Subscribe Today

SMOKE

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

SMOKE

Postby INDY500XCSP » April 8th, 2002, 7:21 am

Was working on putting the sleds away on Sat. and i had put stablizer/isoproyl in the fuel and was letting it run for a sec on the stand. seemed good. dropped it to take it across the grass,bogging hard core, no power no nothing,made little funny noise like it wasnt firing,or only on one cylinder?? stopped it, popped the hood took off the right plug,,split light black/brown dry,took off the left side..black,it was moist but not wet like a real fouled plug. But what i was a little more intrigued by is when i took the left one off smoke started to come up and out of the whole. not a lot, but enough to catch the eye..blew out smoke for like a min or so off and on. i switched the plugs(LEFT-->RIGHT....RIGHT-->LEFT) started it up seemed to run alright,ran across the lawn once. popped them off again(no smoke), both dry and the tips (like the little prong thing and the electrode area were a tan like color) thats what i figure they should be. So what im loooking for here is what the smoke was coming from? should i have the carbs or soemthing looked at,cause they both should have read the same to start with. Any ideas?? sorry bout the length just wanted to make sure i covered everything. -INDY

*This Message was edited on 08-Apr-02 12:30 PM by INDY500XCSP*
-------------
'99 Polaris INDY500XCSP bunch of red stuff<- For sale
03 Pro-XR w/600, SLP Can, C&A Trail skis, 96 Megabites,Powermadd/Rox handguards, AMSOIL,V-Force 3, PERC
INDY500XCSP

SMOKE

Postby all out racing » April 8th, 2002, 12:09 pm

Its just from the leftover exhaust in the muffler/canister.
------------------------
i'm pretty sure yamaha could sell cow $hit for food to the same guys that bought all the rx1 hype...
all out racing

SMOKE

Postby treewhacker » April 8th, 2002, 11:40 pm

Normal for two strokes to smoke, poor fuel regulation is the two strokes biggest problem. Mixing oil with the fuel makes it a bigger problem. As far as the smoking on one side, who knows. One plug may have fouled temporarily and that would cause buildup in that cylinder while it wasn't firing.......Two stroke sucks!
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1278/a1ugly.jpg[/img]
treewhacker

SMOKE

Postby snogoer7c » April 9th, 2002, 9:38 am

2 strokes only suck kuz you got a rx-1... >=o noo, im not jelous
when hell freezes over, i'll snowmobile there too.
snogoer7c

SMOKE

Postby treewhacker » April 10th, 2002, 12:57 am

Snogoer,
Didn't mean to offend you or put down two strokes. I should just say I prefer 4 stroke. I have had a lot of trouble with 2 stroke as far as dependability plus I don't like the smoke and noise. I lived with it for a long time but I"m not going to miss the two stroke. I will keep my 800 hillclimber for a backcountry sled and because I built it, actually I can't complain about the Suzuki 800 twin, it has been more dependable than most....
[img]http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/1278/a1ugly.jpg[/img]
treewhacker

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum