Subscribe Today

Truly New & Exciting

Truly New & Exciting

Postby that 31 car » February 21st, 2011, 9:36 am

Petawawarace:
My only thought on some "steer"in the third ski, is if it was fixed, it may in my mind set up a really severe push. Now if as John states its just for "parking" so to speak, then it may not push at all. My thoughts go to asphalt cars where heavy left rears make for going straight up the hill if you follow my thought pattern.
As to the toe clip,you have a excellent point. I stand corrected, we mostly worked with solid linkage stuff.
that 31 car

Truly New & Exciting

Postby proton » February 21st, 2011, 9:57 am

John/Dave go to motorstate.com...they have all sorts of fuel cells ranging from 1gal on up....has anyone considered putting the engine behind the driver(immediately)with the jackshaft between the engine and the driver with the chaincase between the driver and tunnel running forward to the track drive...would move the clutches out of the roll cage and allow for a proper fire wall...put the fuel cell and lube tank in front of the tunnel where the engine was.
proton

Truly New & Exciting

Postby mbenoy119 » February 21st, 2011, 10:27 am

I really think it makes sense to put the motor in backwards, have the chaincase be on the other side and be the only thing near the driver? Pipes would go straight back.
mbenoy119

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Petawawarace » February 21st, 2011, 10:30 am

I think it is really going to depend on how much weight is on that third ski. I think to make them "slide" better, the more left side weight, the better.

John,

Have you considered putting electric start on it? I know it will add weight, but the driver won't be able to start it from inside the seat if it doesn't. Also, you could eliminate the recoil, push the engine to the right and save some room at the drivers feet.

Here is a link to one of the steering boxes I was talking about

http://www.predatorraceproducts.com/servlet/the-76/stiletto-dwarf-car-modlite/Detail
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Petawawarace » February 21st, 2011, 10:34 am

I thought about the rear engine thing, it has some definite pros. One thing though is you would have to run a gear-drive set-up to turn the track forward. If you put it behind the driver, you could drive the track from the rear axle as well. Unfortunatly I think you start putting the driver too far forward, or making the thing too long.
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Truly New & Exciting

Postby proton » February 21st, 2011, 10:40 am

I know some guys running this exact steering box in scca in the DSR and open wheel formula classes with great success.
proton

Truly New & Exciting

Postby prochamp » February 21st, 2011, 11:44 am

[quote=2tracksnflatout] I just don't see this deal as having the sex and/or fan appeal to become a major player (its my opinion). Its not racers that are needed, its fans! I say this loosely, we do need new young talent to come into the sport, however the 3 ski deal won't attract the demographic of drivers needed to up the standards of the sport.

Eagle River this year had the lowest Sunday attendance ever seen thats not weather related by about 50%. Will the track owners admit that - doubtful. Ice oval racing has a major PRODUCT problem! Its the product problem that needs to be addressed, not the entry counts (and I use that last point loosely).[/quote]

Shawn
I AGREE with you 100% about the Fan Base

Problem is Racers think that they bring the fans and thats how the fan base grows.
Talking about that with a core group of Racers has never been productive and most likely never will. Thats where the "Sport" needs a Marketing Plan, a group of the most influential players, to sit down and plan a direction and strategy to grow the sport. This then allows the different classes of machines to be developed, but racers always think its the cost of racing as to why numbers are down, when reality is its the "fan Base and payback" to the racers and PROMOTERS that drive particpation.
Back in "the Day" of Snowmobile racing when we had all the entries, and racers, you could actually pay the racing bills, racing sleds. Not so today. We are racing for our own Money and it is a whirlwind spiral that nobody's ever going to win. All professional sports venues are experiencing this today and we are no different just alot smaller piece of the pie.

How do you convince Racers of this??? If I knew I could retire tonight, but until people understand the Marketing side of it, you will always have divided sides trying to believe there way is the only way. Creating new classes may bring some new particpation, but if the Fan Base does not grow nothing can survive it.. Thats why Snowcross has been succesful, it was all new Marketing, and the OEM'S were and are behind it. They also are seeing the down trend now as well with lower fan base and particpation as its getting Old and the same thing day in and Out

Just my opinion
prochamp
prochamp

Truly New & Exciting

Postby pauls650 » February 21st, 2011, 1:12 pm

the reason racing in general is hurting is because the kids dont go and do stuff,the sit and text & game there lives away,i have two teenage girls who race,sleds -cars and they are the exception, it will never be like it was,too many distractions for kids and they dont like the cold.
this sled has huge things to offer,keep on working on it, i may want to get one.
pauls650

Truly New & Exciting

Postby proton » February 21st, 2011, 2:49 pm

In our spray planes, we started putting 5 point harnesses that have airbags in the straps...one bag goes in front of the pilots face with two others that form a curtain on each side....all self contained with no external power.
proton

Truly New & Exciting

Postby Ovals Forever » February 21st, 2011, 4:22 pm

[quote=Pol-Cat]Very interesting new idea, very amazing how well the idea's are being sorted thru and discussed, absolutely awesome there is already a prototype coming together in the fab shop! I dont want to waste space you important people can be using, but I'll butt in for just a minute in regards to the proposals for STARTING out, as I don't doubt this sled will get enough competitors in a few short years to have a open/mod class, but to start out... My opinion of the discussion is I like the singe brand engine, a stock engine with enduro type pipes, programmed cdi, spec fuel, and 9000+rpm's to get the 130-140hp. I like the idea of them being set up loose to help prevent roll over's too often. And coming from the MIRA/SOO enduro world, I really like the pit stops idea, it gives us mechanics something more to do that can impact and put us more in the race:B, but it would make things much more costly if burning thru the ice and starting to eat up carbides, studs, and tracks in the dirt became an issue like in oval enduro racing. I agree this concept will draw back many older and retired racers, but it will also draw in many new people (racers from other motorsports) that have never even been on a sled before, but will "climb into" a sled just because they like to race. Whats the initial idea of what it's gonna cost to have one of these sleds on the ice and ready to race? Handlebars or a wheel? Gas/brake controls? Good luck to all of you pushing this ahead, it's great to see you talented people come together to try and save oval racing!

Last thing...lol...kids are scared nowadays???? I dont remember ever seeing Evil Knievel do a no-handed, double back flip, having MMA being the premier fighting style on pay-per-view, or have a TV show about "jackass" morons doing stupid stuff that turned into 3 motion pictures:S:B[/quote]

I don't think it is the kids that have the fear, it's the parent's that have the fear, and the parent's also have the $$$$$$$$$$.
Ovals Forever

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros