way tie in the US. All great drivers, builders, and ambassadors.

Get well soon Jacques! The sport is not the same without you.

Chip Hendry
323Driver

Postby TigorRacing176 » January 28th, 2008, 4:44 pm

Just because he never beat Mike(according to Legondinmyownworld) doesnt mean Mike is the greatest, JV has been racing since Jesus himself was in the top classes. If you look it up it went
1st- JV
2nd- Jesus
3rd- Moses.

This guy has been racing forever and i wouldnt be suprised if he raced atleast 5 more years.

Mike was a great driver but to be king you have to be on top for a long time and JV has done that. For what 30 years and still ready to ride.

my $.02

Why is JV dangerous on the track. Is it because he is agressive?? If he sees that his sled can fit he puts it in there. Now sometimes there isnt enough room or it the other person comes down and he tries anyway doesnt mean he is a dirty driver ITS RACING IT HAPPENS. Every racer as bumped someone at one point or another.
TigorRacing176

Postby Ovals Forever » January 28th, 2008, 7:13 pm

Tiger, that is funny.
Is it a 100% fact the Jacques never beat Mike Houle, not even once?
I don't know, I am just asking.
Ovals Forever

Postby WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF » January 28th, 2008, 7:39 pm

Ovals Forever,
We didn't see much of Mike out east and if my memory serves me, Mike ran Formula 111 and stock classes until the early 90's. JV and Mike probably didn't race together that much. You Americans and the snowmobile hall of fame keep forgetting the Vessairs. Both Gary and Bruce could beat anyone and did, all the time!!! You only seem to know what went on in the US. Canada had the best racing with the biggest purses and driver turnout for much of the glory days of oval racing. I am not saying anything bad about the other associations, just oval racing history happened at other associations other than the ones in the United States. David
DAVID RIEMENSCHNEIDER
WAVEY DOG #26 OSRF

Postby TigorRacing176 » January 28th, 2008, 8:02 pm

Ovals Forever i was quoting off Legend i fixed it in my post.
TigorRacing176

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros