Subscribe Today

BEST STUD PATTERN

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby Black MXZ » October 25th, 2002, 12:25 pm

I will check lug hight tomorrow. It is a stock track though.
Black MXZ

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby Burky » October 26th, 2002, 6:53 am

To answer 01 on his question on the tracks, yes there is a difference. Although they are almost all made by Camo, different manufacturers specify different tracks as OEM on their sleds. Just as all Camo aftermarket tracks aren't all the same material, pattern, compound, and durometer of rubber, there are some differences among the factory supplied tracks. For some reason, the Cat tracks seem to hold up to studding better than the others do. Exactly what changes they make, I don't know and you can still stud the other tracks with no problems.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby donner » October 27th, 2002, 11:18 am

According to the 2000 Ski-doo book, the 700 came with a .88 track. According to the Woody's stud book, the .88 track should use a .92 stud. As for the new ski Ski-doo came out with, I had a 2001 MXZ and put a pair of these ski's on. What a world of difference.
donner

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby '01 MXZ 800 » October 27th, 2002, 11:30 pm

On a stock .88" track the most you should and can go (I've done it) is a 1.25" stud with Woddy's 8 carbides, with a 3/4" minium tunnel protector! It hooks up awesome with the 1.25 studs,just keep them inside the windows and they'll(studs&track) last longer!

*This Message was edited on 28-Oct-02 04:31 AM by '01 MXZ 800*
'01 MXZ 800

BEST STUD PATTERN

Postby bookum » October 29th, 2002, 12:30 pm

keep them in the center. It will keep the sled from getting "too" aggressive corners. Studs in the outside belt of a torquey sled with a relatively high center of gravity will create more inside ski lift. No studs in the outside belts will keep the sled flatter in corners. Picture the sled going thru a corner. All the weight is on the outside of the sled and track. When you get on the throttle the outside belt with studs bites and naturally will try and torque the sled up on its side. You can run faster easier with less effort.
bookum

Previous

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum