Subscribe Today

float fuel gauges don't seem to accurate

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » March 17th, 2002, 2:26 am

hey on my '92ac jag440 the fuel gauge seems kinda weird...... I was riding and it got to just under 1/8th of a tank....i ride a bit and it get to the second notch above empty....so i come home. i get home and pull off the cap and when i put it back on the gauge is right on empty...i ride around my yard to put the sled away and its back up to just under 1/8tank....

also 7.2us gall (27.3L) just doesn't seem like enough....ive gone on 5 or 6 1hr long play rides on and off the throttle alot and i'm already near the bottom of the tank...anything i can do about this? don't think an aux tank would work.

also the needle seemds to drop quickly between 3/4-1/2 of a tank

any imput apprecciated
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y87/KDX250/SDbrbr.jpg[/IMG]
[b][i][blue]DAYS GET SHORTER, SNOW GETS DEEPER, LIFE GETS BETTER[/blue][/i][/b]
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby snogoer7c » March 17th, 2002, 2:43 am

there not the most accurate things fo sho, but a reason for that is the gas is always bumpin and sloshing around, just let the gas settle and the gague should be pretty accurite. make sure the sled is levil, also so that it isint going to be way off because its on a tilt

*This Message was edited on 17-Mar-02 07:44 AM by snogoer7c*
when hell freezes over, i'll snowmobile there too.
snogoer7c

Postby Snotcicles » March 17th, 2002, 10:48 am

At least your riding! LOL... All they are is a corkscrew with a pointer on top. The float spins the corkscrew and moves the pointer to a spot on gauge. Not the most accurate, but it is a reference. Next time you add gas just slide the float up and down the screw to see if there might be some binding that might make it stick. If your odometer still works, that is the best way to know if its time to refuel. Once you establish a baseline, you will know that x amount of miles is gas and oil time.
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Snotcicles

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » March 17th, 2002, 12:06 pm

kinda ironinc that you mention it, because the odo/speedo don't work. I can hear the cable thing rattling behind the guage and i can see the needle vibrating, but it wont move...I know it'd be easy to take od the base speedo connector but i don't want to, cuz i don't want to screw it up and need to replace a bearing too or start another project, I've got enough to do with these other machines I'm working on.........
oh well maybe i should justg do it

unfortunately, the snow on the roads is dissapearing, which means I can't go on little jaunts from my house, i have to wait till the weekend to go to camp, also d**n plows keep making piles so know i have to climb a 6 foot hill thing and then avoid the rock on the other side to get to my riding area.....alll i kneed is like 5 cm of snow!
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby zr800newyork » March 17th, 2002, 2:39 pm

Fill your tank, reset the trip odometer and fill up every so many miles- easy solution for all those floating so called gauges..
TUG HILL CRUISIN'
Sno-Goer Magazine-Nov'03 issue
zr800newyork

Postby ArcticEd » March 17th, 2002, 7:10 pm

Another thing that makes them inaccurate is the irregular shape of most fuel tanks.........Mine reads well below 1/4 when there's still almost a half tank there......
[img][url=http://s2.photobucket.com/user/ArcticEd/media/Bunny.jpg.html]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/ArcticEd/Bunny.jpg[/img]

Harley Davidson: The most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without the embarrassing by-product of horsepower.

F/O FUR
ArcticEd

Postby treewhacker » March 18th, 2002, 9:55 am

No doubt, the screw and cork guages suck big time. There's really nothing you can do unless you want to build your own guage. I suggest just paying attention to where the guage correlates with actual fuel amount. Mine broke two years and I just got to where I have a pretty good idea how much I have left. You can get a good idea also by how much it takes to refill and what the guage reads. Many times I've put 11 1/2 gallons in my 12 gallon tank. Ran out once and that was when the guage worked...... Good luck****Willie
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1278/a1ugly.jpg[/img]
treewhacker

Postby 02 pro x 440 » March 18th, 2002, 11:00 am

just keep gas in the sled and dont worry about it, who needs a fuel gauge
02 pro x 440

Postby KneeDeepInSnow » March 18th, 2002, 1:50 pm

hey i went from an almost empty tank to almost full with 2 1/2 us gallons, in a 7.2 gollon tank...figure that one out..... maybe i have the wrong gauge?
it weird but it appears the whn it's low i still got 3/4 of a tank
KneeDeepInSnow

Postby ChrisXCR » March 19th, 2002, 1:46 am

Thats why I like the clear tanks from the race sleds. No need for a gauge that doesn't read correctly, just look at the side of the tank, when you have less than 2 inches start looking for fuel. :)
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum