Subscribe Today

things to think about !

things to think about !

Postby mbenoy119 » March 14th, 2012, 7:23 am

I have often thought that a 3" wide strip of rubber on the outside of the ski as a deflector would work. It would have to be pretty stout, but not too stiff either. That's a good concept Alan, perhaps it is something that can be tested?
mbenoy119

things to think about !

Postby Petawawarace » March 14th, 2012, 7:33 am

I like the idea of the skiis and enclosing the tunnel more. I'm thinking that the majority of the snow-dust is caused from the sleds lifting it off of the ice, but I very well could be wrong. Good idea for someone to try.

Jeff
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

things to think about !

Postby Dahlke882 » March 14th, 2012, 8:35 am

With some simple modifications to the current ski extrusion you could use something like a "brush" or "sweep" similar to what you would find on the bottom edge of an industrial entrance door. Soft enough it would never hold the ski up, but enough material to knock a majority of the dust ice to the track as compared to up in the air. You could even have the channel extruded into the ski blank, use a couple rivets to hold the material in the channel and replace as it wore.

Later, Alan
Dahlke882

things to think about !

Postby bobspears1 » March 16th, 2012, 12:51 pm

Having just viewed the picture from Allan,thanks for tip on viewing images BTW, 440 mod! Looks like real hard ice. The rubber strip attached to the ski's. Good. Perhaps a length of aluminum L with the rubber riveted to it? Would the rules people allow the two holes drilled into the ski's? Or 3 holes, so we could trap the dust down at the rear,additionally. The rubber is pretty easy to find at Farm and Fleet type businesses. The compactor idea isn't good,it would never get down in the grooves created by the ski's in the corners. Bob
bobspears1

things to think about !

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » March 16th, 2012, 2:46 pm

I wish somebody had the conditions now to test the idea of trying to deflect whats coming off the outside ski. I'm not totally convinced it would work tho, it may help. As far as going down the straight aways and there's plenty of snow there too, I just don't see it helping. Maybe I'm not seeing it as others and maybe I'm wrong too. It's worth trying, but would like it tested before adding it as a safety device.

We all have to remember the speed of the sleds is a factor, classes that are say fifteen miles an hour slower don't have near the snowdust. Even if there's a full field of drivers in there class too. By no means am I saying to slow the sleds down either, just stating speed is a factor.
Spy-Guy 74

things to think about !

Postby proracer » March 16th, 2012, 6:38 pm

Here's what sould be done to keep the snowdust to the ground instead of up in the air from the outside of each ski. Do like Alouette 1972-74 (i guess)old ski with an edge 1/2'' turn down on the outside of the ski. That would keep the snowdust down instead of coming up in the air like yous see on some previous pictures from Beausejour. And the more i think about it and the more it make sense. Just look at some photos of movie of race corner speed and you'll see what i mean. It should be made mendatory to have ski like that for safety. Just the outside of the ski won't change anything in the control of the sled, but would make less snowndust and more safe.

Bye
JV#96:)
proracer

things to think about !

Postby ice_racer_440 » March 17th, 2012, 7:47 am

Anyone give thought into keeping the sno flap off the ice abit. I know they were pretty particular about that in BJ a few years ago when i raced. Tech said it had to touch the ice when you sit on the sled. I personally think it stirs up what is on the ice and what the studs are chewing up. I no "what about safety". It dont have to be much couple inches maybe? Obvouisly still have dust from the skis.
ice_racer_440

things to think about !

Postby bobspears1 » March 17th, 2012, 8:54 am

With these ideas, together,we will not fail. Just got the tv long enough to watch USN Giant Slalom Racing from Austria.They were saying how warm it was at the top if the hill, 50 degrees.And one sentence,"racing on this chemically frozen snow".A replay should follow,it was on,Dish 9879. Naturally the speakers did'nt elaborate. We did'nt see the full hour,thanks to Her bumper car's from ESPN. The black eye she gave me is really starting to ========= . I'd be up for going testing,, Greenland? Siberia? As the old song say's "Its gonna take a lot of money" just getting there and back. Would'nt it be great if we found out that ground up corn cobs worked.? LOL-- Later, Bob
bobspears1

Previous

Return to Ovals & Enduros