Subscribe Today

Limited 500

Limited 500

Postby that 31 car » February 13th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Ok, here's why you don't want Wahl Skids, 106 tracks, laid down long center to center chaincases. Class gets going good with converted old sprinters and Champs, guy with lots of cash comes along and says hey David or Mike, build me a Limited,and get me about 5 -106 tracks right away too, ok? About $22,000 later this guy has the top shelf unit and all you guys are driving reclaimed units, Season later, he's beating you all, and most of you go home. Same deal with Sprint, and Junior I and Junior II Sprint, started out with garage builds and ended up with full blown hot rods with Stock 380's in'em'.
See where this is going?
Korinek
that 31 car

Limited 500

Postby mdmill2x » February 13th, 2013, 2:06 pm

Jerry,

No one has suggested the use of 106" tracks. The old champ I bought will cost me time and money to change the old style 116" Wahl rails to the Polaris Cutlas rails. The T&N chassis I have will be worthless after my daughter gets to old for Jr 1 Sprint. It can't be converted to Ltd 500 due to the billet chain case. It is a four bar sled. No matter the class one can always spend big money to out do the others. I think it is healthy for the people in the class or considering the class to discuss potential changes that would get more sleds in the class. I am interested in your opinion on what I have said since I respect your knowledge.

Marti Miller
mdmill2x

Limited 500

Postby mdmill2x » February 13th, 2013, 2:08 pm

Since I have asked you for your opinion, my understanding is a Wahl Skid is legal as long as it does not use Wahl rails. Do I understand this correctly?

Marti
mdmill2x

Limited 500

Postby proton » February 13th, 2013, 2:09 pm

well said Jerry... I think we have 10-12 limited sleds over here in MIRA...they range from old rugland champ sleds to old F-111 chassis and stockers(which do very well). I haven't heard any one having a tough time finding these old sleds, we have new guys building sleds to race this weekend. it will be interesting to see how many we have.

the best thing I have noticed about this class is how close the racing is and the low cost. Im afraid if you change the chaincase and rail/track rule the cost will escalate just like J.K. said...great class / the fans love it.
proton

Limited 500

Postby Petawawarace » February 13th, 2013, 2:17 pm

Just curious, but what is the pipe rule for the limiteds?
DeJongMotorsports.com
Petawawarace

Limited 500

Postby mdmill2x » February 13th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Stock pipe for the engine is how I read the rules.
mdmill2x

Limited 500

Postby 871exciter » February 13th, 2013, 2:19 pm

Sorry jerry I will have to disagree with you 106 tracks and long chain case are not any performance gains what so ever maybe a little light weight on the track but you have to look at the big picture of where does all the old champ chassis go into what class since they cannot be competitive in pro champ so why not give them a chance competition is the name of the game and there is a lot of these old champ sleds on the Mira circuit that would be great candidates for limited500&600 this class is huge in Mira and it is still growing..champ class is getting smaller since parts are getting scarce and the only way to be competitive is to be a millionaire.. so where am I going with this is to open up some rules and let some of the new style sleds compete and open the door for some drivers to compete and keep the sport going..sorry for the rant but this gets under my skin and it is time for new rules..
871exciter

Limited 500

Postby Greg Bihner » February 13th, 2013, 3:31 pm

Thanks for the plug on the sprint chassis Alan and yes it is still for sale.
Some great ideas for this class. I would be all in if we could run a stock motor in our champ chassis as is. I guess the question is are we using this class as a stepping stone to champ or is it just made as another class to race in with a purpose built chassis. I still think our classes are set up very well for advancement. You could start out in junior 1 sprint and use the same chassis in junior 2, Limited and champ. I do understand you may scare away a few that don't think they can compete with a 106" track. But lets face it guys there was only 3 sleds competing in this class this year. Thats not huge numbers. So if we could make this class easier to get into why not. Another question is. Do we think a guy with a ton of dough is going to spend it on a limited 500 sled to beat 3 other sleds. Maybe yes but probably no. I think most guys going into this class are looking to go faster and handle better than an f-500 and have a good size field to race against. Just my thoughts. Thanks Greg
Greg Bihner

Limited 500

Postby watcher » February 13th, 2013, 3:42 pm

I still like the OEM Chaincase rule and 15x116 or 15x121 track, would not ask to change that rule! But Rail i think we could open up??? we know that you can put a 116 track in a Wahl sled.

watcher
watcher

Limited 500

Postby that 31 car » February 13th, 2013, 4:24 pm

Here is the background on the 106 part of the deal. It is a little lighter, it has less rolling resistance by design, it has softer durometer material. The outside lugs wear off at a accelerated rate. Ask any Champ guy how often they need to change to stay legal. When the outside wipers wear off, the studding becomes illegal, your choice is replace the track or shorten the outside studs. We have already made exceptions for Champ guys to get a little more time out of them, but when the grouser is exposed or the track lug wears beyond a certain limit, the track is junk. So the idea of buying used Champ stuff is out the window. Secondly back to my original argument, one guy with cash and all new stuff and the rest of the guys can race for second. The idea with limited is a budget deal, if you start hanging two or three tracks under them in a year, that ain't cheap. The initial idea was reasonable money. As to the rail, as the book says the suspension must use a production based slide rail. At one time Wahls were production based, but they are no longer, actually for the last few years. Ask Watcher about that, he did the research on it.
The aftermarket chaincase ban was an additional step to limit the 106's as with a production case, even on 12 inch centers you can't get the location correct for a 106. Now I know somebody is going to say I'm all screwed up on this deal, but try it and you will see what I am referring to. Jeff Brown made one of the best set ups out there and used production parts, he just took the time to do the research and find the right production components to build his stuff.
As to the pipe, It's in the book in detail, but in a nutshell: OEM chamber, OEM wye, aftermuffler can be removed, Stinger may be modified, must be functionally silenced.
Pretty well covered in the ISR book.
that 31 car

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros