Subscribe Today

VALCOURT FUEL TESTING

VALCOURT FUEL TESTING

Postby Flatout » February 16th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Attention all Pro Champ and Pro F500 drivers that will be racing in Valcourt this coming weekend.
I have been inundated with calls asking what to expect in Valcourt as it pertains to fuel testing. We will not be quarantining your fuel or asking you to produce an unopened can. The sealed can is not a guarantee that what ever is actually in the can is what the label says. Most fuel retailers have a drum capper so we have decided to take a different approach.
All drivers will be asked to submit a sample of the fuel they will be using throughout the weekend prior to the race. We will be asking you to disclose exactly what type of fuel you are using and what type of oil you are using and the oil/fuel ratio. We will be doing a barrage of tests prior to your first race and recording the data. If the fuel passes all our tests you will not get a visit from me. If there is a question about your fuel I will be making a trip to your trailer for further investigation. Please note the only allowable fuel is commercially available gasoline that does not contain any power additives or oxygenates. I will not be disclosing what tests we are doing but we now have technology to detect if there is anything other than gasoline in your fuel. Please read your oil specifications because some oils contain power additives and are not allowed. As a rule of thumb if it says on the can or in the literature that it boosts or increases horsepower it probably isn't legal. After the fuel is deemed legal the sample will be sealed and identified by name and bib number. All samples will remain in my possession until after the finals. After the final the top 5 in F500 and top 5 in Pro champ will have to provide a fuel sample that will be compared to the original sample. It must be "identical" to the first sample otherwise it will be deemed as tampered with and could result in disqualification. The penalty for disqualification for illegal fuel will be severe. Please note we will be also doing our regular random tech inspections to all the classes and we will be doing spot checks during heat races.

If you have any questions email me at hgifford@rogers.com

See you in Valcourt
Howard Gifford
Tech Inspector CPT
Flatout

Re: VALCOURT FUEL TESTING

Postby tp176 » February 17th, 2015, 7:58 am

Howard,

FYI - A competitor, of their own decision, can change fuels anytime he so chooses during any event. To say that they must be identical at the close of the weekend is not proper. He may wish to change for several reasons and you and I both know that weather, engine changes or the like may dictate changes to your complete set up - including fuel.

To say that it must still pass all the testing at the end of the competition, or anytime during, is correct.

Tony P
Tony P
315-337-6399
tp176

Postby jhooper/HRE » February 17th, 2015, 8:34 am

Howard,
Sounds good to me, I think most racers are in favor of stricter fuel testing, there is no doubt that a few teams have used fuels that were not really legal but managed to pass the common tests used at the track.
I still think we should have a "spec" fuel and oil and I am sure that the 3 or 4 major engine builders could come to an agreement on this. It would be so much easier on the tech guys if ALL Champ fuel samples had to be EXACTLY the same {no variation in dialectric readings, color, smell etc} John H.
jhooper/HRE

Postby tp176 » February 17th, 2015, 9:25 am

I agree John.
Past discussions always fall on supply and control. If we could simplify that, or find another form of racing to model after, I am for it. That would make Howards system work.

Tony P
Tony P
315-337-6399
tp176

Postby Flatout » February 17th, 2015, 10:26 am

If a competitor wants to change fuel they must submit a sample of it prior to the race to deem if it is legal. I dont know any teams that switch fuel during an event.
Flatout

Postby RacinFan » February 18th, 2015, 11:50 pm

If nothing else, the new fuel testing ideas sound like progress. :) At least in my eyes anyways. :)

I think having a "standard" fuel/oil mixture, could definetly have some benefits.
Matt Maurer
RacinFan

Return to Ovals & Enduros