Subscribe Today

Speaking of Saftey, again

Postby Bob Vehring » April 2nd, 2012, 4:02 am

I'll throw this out for whatever its worth, it may or may not be a help with sleds
This was set up weekend at the kart track. For most of our exsistance like many other tracks we relied on hay bales as our saftey barriers.
About 7 years ago we tried to completely different aproch
The first thing we went to, and what may be an option for sleds was crash bags. Very simple, altho almost any size could be made, ours are 6 ft x 4 ft high. They are some type of urethane cover material sewn on 3 sides with a zipper on the forth. These are filled with scraps of foamm. They are a giant foam pillow.
Ours orginally came from a person making them in Mi. We paid $100. ber filled bag. That person is no longer around but we have found that any uporstery shop, or anyone with a good sewing maching can make up the covers. The foam he was getting was free, it was the cut off scraps from a materess company that they were paying to get rid of their scraps.
The foam itself never gets danaged and we simply have new bags made if they get ripped. Ours are bright red, yellow and blue for visability.
We commonly have karts ( 350-450 lbs with driver), go straight into these at 60-70 MPH very little injury, or damage to the karts, they simply wrap around you.
Our set up method for these is two rows of bags on high impact corners and a single row in less critical areas. Thes are spaced 3 ft or so away from our secondary barriers which line the track

The secondary barriers used to be hay bails. For years we would bag each bail in HD plastic bags to try to keep them dry ( light).
5 Years ago after looking at the cost per year we had on Bales we invested in Plastic inter-locking barriers. Our intial purchase was 40 K but we will brake even on this over a 10 year period and don't have to deal with al the work of puting out, picking up and constantly replacing the hay bales.
The plastic barriers have a 1/2 round end on one side and a concave end on the other so they can move together. They then use semi ratchet straps through the center and we hook them into 40 ft long sections.
When hit, they will move fairly easy at the point of impact, but slow you quickly because they must drag along 40 ft of barriers, kind of an accordian effect.
These two things used together has not only dramaticly cut down any injuries, it also stops most damage to the karts
Both of these are somewhat ajustable for different types of vehicles. Pillows can be made smaller or larger and filled with more or less foam. Barriers can be filled with either sand or water to any point to increase the amount of drag they have , or, you can simply make the chain longer.
The one draw back to these is transportation, their both very light, but they are bulky to transport

Altho these both are now common in karts and bikes, I have never seen it used with sleds and an just throwing the idea out there.
Bob Vehring
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring

Postby proton » April 2nd, 2012, 9:50 am

We treat for mosquitos with airplanes...we use a product called Bt, it comes in large bags that are almost indestructible about 3x3x5 ft...we used them at the race track filled with straw, it worked good, kept the straw dry and was very very safe....the mosquito district's near us gave them to us as long as we took all of them(80-120)...putting foam in them sounds good too

It was difficult(very time consuming) filling and moving them...if this draw back could be resolved I think these barriers are excellent
proton

Postby USSA155 » April 5th, 2012, 11:20 am

I like what your suggesting Bob. I looked at envorimental foam blocks, but they were just too stiff. Tratitional airbags were too expensive. something that could be made ourselves with some help sounds like a good soultion.

Josh
USSA155

Postby watcher » April 5th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Back a few years ago, we went a look at Foam Blocks, but after we talk to the company that made them.....they want nothing to do with snowmobile Racing..... Liability Issues......won't even talk prices on different foam blocks.

watcher
watcher

Postby Bob Vehring » April 5th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Watch that story Terry before Home Depot heres it
Watched a guy saw his hand off once
Bob Vehring
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring

Postby watcher » April 5th, 2012, 2:05 pm

Home Depot does not make the block, they will sill you anything. we want the Best price and Best foam that would take the impack without so called "Hard Walls". But once they knew what we wanted, they were no longer interested.

watcher
watcher

Postby that 31 car » April 5th, 2012, 3:18 pm

Can confirm what "watcher" said. I was there. Once they found out what we wanted the foam for, it was off the table. Not engineered for the use, never tested for the use, not for sale for the use or anything similar. Reputable, large company, still active in the foam business, just totally hands off on anything related to safety barriers.
Checked out one other without Watcher, and got the same results when I explained what the intended use was to be.
that 31 car

Postby Crager » April 7th, 2012, 5:43 am

http://www.foampitcubes.com/
Crager

Postby Bob Vehring » April 7th, 2012, 6:31 am

Just from looking my guess is that type of foam absorbs water, something you definately don't want.
The foam in ours is more like a nylon, almost like the stuff inside a good sled jacket for insulation.
If there is any interest I probably could bring one to the USSA meeting or maybe the ISR if its held around here.
Bob Vehring
www.4cyclecentral.com
www.120sledracer.com
Bob Vehring

Return to Ovals & Enduros