Subscribe Today

Ideas for Next Season

Ideas for Next Season

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » March 7th, 2016, 10:56 pm

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas to improve oval ice racing for next year. Outside of weather issues I thought it was a great year of racing. Pro-Lite is growing and providing some great racing, the field will have at least four of five new drivers next year in the mid west. F-500 numbers are high and to are providing some very close racing which is nice to see too. Champ sleds could maybe use a few more entries, but really are providing some of the best racing since the class came about. The over all field is the closest it has ever been, Ski-Doo seems to have the best motor package the last couple of years.

Junior classes provided some great racing, but I would like to see larger numbers in the field. Not only does that make for better racing, but it makes these young drivers improve at a much higher pace. I sometimes think if we could maybe help out some of the new comers in the junior class, we may see more growth. I know it would be hard, but if established teams could help out some of these new comers with set up and clutching it would make a difference. Yes I know many of you already do this, I would like others to do the same.

Something else I would like to see done better or at least in my eyes are rule changes. A example for me would be the boost bottle, I feel it might have been better to do away with it, then making it available for everyone. I know it has been passed, I just used it as a example of what I'm trying to get across.

Soon we will be getting together with the circuits we raced in, so really now would be a good time to start discussing the issues we would like to get addressed for the coming year. Thanks for any input
Spy-Guy 74

Re: Ideas for Next Season

Postby RacinFan » March 8th, 2016, 11:35 am

The boost bottle rule does seem a bit goofy, it seems to have had very little effect. Is there anyway the rule can be changed?
Matt Maurer
RacinFan

Postby jhooper/HRE » March 8th, 2016, 12:40 pm

The only Champ rules that are not frozen until 2020 are "safety" rules.
It certainly would have made sense to at least consult with the 3 or 4 Champ engine builders before changing ANY motor rules BUT common sense was not applied.
I doubt the "boost bottle" rule will have much of a performance impact BUT it does open the door for guys with deep pockets to spend more on R & D. John Hooper
jhooper/HRE

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » March 8th, 2016, 8:23 pm

I only used the boost bottle as an example, by no means am I trying to get the rule changed. John because you seem to at least check this site out from time to time I have a few questions. First you being a motor builder and really built all three brands of motors, do you think any particular motor gets more advantage with a boost bottle?

Now days many people are saying the 440 race engines are approaching 130 horse. We raced ten years ago in champ our engine package was more like 114 horse with a Polaris Liberty engine. The power band was quite wide with this engine package and would reach speeds of 101 mph at Beausejour. If Polaris motors are putting out close to 130 horse now they must have much narrower power bands as the speeds don't seemed to increased accordingly. By watching quite a few races this past year I can honestly say the Rotax has more yank out of the corners for sure and a little more yank on the top end too. A few times Colt's Arctic engine may have not had quite as much yank off the corner, but seemed to have more yank on the top end side. Yes I know clutching does play a factor in performance, but I would say all teams in the mid west have clutching sort of mastered most times. So John I guess I'm asking you does a Polaris motor putting out this kind of horse power have a very narrow power band, say over a engine package of 114 horse?

Sorry for sort of going off topic

I would also like to say the Stock 600 class that was run in Eagle River this year, in my eyes was a breath of fresh air for oval racing. The sleds were not that far off from being off the show room floors and provided some very exciting and close racing. If the manufactures each had about 5 sleds in this class it would really help out the race program. I didn't hear any negative comments from anyone that watched the event. I think many of the guys that run in the F-500 class would also give this class a try if some support came from the manufactures themselves.
Spy-Guy 74

Postby jhooper/HRE » March 9th, 2016, 8:04 am

In my testing the Rotax benefits slightly more from the boost bottle but it could be I just have not hit the magic combination for the Arctic or Polaris yet.
In 2002 - 2007 my Arctic engines were the ones to beat and they made 116-118 hp and we ran 102-103 mph @ Beasejour, now all 3 brands I have built are 125-127 hp and they run 104-106 @ Beasejour.
The power band is not narrower, it just takes a lot of hp to gain mph once you get over 100 mph. Todays sleds accelerate much quicker up to 100 mph because of the increase in power. We will have 1 or 2 hp more for next season but the top speeds will probably not change much. John H
jhooper/HRE

Postby Mr.Pipe » March 10th, 2016, 9:04 am

I'd agree completely with what John has said, and would add that the current engines have a far better power spread than the Champ engines of 10 years ago. Better than the stock cylinder champ light engines as well
Mr.Pipe

Postby RacinFan » March 10th, 2016, 11:21 pm

I'm glag Spy_Guy is back. Tell me who cares more...?
Matt Maurer
RacinFan

Postby RacinFan » March 10th, 2016, 11:24 pm

FYI who else has done more for the sport than John Hooper...?
Matt Maurer
RacinFan

Postby ice_racer_69 » March 11th, 2016, 11:36 am

I would like to see the old pro stock 600 class from 02 to 07. ORA still offers the pro stock 440 class in a slightly different facet. Basically, stock sled/motor with open front/rear skid. Maybe no titanium, exotics (unless oem) to keep costs down (somewhat). It allows the current manu's to be involved, yet lets you get the correct geometry to make the sled handle in the corners.
ice_racer_69

Postby #189c » March 12th, 2016, 6:07 pm

I'd like to see more colors out in Fan IFS.
#189c

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros