Subscribe Today

sportsman 600 rules/specs ???where to find?

Postby that 31 car » February 7th, 2013, 3:55 pm

History lesson is this, originally was set up to move up one year each year. When we hit the 2000 model year, some of our guys started to waiver and Pro Ice felt strongly that was the limit. As time went on and Pro Ice moved on to other opportunities, ORA took over and limited their group to 1998, and no special builds. With that as a background, USSA tended to go into limbo with the class, we only published our rules internally and basically kept our heads down. The topic got rather hot at times, and it was felt by the powers that be on both sides of the river it was best to each go their own way. I did approach ORA for some resolve this summer before the book was printed, but their management felt that their members had spoken and wanted to stay with the 98 and no special builds. Rather than start a big political deal, both sides went to their respective corners. And that's where we are now. Monty and Timmer have a obligation to represent their members, and thats what they did. USSA rules people felt the same and held on to their rules. Nothing wrong with that, either. Since it's not a core class or in the ISR book, its regional and each association can do as they wish. If a region only wants it to be pink snowmobiles built in 1999, it's their call. Until it becomes a core class, it's fair game.
From you as a builder, I can see the logic to continue to move up, from the administrative side, frankly the sport is too fragile for a urinating contest. USSA is open to discussion, and perhaps ORA management is, but both groups need to see what their membership wants come spring banquet. Till then it's a mute point.
that 31 car

Postby greybeard444 » February 8th, 2013, 2:33 am

Well stated Jerry. And yes we can continue our discussions, on how to better the class. It's good to see so much interest growing in the class. Talk to you soon.
Bryan ORA
bryan s timmer
greybeard444

Postby 1p48 » February 8th, 2013, 6:59 am

like the open communication gentlemen, very professional... well im on a holding pattern till i hear more come spring to see if you guys can hammer something out.. jerry, can you p.m. me a contact number for you as i would like to touch base with you at a later date regarding rules for a couple of classes?? thanks-- matt
1p48

Postby USSA155 » February 10th, 2013, 10:01 am

I don't check in on the forum as much as I probably should. It's good to see interest in the class, it's growth in USSA has been slow to nonexistent over the past 3 years. I personally think that there is a little room for compromise between the ORA and USSA rules.

If anyone who is intending on building a USSA sportsman per the current rules and has questions, I would be happy to answer them. I have been in the class for 6 years and have ridden 2 different sleds. Of course Jerry's word is final, but I don't mind coaching someone in making a good choice.

Thanks
Josh Wilson
(920)342 2333
USSA155

Postby paulmeisterpk » February 12th, 2013, 11:48 am

So what would be better to use for a sportsman sled, a camoplast 9812R or 9997R track? What are the advantages/disadvantages to either? I have only ever ran a .75 lug on my vintage sleds. Any advantage to the .54 lug?
paulmeisterpk

Postby USSA155 » February 12th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Do not use the short lug. If you run wide, or the track gets snowy it will break away without warning. I have tried that track for 1 race and chabged it out as soon as I got home.

Thanks
Josh
USSA155

Postby rotaxracer33 » February 13th, 2013, 4:30 am

I run a 3/4" and am happy with it. Some other ORA Sport 6s use the 1/2" and bog down with the cushion as Josh mentioned. My opinion, 3/4".
rotaxracer33

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » February 13th, 2013, 5:05 am

I would say most of you would be happier with 9997R track, let's face it your class won't be run on clean ice. The point .54 lug would most likely work better, but you would have to have a freshly plowed and broomed track to make it work for you. The lug on a 9997R is at .725 at this time I believe it would be the one for your class, or let's say you'd be happier with it.
Spy-Guy 74

Postby rotaxracer33 » February 13th, 2013, 8:43 am

[quote=Spy-Guy 74]I would say most of you would be happier with 9997R track, let's face it your class won't be run on clean ice. The point .54 lug would most likely work better, but you would have to have a freshly plowed and broomed track to make it work for you. The lug on a 9997R is at .725 at this time I believe it would be the one for your class, or let's say you'd be happier with it.[/quote]

What Greg said...At Eagle we raced on SNOW 'til the Finals then we got perfect ice, talk about a change in lines there. At Ogilvie it was snow heavy there too. I was able to go around two guys that have the .5" tracks IN the cushion.

IMO...

There's ample power to pull a heavier track and there's a far greater chance to run on snowy ice than clean ice. I'm happy with my "deep lug".
rotaxracer33

Postby HRA motorsports » February 13th, 2013, 11:37 am

I also use a 9997r on both my sportsman and f500 they work great. the only thing with the 9997 is it has an odd lug height, .725, so depending on your stud backer used you might need the .820 height studs or you will have to sharpen down the .875 studs to get them legal
HRA motorsports

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros