Subscribe Today

So much for F500 being affordable

Re: So much for F500 being affordable

Postby that 31 car » December 16th, 2014, 10:58 am

Flatout:
A good reference from an established person in the industry. Thanks. I agree on Delong's equipment, well prepped and well inside budget. Reality is a lot of the GPR stuff is the same way, Greg has some really pretty ones also, but those are his choice or in some cases his key drivers choice. Greg like Jeff can build a straight up go fast F-500 with just knowledge, craftsmanship and relatively little funding.

One last thing though, in your reference to TJ, was that a typo or are you indicating he like me is weight challenged?
Just askin'?
Have a good holiday, all the best.
Korinek
that 31 car

Postby Petawawarace » December 16th, 2014, 11:22 am

Geez Howard, calling people names, and saying my stuff was ugly?? Talk about negativity!!!!

By the way, I agree my sled wasn't the easiest on the eyes, but you only noticed that if you looked at it...
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Postby that 31 car » December 16th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Jeff:
Just humor here: Bickle once told me about a guys race car that was so rough looking, he said it made your eyes bloodshot just looking at it.
Have a good Christmas!
that 31 car

Postby Flatout » December 16th, 2014, 2:02 pm

It was a typo. :o Sorry TJ I edited my post....
Flatout

Postby HRA motorsports » December 16th, 2014, 6:23 pm

sportsman 600 is always looking for competitors. This class does not allow qc clutches and carbon fiber. It also does not have large winner purses so i guess it should be a good entry level class, but yet the entries are very low.
HRA motorsports

Postby Crager » December 16th, 2014, 7:27 pm

I started this thread because I think that these new rules are going to hurt the growth of the class . The class has been steadily growing with the rules that it had.There were some grey areas in the rules that needed addressed.The introduction of memory tachs ,exotic materials and high end race components I think will make people think twice about trying the class.
These additions may be a good idea for the Pro 500 level as suggested by Jeff and John.

Quote:When the races start adding addition purse for any class, this being F500, the price of racing goes up

This is one of the craziest things I have read, because race purses have increased ?? so the racers should all have to spend more money on exotic equipment ???

It would be nice if the racers were asked for their input when changes like this are being proposed ,until yesterday I had never heard about any of theses changes.
I hope the class continues to grow as it provides some of the best racing action every weekend.I just don't want them to end up being $20,000.00 trailing arm Champ sleds.
Crager

Postby fast dad » December 16th, 2014, 8:32 pm

No worries Flatout, I have been called worse!!!

Crater you obviously are new to racing, when the purse goes up so does the interest, and then the equipment goes up, then better racers show up ect.. You may see some younger better riders getting into the F500 just because it is such a great class. Once this happens then the beginner will stand no chance to be successful. I also like the idea of a F500 Pro class and then a beginner class makes it easy for everyone. This class is a great affordable class,rules frozen for 5 years, so what ever you build is good for 5 years. Racing cost money and there will always be someone who spends more than others, like I preach, "those who work the hardest win the most" No need to complain you can not compete, everyone starts somewhere and learns the hard way....not everyone can win, it is sometimes all about the sport and mainly the people..

Happy Holidays!!

TJ
[b]fast dad[/b]
fast dad

Postby Petawawarace » December 16th, 2014, 9:03 pm

Crager, if you read the new rules they actually banned alot of exotic materials. The only place you can use carbon fibre is the hood. No backers, no other body panels. And carbon fiber is not all that exotic anymore.

And the data system is for engine monitoring only. No suspension data at all. If I read it right that means no speed sensors either. Not sure how they can police that with today's GPS systems but either way its far from high end and its being used I testing now anyway.

As for more purse money, what TJ said is spot on. The more money that is up for grabs, the more guys will spend to win it. It's like that in every form of motorsports there is. Right or wrong it's the truth. I built a sled the first year of F500. I was also instrumental in getting rid of the claim rule that was part of the rules. I haven't been involed with the CPT other than helping with F500 tech at a few races, but we used to discuss all these rules at the year end banquet. I assume that's how it's still done, in the CPT and out west but I could be wrong. ISR doesn't create these rules out of thin air, they just create a place for the sanctioning bodies to meet and create a uniform set.

The only rule that has really added any expense is the data rule. And anyone with experience with data will tell you that it saves testing time and thus money. You do have to take some time to learn it and I agree that might scare some newcomers, but in reality, clutching is far more difficult to learn than data systems. The QC and carbon may have the optics that they ill add cost, but they were already being used. And they offer zero performance advantage. I believe these rules have been changed with the classes best interest in mind.
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Postby Crager » December 16th, 2014, 9:46 pm

I haven't seen any increase in Purse money,other than What Ironwood is offering for a one day one time payout.Hopefully other promoters will join in the future .As for regular weekly purse money it would have be a substantial increase to offset $600 clutches and $2000 hoods, a memory tach doesn't cost anymore than a reg tach nowadays and would be a better investment .

TJ as for being new I guess I am, our team has won 6 Championships in the past 6 years so I do know what it takes and how hard you have to work.

Lets hope the sport continues to grow and we all can have fun every weekend doing what we enjoy

See you at the track

Crager
Crager

Postby jhooper/HRE » December 17th, 2014, 6:48 am

I still think the guys that voted to allow things like carbon fiber hoods and qc clutches in the MOST SUCCESFUL ENTRY LEVEL class we have had in 20 years are NITWITS or have an agenda that is less than honorable. John Hooper
jhooper/HRE

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros