Subscribe Today

2015 ISR rules already being dictated by the OEM'S?

Postby fast dad » March 15th, 2013, 12:26 pm

Let me clairify my post for people. I do feel we need the ISR, it has a purpose. What is needed in all snowmobile racing is a LEADER that makes the calls for the rules, not the manufactures. if you look at every SUCESSFUL sport including racing, NASCAR, F1, Motocross, NFL, MLB, ext. What do that all have in common, one guy who makes the calls on what is going to happen for rules. Snowmobiling does not have THAT GUY, we have the manufactors calling the shots for rules. Now they can be involved and have input, just like the racers (who put together a small select committee) to discuss what is best for the racing! I think that the outlaw 600 in irrelavent with this discussion, die to the fact it is new and the manufactors have zero interest. Your right many of the motor builder do not sponsor or give back, but when the racer has to dig into his pocket, because there are no aftermarket motor builders/parts suppliers racing will go away. The manufactors can only help so many, and those few will destroy the field. (look at this year in son-cross) I will reiterate Champ Racing is by far the closest in competion with very little help if any from manufactors. did anyone watch ER final??4 sleds within 1 second after 30 laps. all different motor builders, sled builders, pipe builders. We all need to work together and have the manufactors and racers elect a SINGLE person who can talk to both sides and make the rules that is fair for both. Until then racing will keep diminishing as it is today. Now this is just my opinion, and I am sure it will piss some people off, but I have seen in depth many forms of racing, more than anyone here, and this is what I see works.

TJ
[b]fast dad[/b]
fast dad

Postby that 31 car » March 15th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Between three posts you really have the crux of the problem. Claude is right, if you let racers set the rules, nothing survives.

TJ is right, if you let the manufacturers set all the rules, (like Formula III) it dies a premature death. If you don't think the manufacturers didn't kill F-III, just ask me to get on the soap box. I lived through that one, and bore the wrath of the old Arctic Cat top man, (Executive-not racer)for a long time. We are social friends now but it took years.

The problem is you need a blend of each, and that's the real deal. TJ was 100% on the idea that leadership is needed, however that leadership can't come from one sanctioning body, or manufacturer. It must come form a middle ground. Hopefully that person can be found.
that 31 car

Postby Spy-Guy 74 » March 15th, 2013, 4:10 pm

I think when Jerry says TJ is correct and leadership should come from the middle ground is truly the real answer. That could make things better and perhaps even bring ovals to a higher level. Even if you find the correct person, it won't be a easy fix.

Jerry when you say a blend of each, and what I'm about to say is not possible but if it was I think it could be the answer. A blend of a fellow that has a little Terry Kumrow, Larry Rugland, and a Brett Nordine in him could get the job done.
Spy-Guy 74

Postby proton » March 15th, 2013, 4:11 pm

Tom lipar....he's the guy that could do it.
proton

Postby fast dad » March 15th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Maybe a Todd Auctenburg type who has dealt with both sides and is respected by both sides. There are a fews, but only a few capable. It would have to be selected and approved by both manufactures and race organizations/racers. BOTH need to accept any and all decisions by the so called commissioner. Payment would come from a raised membership and a flat rate from each manufacture. OH and a Pope mobile for travel

My thoughts.

TJ
[b]fast dad[/b]
fast dad

Postby ice_racer_69 » March 16th, 2013, 2:53 am

So will this commissioner be appointed? Voted in? How long will he serve? Who gets to vote him in? How does a group become eligible to vote? I like the idea, Todd A would be a great fit, being he is done at the derby track, but would he want the job? Will it be for oval racing only? There is very well set up non profit group already in place that could be used as an umbrella type structure ORA? Just throwing out ideas again, lets hear some better ones!
ice_racer_69

Postby prochamp » March 16th, 2013, 3:20 am

These ideas are great and coming from people who care and have been there. Positive suggestions from all. Thank you! Would the current ISR board consider being involved with a restructure like this for Oval Racing? Should Each Racing division ( snowcross,ovals,drags,asphalt,hillcross,watercross ect, ) have there own leadership. We are talking just ovals, but can it be done with just one leader for all of our divisions?
prochamp

Postby Fontaine Racing » March 16th, 2013, 12:55 pm

cannot disagree with needing that person who runs the entire show (A France family so to speek)some one who is dedicated to the sport, and making a SHOW, equaling a viable product. to be promoted by the same person.
the same person to make rules to create better closer racing so they could have a better SHOW to sell. instead of a bunch of racers and maybe mfg.s lobying for what is best for themselves.
lets get Mikey!
Fontaine Racing

Postby fast dad » March 17th, 2013, 2:39 am

It would be a tough hard decision but a needed on. You would need 2-3 people that are trusted and nominated by both the manufacture and the affiliates. I would think this would be a person who has raced and run a company/management in the industry. They all would be interviewed with there thoughts about the direction of the sport by BOTH parties. This person would be the commissioner of ALL snowmobile racing. It is all relevant and has the same players involved.

Payment/salary would come from added membership dues, and a matching amount from the manufactures. This would be a full time job, 50 hours a week and lots of travel, so compensation would need to be enough to make a person leave a job in the industry. The only way this can and will work is if the commissioner has full control. Just like the France family, Bernie Eclestone, ext. They all have meetings separate from each other to hear all input. Other ideas and planning also. The commissioner would have say in the race directors for each organization.

This is how successful racing organizations work. If you want to see how they fail, look at the IRL. I know I was involved and seen how it lacks leadership and Manufacture politics wreck racing. Just like any business it starts from the top leadership.

TJ
[b]fast dad[/b]
fast dad

Postby watcher » March 17th, 2013, 3:45 am

Now i will get so heat over this.....one say "Pope" to set the rules and enforce them? He/ She will have to quite their job, have to travel, set schedules so he can be Mn this weekend and NY next weekend, get paid from Drivers,Promoters, Afflications, Manufactory and After Markets folks. The "Pope" is not going to have any personal interest in any thing. He going to tell the Big 4 (for now) how they can build a sled to race? He going to tell USSA, PRO, EPT, BJ, ER, ORA, PVR and any other group this is the rule, and USSA, Pro, EPT, BJ, ER, ORA IS GOING TO SAY YES WITHOUT A VOTE ON IT?

How many weekends are their for racing OVAL, How much money is going to cost? How many Groups are going to go on their own? How many RACE Teams will buy into this? Look at ISOC what are we hearing from them.....we need to get the cost down....how many teams can go from the West to East every weekend. NASCAR, FI IRL or INDY is great, but ask Mr H or Cat in the Hat or Smoke how much does this cost, How many Teams are in the top 5 every weekend and the rest are fillers (not Drivers).

now one more thing....Staff for this Pope, Office, Computers, Who is going to go to the Big P or any other place and find out what changes they made on line...Still want ISR to do all their Work, Specs, Tech Schools, Insurance Problems, Court issues, Protest Problems or is the "Pope" going to do it all?

Guys i gave up wathing INDY/IRL becasue of all the bull.... F1 was no fun to watch when every weekend Tony S won.... NASCAR IS GREAT, But look at everything behind the sceen.... Don't say anything wrong....get fined $25,000 or get park for a race or Two.

.......BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR..........

watcher
watcher

PreviousNext

Return to Ovals & Enduros