Subscribe Today

Truly New & Exciting

Truly New & Exciting

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 1st, 2011, 10:01 am

I know there has been serious oposing views on the "rebirth of F1 twin track sleds", especially when the talk is concerning demoting the current Champ class to playing second fiddle.
I have had a hard time deciding if I want to be for or against the whole idea BUT one thing I strongly beleive is that ice oval racing really needs a shot of ADRENALINE.
This sport needs to find a way to draw a lot of NEW TALENT or soon we will not have a sport.
I am currently, mostly late at night, designing a race sled that will truly be New & Exciting.
I will not release ANY details until I have solidified a few things.
Everyone needs to realize that my intention is NOT to make Champ obsolete, it is to run beside Champ and let the chips fall where they may, there is certainly room for both if we draw the NEW DRIVERS I am targeting.
These are my goals:
#1- Must have appeal to competitors from other motorsports such as moto-x, stock car and go-cart racers, as well as current snowmobile racers.
#2- Should be physically less demanding so a person would be able to race competitively without being a true athlete.
#3- Sleds capable of winning Must be affordable AND available to all.
#4- Rules must be designed so that deep pockets are no real advantage BUT not so much spec. stuff that the gear heads loose interest. THIS PART REQUIRES LOTS OF THOUGHT. Sincerely, John Hooper
jhooper/HRE

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Corey C » February 1st, 2011, 10:07 am

Just for clarification is this "new race sled that will truly be New & Exciting" for the F1 series or a separate venture?
Corey C

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Bonn Cup » February 1st, 2011, 10:17 am

Sure nice to read something POSITIVE and not the other BS that is on here !!
Hope you can keep EVERYONE happy and help out oval racing like you did with F500
Eganville awaits your outcome !!
[b]Merv Boldt[/b]
Bonn Cup

Truly New & Exciting

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 1st, 2011, 10:20 am

This is a totally seperate venture and I don't have a name for it yet.
I am planning on Speed / performance being comparable to a Champ BUT physically easier to drive and winning equipment much more available to all.
jhooper/HRE

Truly New & Exciting

Postby kenlacy » February 1st, 2011, 11:03 am

Sounds like a great start!
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Truly New & Exciting

Postby lynxer » February 1st, 2011, 11:26 am

This sounds like a very logical down to earth approach. Much unlike that other wacko from Canada.

Wasn't F500 partially one of J Hooper's ideas from the start too? It seems to be working out!

Very exciting to see a respected, expereienced, and logical person working to pump up the sport.

Thank you in advance Mr. Hooper
lynxer

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Ovals Forever » February 1st, 2011, 11:36 am

John this is great news, I have a pretty good idea of what you are thinking, because we have talked about it before.
You are the one person that needs to spear head a deal like this, you have the experience and knowledge needed to perform this task.
Go John Go.

Keep in mind everyone this is comming from the guy that built the engines on the 1st and 2nd place sleds at E.R. this year, and has more world championships as an engine builder than I can even remember for sure, if anyone should not want change for his own good it would be him but isn't it great that he dosen't think that way, I totaly believe with out a doubt that John Hooper is all for the good of the sport and not just what is good for him, John I wish there were more like you out there.
You with the help of the Wahls did the sport well when you came up with the F 500 and I am sure this new sled will do the same.

Thank You,
Darren Gissel
Ovals Forever

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Ovals Forever » February 1st, 2011, 11:39 am

One more thing John, unlike some people out there, people will listen to you and believe what you say, because your past speaks for itself.
Thank's again.
Ovals Forever

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Corey C » February 1st, 2011, 1:43 pm

Good luck. Bet it is gonna be cool.
Corey C

Truly New & Exciting

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 2nd, 2011, 3:40 am

Just a few details I am sure of:
#1-There will be no titanium anywhere on these sleds.
#2-There will be no exotic or one-off tracks, they will all use exactly the same track.
#3-No exotic clutches, everyone will be using the same brand with their choice of tuning components.
#4-They will all have Spec. skis with no modifications allowed.
#5-Brake system will be inexpensive oem spec. components.
#6-Most of the chassis will be spec. and built by one manufacturer
#7-I will use off-the-shelf oem components for quite a bit of this project.
#8-The engine will be around 600 or 700cc with modifications allowed on very limited components. No more endless engine/pipe development. Speed/hp will be regulated with restrictor plates if needed for various tracks.
#9-I will have at least 1 of these finished before Nov. 2011 to test and demo at various races next season.
#10-This sled will generate more NEW interest in our sport than anything in recent memory.
This sled will not be just a slightly different version of a dead class!!
jhooper/HRE

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros