Subscribe Today

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Postby saskrider » April 3rd, 2002, 11:06 am

Three of us were out riding on the lake last weekend. We were going about 80mph when I saw an ice heave coming up. I slowed down but my buddies didn't see it. They were going fast enough that they cleared the open water on the other side of it. I wasn't so lucky. I was going about 20mph, went over the heave and into the lake. My buddy had a rope and was able to pull me out. I rode his sled back to the truck with half a suit, no boots and one sock. My sled is still there. The moral of the story is don't ride alone if you don't have to and always carry a rope.
saskrider

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Postby ZRT800 » April 3rd, 2002, 3:08 pm

Good to hear you're ok! Doesn't sound like you got physically hurt - just your ego!! You got lucky, & so did your buddies!!!

I hit a pressure crack back in Feb. Launched the sled & it landed on it's tail. $2000- cdn damage. I got lucky (injury wise) & I learned my lesson!

So, you sunk your sled. Can you get it out? As long as you shut your sled off before it sank, it'll be fine. Just pull it up as soon as possible! Once you get it up pull out plugs (PROVIDED IT'S NOT EFI), tip on it's right side, & pull it over until the water stops spewing from the plug holes. IF IT'S EFI DO NOT PULL THE CORD UNTIL THE COMPUTER IS 100% DRY (you'll fry it)!!!! Next, drain everything!!!! If it's EFI, don't pull the cord until the computer is 100% dry. If it's wet, you'll fry it! Other than that, clean out the seaweed & loon sh*t, drain the carbs, fuel pump, lines, tank, oil container, pipe, canister, chaincase (take apart & clean then refill). Re-fill oil tank, put mixed gas in the gas tank, you may need new plugs, pull the cord & she should fire up! If it went down running - well you may be f*cked! Engines don't like hydraulic lock ups! Your guages will probably be shot in a year or so. Other than that, you should be fine. Get it running & run lots of oil through it. Another thing to remember is the magneto, if water sits in there it will rust or corrode the coils. Get it running & burn off any moisture. If it's down there for awhile, take off the mag cover & dry out the mag & coils.

Where I ride, running water is part of every ride, eventually you'll sink. Sleds go down all the time. some are easier to get running than others, but what I've described is the full out approach to reviving your sled. Your seat will be a b*tch to dry, can't help you there. Once everything is running well, give it a WD-40 bath & a good grease job!

Best of luck!!
Who said Cats can't swim?!?
ZRT800

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Postby Xtreme XC » April 5th, 2002, 7:52 am

When in doubt, GAS IT!
[IMG]http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l231/buddypaw/smallpic.jpg[/IMG]
Xtreme XC

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Postby snogoer7c » April 5th, 2002, 11:16 am

hey, at least the fish have somethin new to live in. =)
when hell freezes over, i'll snowmobile there too.
snogoer7c

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Postby saskrider » April 5th, 2002, 12:31 pm

Thanks guys, I did gas it, but didn't make it. My sled is still there, insurance doesn't seem to be in any hurray to get it out. What do you guys think I should insist that they fix before I settle the claim? It's an 02 600 Edge X. Oh yeah, It was running when it went down.

*This Message was edited on 05-Apr-02 05:33 PM by saskrider*
saskrider

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Postby CATPPL » April 5th, 2002, 12:49 pm

You should try going to your local dive store (scuba), and see if they can hook you up with a local diver that is willing to help you out!
If you were living in Ontario i would be more then happy to help you :(
I am also wondering how deep the lake is that it went down in? If not that deep i would see no problem going in now. It would be easier with the ice then with out it. Geez i make pretty good money at the local water skips $100.00 a pop and your back in action :)
All the good ones are gone!!
CATPPL

BE CAREFUL!!!!!!!!!

Postby ZRT800 » April 5th, 2002, 2:16 pm

In Ontario the insurance company is legally entitled to jerk you around for 1 year & you have the same time to jerk them! Most people don't know that & most people don't know that they can fight for a higher settlement. Atleast 90% settle on the first offer, & they will low ball you! An '02 sled that went down running, I wouldn't settle for anything less than you want. BUT you'll have to fight for it!!!!! When I crashed mine, they jerked me for 3.5 weeks. I paid for full coverage & I paid upfront in Oct. I finally got a good settlement, but will not deal with the *ssholes next year! Fight for it!

*This Message was edited on 05-Apr-02 07:18 PM by ZRT800*
Who said Cats can't swim?!?
ZRT800

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum