Subscribe Today

Open Face Helmets ?!?!?!?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby skidoorider » August 15th, 2002, 11:25 am

My son wants to use an open face helmet this season. I question his thinking on this issue. Those of you that use them,please give me your opinions,and please be frank ! Thanks RB
2007 Jayco 29BHS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
skidoorider

Postby xcsp » August 15th, 2002, 12:55 pm

Personally, I don't use one and wouldn't recommend
it. I prefer the true full face, not the "new" flip-up full-face helmets(which would be a better choice than an open-face). But everyone has an opinion. Why does he prefer the open style?
xcsp

Postby Bump-Star » August 15th, 2002, 2:00 pm

I use both the open(mx) style and the ski-doo modular flip. They both have pros and cons...the mx is lighter, u can switch goggles day and night..better field of vision.
flip...warmer, quieter, heavier.

Generally I wear the mx unless it extreme cold(canada).
Bump-Star

Postby bad-ass-zx800 » August 15th, 2002, 2:04 pm

Switched to a Open face helmet 2 years ago and will never go back to a full face helmet. I wear a Skidoo helmet with Oakley goggles. Not once in 2years have they fogged up and this is the truth. I wear a balaclava face mask and have yet to get cold wearing the helmet with the face mask. Half the time i dont even wear the face mash cause i get to hot. I recommend a open face helmet. HJC makes a great helmet and Oakley goggles are awesome.
[b]05 Black REV X 800
144 Woodys Signature Series Studs - 1.175"
C@A Razor Skis
Stud Boy Shaper Bars 6"
J@T Ceramic Coated silencer.[/b]
bad-ass-zx800

Postby Low Blue » August 15th, 2002, 10:48 pm

True If he's going to wear a MX helmet get Oakleys. We've tried every kind and their the only ones that never fog up in any temp. I even wear glasses and have no problems.
Low Blue

Postby skidoorider » August 17th, 2002, 5:42 am

My son wants to use an MX style helmet because they look "cool". I personally think they look COLD. RB
2007 Jayco 29BHS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
skidoorider

Postby hockeygirl68 » August 17th, 2002, 10:52 am

Women's Open---- I have both styles of helmets this seems to be a big topic on the boards lately. I will never go back to a full faced helmet! I love my open face kevlar got smith goggles and I never have a problem with fogging! I have the quick strapes to pull mine off with out loosing them I know most of the guys here dont but I really really like my set up now Ill never go back!
Lead, Follow, Or get the Hell out of the way!
hockeygirl68

Postby xcsp » August 17th, 2002, 3:09 pm

What protects your face in the event of a crash? I don't see an open face helmet doing the job! But that's my opinion, I'll stick to a full face helmet.
xcsp

Postby ChrisXCR » August 17th, 2002, 4:08 pm

Skidoorider, I like baz wear a motocross helmet. Its an Arai. I will not wear my full face anymore, even when its cold. The important thing is to find goggles that fit the helmet you get him. NO GAPS!!!! Where skin shows will get frost bite. So what to do? Buy a Ski masque at any ski shop, they are a thin neoprene mask that velcro's behind your neck. This covers the nose, cheeks etc but has holes for breathing at the mouth and nose. If you buy a Moto-cross helemet put in all the roost deflectors and tape up the vents in front of the mouth.(the snocross lids from HJC come with more cold air protection) If its really cold, some duct tape around the edges of the goggles to the helmet works. The key is shield as much air as you can.

Now, why do I wear one? They are much lighter, no fogging with dual lens goggles, much bigger field of vision, a visor, they do look cool :) but for me most important is breathing. With the Mx style you breathe fresh air all day where as a full face you breathe back in a lot of what you exhale. By getting fresh air you get less winded and feel much better at the end of the day. I feel like I am suffocating when I wear the full face and ride even sort of aggressively.

Buy a good snell approved helmet! Also, look into getting him, yourself and everyone else in the family who rides a Tek Vest or some other type of chest/back/rib protection. A pair of knee/shin guards and elbo pads are a good idea too! Its a good investment that does save some injuries.

Think about it, you never know when your gonna need the stuff so you might as well wear it all the time!

:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Postby NorthernSkunk » August 17th, 2002, 4:49 pm

I ride 600 miles north of the Minnesota/manitoba(canada) border. HJC with scott goggles work great. Better vision an lighter. Sometimes need duct tape in extreme weather but I have lots of time to fix it while I am waiting for my buddies to catch up.
Na i'm done with you, your to much of an ass for me!

Your on a need to know basis and since you never come out here you don't need to know....
NorthernSkunk

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum