Subscribe Today

Limited 500

Limited 500

Postby Schmidt87 » February 13th, 2013, 5:11 am

I see on the Weyauwega post there was an interest in discousing the Limited 500 class. I just thought I would start somewhere for everyone to get together and chat about the class so others can find it and share there thoughts.

Tyler
Schmidt87

Limited 500

Postby Dahlke882 » February 13th, 2013, 7:05 am

Im still not done with mine... Oh, wait thats not what you meant! LOL

Alan
Dahlke882

Limited 500

Postby lynxer » February 13th, 2013, 7:34 am

I think the Limited 500 class is awesome, but it does need some tweeking. The chain case and skid rule makes it tough to buy a used champ sled (that has been built in the last 5-10 years) and turn it into a limited sled. You are forced to either cut it up and put in a new chain case, skid, and track. It gets costly in a hurry. I don't know the answer, but limited might be a little to limited. Jacking the guy around with the arctic cat hood making him move the headlight pod (a TON of work) when it is the hood approved for Factory 600 by arctic cat. Then I see a wahl ski doo hood that isn't even approved for Factory 600 and looks less like a stock machine than other hoods available out there. I see now CPTC has added the class, but I am unsure which rules they are going with... I heard rumors of them running their own version...

Nick
lynxer

Limited 500

Postby mdmill2x » February 13th, 2013, 7:57 am

I am building a ltd 500. I had hoped to have it on the ice at ogilvie but being in an accident on the way home from Wausau and losing my trailer has set me back. I bought an old a arm Wahl chassis. It has a stock chain case but the rails are not legal per current rules. I would like to see two changes

Any commercially available slide rail This allows people to start with an older champ chassis.

Any commercially available chain case

By commercially available I mean Wahl and Houle and Ruglund and Hopper rails and chain case or other commercially available sources

This means you can start with a champ chassis and then move up in the future if you desire

If the above changes are made I will put together a second ltd 500 for next year

I think allowing the hood to be any hood will lower the cost to enter this class too

Marti miller

Miller Racing
mdmill2x

Limited 500

Postby lynxer » February 13th, 2013, 8:06 am

[quote=mdmill2x]I am building a ltd 500. I had hoped to have it on the ice at ogilvie but being in an accident on the way home from Wausau and losing my trailer has set me back. I bought an old a arm Wahl chassis. It has a stock chain case but the rails are not legal per current rules. I would like to see two changes

Any commercially available slide rail This allows people to start with an older champ chassis.

Any commercially available chain case

By commercially available I mean Wahl and Houle and Ruglund and Hopper rails and chain case or other commercially available sources

This means you can start with a champ chassis and then move up in the future if you desire

If the above changes are made I will put together a second ltd 500 for next year

I think allowing the hood to be any hood will lower the cost to enter this class too

Marti miller

Miller Racing[/quote]

And I would have one as well
lynxer

Limited 500

Postby Dahlke882 » February 13th, 2013, 8:07 am

Its going to take a careful discussion to keep the best of both worlds. Youll never make everyone happy. Making it current CHAMP rules with a stock motor isnt viable as it will deter anyone with older equipment, youll have to find a happy medium to keep things CLOSE across the board.

The guy who has a late model WAHL champ will argue about why he should have to give up his fancy billet chaincase and a 106" track and add a couple extra holes. While the guy running a older Wahl trailing arm will complain about having to spend a bunch of $$$$ on late model parts to be competetive.

Maybe the best idea is to keep things simple at first, see if we could change the hood rule, the chaincase rule and slide rail rule. None of these offer a true performance advantage. My rear skid is a complete clone of a current Wahl 116" I was just forced to cut up a set of Polaris rails and spend a bunch of quality time on the mill and welder. The chaincase rule doesnt hold much weight as Polaris and Ski Doo both offer a variety of long chaincases.

This would greatly reduce the amount of change needed to compete with an older sled. I believe Greg Bihner has a T&N Sprinter for about $2500. But it has a Wahl Skid, Champ hood, a billet Chaincase and a 13.5" x 116 track. This should be a perfect limited canidate, look at the amount of work and $$$ needed to convert it for the average joe. This sled could be on the ice for less than $4000 with a few common sense rules changes. Even if he has to buy a 15" wide track it still makes it easy for someone with limited resources and budget to get into the class.

Just my thoughts....

Alan
Dahlke882

Limited 500

Postby mdmill2x » February 13th, 2013, 8:35 am

The second machine I want to convert is a T&N chassis just like Bihners have. I am not sure if the track is 15" or 13.5". I will check tonight when I get home. I agree we want to keep the current sleds competitive. I think it is a good idea for us to start the discussion now and work to build consensus before the year end award meetings

Marti
mdmill2x

Limited 500

Postby rotaxracer33 » February 13th, 2013, 8:39 am

Depending on how the next couple weeks go I may convert my old Wahl trailing arm champ to a Ltd 500. I have a younger driver that is showing interest and I'm not getting any younger, so we'll see.
rotaxracer33

Limited 500

Postby Schmidt87 » February 13th, 2013, 8:49 am

I think Alan is going the right direction with this. keep the principal the same and maybe open up the things that aren't realy a performance advantage such as Chain Case, Rails, and some sort of a change to the hood rule.

I've wanted to get people involved in this discousion for a while now. Would be nice to hear from some of the more experienced builders to hear what they think. Would also like to hear from the Mira Guys because it is growing over there.

Lets hear from all the guys Who either have Limited sleds or have real interest in building one

Tyler
Schmidt87

Limited 500

Postby watcher » February 13th, 2013, 11:30 am

i agree on the hood deal! the way it was writen, there was only one hood ever legal in the class. Brown's,Tyler's & Chip's first hood were OEM but not Current Production Model.
"Hood must be an OEM production or OEM replica. Hood must not be modified in any manner that prevents it from being recognnizied as a current production model snowmobile".

So that makes Nicks/ Wahls/ Schultz/PJ/Moyle hoods all illegal. You can not take any of them hoods and put it on a OEM Sled and drive away. So yes that rule does need to be fixed, Second i agree on the Supension Rails, we need to fix that also.

But as i said before, this is a ISR Core Class, USSA or ORA can not just change the rules, it must go through the ISR Spring Oval Meeting and be voted on by all the Affiliates. But USSA/ ORA/ MIRA/ ASC/ BJ/ EPT/ PRO & I-500 must have a plan for the meeting on what their drivers wish for.

Just be carful on what you wish for.....Some times it bits back and we loose a Great Class! Think what is best for the SPORT, Not what is your Shed or Trailer!

watcher
watcher

Next

Return to Ovals & Enduros