Subscribe Today

Ok Racers/ Crews/Fans/Promoters

Postby Race Ranger 1 » March 2nd, 2009, 4:02 am

Prochump, Here it is for you in plain sight. Most of the problems in orgazations is from people like yourself-keyboard racers or has beens that were really not much at all. Tim I see on another forum you were gonna bring 2 sleds last weekend. I personally walked all through the pits looking for the ole chump but he was not to be found! I did see at every race I have been to this year all 7 of them, was a group of people trying to put on, support, sponsor or actually race a sled!! I thank these people when ever I see them!!
Race Ranger 1

Postby kenlacy » March 2nd, 2009, 4:23 am

RR1, if you have a problem with prochamp, pm him. It is not adding anything constructive to this thread. If you want to add debate to his specific issues, this is the place.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Postby RacinFan » March 2nd, 2009, 6:42 am

I like the idea of condensing the classes. Yes i imagine it might chase some people away at first, but long haul I would think it would make things easier on the racers. Seems like things would be more clear cut for the racer, fan and promoter.

Instead of having a new class to try to promote, build and watch every year, there could/would be 4/5 classes to "tweak" each year.

I think it is important to have stock sleds at the track. I know it is hard to set up a stocker, and its hard to drive, but I do believe we need to find a way to revive stock racing.

I believe we have to come up with some sort of racing progression that starts with the stocker and ends with the open mod champ sled. I progression which aids the development of the driver/team.

Example: Step 1: Pure Stock, Step 2: Mod Stock (suspension modifications allowed), Step 3: Mod (Chassis Modifications Allowed), Step 4: (Chassis and Motor Modifications Allowed)

Step 1: Gives u seat time, builds "toughness", u learn how to "tame the beast"

Step 2: U learn how to modify your suspension, make your stocker a bit more user friendly

Step 3: U learn how to "build" or work with a mod chassis, (but have to leave the motor alone?)

Step 4: Ur on your own, the only think holding u back is motor size, chassis weight and your imagination.

I don't know if any of that could work or makes sense, but its just an idea i had floating in my head.

I think we need a way to get stock racing back to the track to give our sport a face, and gain interest from the factories (maybe make things more interesting for the fan...ie cause brand wars).

I also think we need to come up with some progression to help develop our racers/teams.
Matt Maurer
RacinFan

Postby slandon » March 2nd, 2009, 7:40 am

Guys as a veteran member of the snowmobile media who has begged for people to turn stuff in and get information out to us I can tell you this sport needs all the exposure it can get beyond guys posting on forums. The Soo, Eagle River and a few others draw fans because they promote a good portion of the year. Sadly most drivers park their sleds the minute the season ends never to be seen again until just before the season starts. Please take advantage of your summer festivals, fairs, parades etc.. to show off your stuff and talk to young people about getting into racing. I spoke to a small engine teacher from an area high school who said he would love to have a racer or team mechanic come talk to his kids and show off a sled. He said all they have to do is call and ask. I bet a lot of high school engine or shop classes would jump at the chance to have someone come in especially in the fall but you'll never know unless you try.
You have public access T.V. which is free to non-profits such as racers, most racing groups and events. Get a crew together, do a show about your team or your style of racing. If you do it right these types of TV shows will be seen over and over. Our family just took a class at a local station, we were amazed at how many viewers these stations get. Most communities have one of these community cable stations serving their market, give them a call, they are always looking for show ideas.

What people fail to realize is the fact there are so many ways to promote the sport and get young drivers interested. It just takes a little time and a willingness to keep your eyes and ears open for opportunities just as you do when you're looking for sponsors

As for me I am totally lost - guys call here every week wondering why there are fewer magazines,newspapers print or web covering racing these days. Well I assure you it is not racing alone that has these problems. Newspapers I have spoken to practically have to beg local coaches to get scores and stats from their area schools. Most people think the media is just suppose to know about the events happening. Guess what they don't, they have to be told about them. A sport will not grow if it is not exposed in the media and beyond the track during the off season as well as during the season. Snowmobile racing can grow again if people are educated on just how great and exciting it really is. You need to support the few people out their covering racing and take advantage of the areas you have to promote the sport to new fans and potential drivers. If that can't be done snowmobile racing will continue to suffer and you see more features like we've been doing on the snowmobile racing focusing on Remember When?
slandon

Postby PDRacing » March 2nd, 2009, 11:01 am

I totally agree with Slandon,

A lot of people don't do the leg work.

I feel It really needs to be Marketing First, Racing Second if you truly want to get sponsors to help your budget and grow the sport.

With the Marketing you build a revenue stream, with which you can afford to race, at the end of the day dollars will help you go faster (well that's what I hope :h ) and help grow the sport to grander scale.

We have to be a Show, teams need to be presentable and travel to their prospective sponsors locations or affiliates, do open houses, press releases and town fairs etc, preseason while they are not as busy and the equipments all in one piece. Additionally this Marketing draws attention of the overall sport of Snowmobile Oval Racing, the races, locations etc. Unfortunately it turns it into a bit of a job, but you don't get something for nothing.

Perhaps the sanctioning bodies could hold a meeting for their prospective teams and provide some guidance and ideas for the ones that lack the expertize in gaining sponsorship. Sort of a Sponsorship 101.

In these economic times we can offer pretty descend exposure to companies for a fairly reasonable dollar.

just my 2cents worth,

P.S.

Hats off To Eagle River, coordinating a Fighter Jet FlyBy :C That was excellent Marketing, Sponsors / Fans love being part of that excitement.

Cheers,
Richard Scroggs #13 EPT
PDRacing

Postby watcher » March 2nd, 2009, 11:42 am

Slandon,did Derek send you pictures from USSA races, we talked about that at the Soo and i did tell him. i know he will read this at WhiteWater in his free time. i will also e-mail him and ask too.

thanks Steve
watcher
watcher

Postby Ovals Forever » March 2nd, 2009, 12:10 pm

Flying_FEJ,
Where do race that they get 50 sprint cars?
I want to go, I really like sprint car racing.
Ovals Forever

Postby watcher » March 2nd, 2009, 12:36 pm

www.plymouthdtr.com
they did not have 50 but between 35 to 43 Sprint 360, 22 to 25 Late Models, 28 to 32 Grand Nationals and 16 to 20 Outlaw Compacts every Saturday night in summer. have to see how many this summer after this hard year????

watcher
watcher

Postby 323Driver » March 2nd, 2009, 3:15 pm

I agree Terry......think this season may be a little thinner in IMCA and Wissota. Be interested to see how many of the Oshkosh cars are crosovers. Got any inside info TWag?
323Driver

Postby Flying_FEJ » March 3rd, 2009, 3:27 am

It happens here in indiana from time to time especially usac sprint week. Mostly non-wing stuff. Indiana has very little wing stuff anymore as they have sort of priced themselves right of people being able to afford them. Like Terry said though we will have to see what this year brings with this wonderful economy, but here at my shop there are 2 brand new cars, one is done and the other is ready to be made into a roller with a second motor soon to follow. Ain't my deal (I am just the truck driver/mud scraper)
Flying_FEJ

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros