Subscribe Today

oval racing safety improvements

Re: oval racing safety improvements

Postby proton » March 23rd, 2014, 2:26 pm

MIRA used large tyvec type bags filled with loose hay/straw, these bags were 4ftx4ftx6ft and were water proof. they were from the local mosquito control program, they were used to transport the ground up corn cobb used for mosquito control. they worked good, it was a lot of work to fill them, but as a crash barrier they were superb. they had 50-60 of them around the corners.
proton

Postby bub37 » March 23rd, 2014, 6:34 pm

Gerry,
I have a couple of these big tote bags around the marina, I can't even recall how I acquired them, they are approx. 6'x6'x5' tall, they have 2 heavy straps on them as they could have been lifted with a hoist, crane etc.
I have 125 boats, pontoons ect. shrinkwrapped in winter storage and if spring ever arrives we will eventually start unwrapping and dewinterizing. The used shrinkwrapped cannot be reused and recycling it is quite costly being that they want me the ship it 2000 miles to Toronto. I try to give away lots of the old wrap to anyone who has a use for it (covering hay, firewood building supplies ect.) but unfortunately lots still ends up in the waste site.
I stuff these totes as full as we can with the used shrinkwrapped, and I could see where they may work to absorb impact force. I just had a little concern of flammability, but there may not be an issue as when we shrink wrap boats you use a open flamed propane torch and in order to burn a hole in the plastic the flame has to be concentrated in one spot for a few seconds and almost touching it, and in the 35+ yrs of snowmobile racing I personally have never seen a sled that has crashed cash on fire.
Hope I didn't get a little to long winded, but it may be something to explore further.

Barry(Bub) @ MPH
bub37

Postby that 31 car » March 23rd, 2014, 8:45 pm

Thank you. I really think this has some merit. Once a outside container could be sourced, stuffing them with this salvage material might just be the answer. Perhaps one could learn how dense to pack the material to control the impact.
I will stay in touch. I will PM you with more detailed questions. Thanks
Korinek
that 31 car

Postby that 31 car » March 23rd, 2014, 8:47 pm

Proton:
Any body got pictures of these containers in use in MIRA? If so contact me.
Thanks
that 31 car

Postby proton » March 23rd, 2014, 9:31 pm

I will Jerrry....we will be treating mosquitoe in 3 weeks, I could get about 60 of them if you want,they will set them aside for me rather than throw them away,I think they are the same bags as bub37 has used, they are made from what looks like plastic fibers weaved into a fabric, coated on both the inside and out with a plactic membrane(water tight) and have two large straps on the top of the bag to lift with a fork truck and an opening on the bottom that is tied shut with a rope, I will get some pictures to you
proton

Postby bub37 » March 24th, 2014, 9:09 am

Proton,
It sounds like the same exact tote bags.
bub37

Postby proton » March 24th, 2014, 11:00 am

Still trying to dig up some pictures for Jerry, they use the same bags to transport bulk seed to growers...
proton

Postby Crager » March 24th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Crager

Postby kkracing » March 24th, 2014, 8:38 pm

I work in the agruculture industry and these bags are used for distributing bulk seed to growers. i can get ahold of these if you are interested. i beleive there are a few companies that send seed out in these and then they want them discarded. i will get one of these bags and bring it to the banquet so you can see it for your self. i will have more info about how many i can get ahold of by then.

Chris Stephenson
kkracing

Postby bobspears1 » March 26th, 2014, 6:08 am

Pe4rhaps safer alternative is doing it Speedway style, Round robn
bobspears1

Previous

Return to Ovals & Enduros