Subscribe Today

stock belt or aftermarket????

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby 4th ski-doo » November 13th, 2002, 11:41 pm

Even in the complete book of clutching(or something like that) Olav Aaen and the Culters book say that for the SD you need to use the SD belt because of the "aggressive" 15 degree angle of the sheaves. The aftermarket belts don't last as long. Only belt I ever grenaded was an a-market.
MM7 wrote:
"..you don't realize how bad yamaha's ride or handle until you go ride a Cat, a Doo, or a Polaris Turn the dial all you want..it's junk!!! The nytro's skid is better..but still not even close to a cat skid or a doo skid for that matter."
4th ski-doo

Postby SUPERDUTY-MXZ8 » November 14th, 2002, 12:23 am

When Bombardier can start selling belts for a reasonable price like I can get Dayco belts for(44.95 v.s. 68.47standard-103.47gold for an o.e.m. belt), then I'll start buying them again! Don't believe everything you read 4th Ski-Doo, My 800 ate up the stock belt long before it should have (700 miles), I put another one on and the same thing! I checked the clutch, alignment and everything was fine! I started running Dayco-belts and I got almost 1200 miles out of the first one! I 'm going to be putting a MBRP Torque Rod on to help on the belts and other things as soon as Hunting season is over. To each his own though! I usually factory parts on everything(my truck,wifes car,sled,ect..) I even use Bombardier oil. The way some Companys price gouge certain parts for example Ski-Doo's belts, is just plain B.S. I hope someone who works for Bombardier reads this. Get it together and stop trying to RAPE us with your belt prices!

*This Message was edited on 14-Nov-02 05:25 AM by SUPERDUTY-MXZ8*

*This Message was edited on 18-Nov-02 07:01 AM by SUPERDUTY-MXZ8*
SUPERDUTY-MXZ8

Postby mnsnowboy » November 14th, 2002, 12:44 am

I run both aftermarket and OEM for my sled. If the OEM ones are on sale I will buy them. Otherwise I run a Dayco Ultimax.
Kick ass!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/rocking.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/hellyeahFireIcon.gif[/IMG][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/bobZilla.gif height=90 width=20[/img]
mnsnowboy

Postby indy500 » November 14th, 2002, 3:47 am

polaris belts are almost the same price as a dayco my dealer said, so il prolbey buy the oem
98 indy 500,
indy500

Postby 89Indy500_sp » November 14th, 2002, 6:54 am

my uncle said my sleds belt has 3000+ miles on it! im going to put a new on one it this year just beacuse. i have a sparre that looks newer, and the one thats on there now has the older style polaris symbles and it dose not have the white on it... go figure
My 2003 REV 800 Sport... my baby
[img]http://www.dootalk.net/gallery/albums/album762/snonews.thumb.jpg[/img]
700 miles this season!
89Indy500_sp

Postby deadsled » November 14th, 2002, 7:29 am

I think by this point, a new belt would give you better top end. you might want to replace that sucker, even if it doesn't tear.
I am currently riding a yamaha 4S. Who would have guessed?
deadsled

Postby SnowFever » November 14th, 2002, 2:45 pm

indy500,

why do you think your dealer told you this? Do you always believe the first thing everyone tells you. Your dealer says this so that you buy the expensive one from him. Its your money if you want to waste it. But just remember for every 2 polaris belts you could buy 3 Dayco belts.
Don't worry the trees don't hurt that bad.

Ride DOO!!!

[red]GO BUCKS!!!!![/red]
SnowFever

Postby SnowFever » November 14th, 2002, 2:48 pm

SkiDood,

aftermarket manufactures can require the same specifications to their products as can the OEMs. There is no difference between skidoo's and Dayco's specs, well actually Dayco's specs may be better. Maybe thats why their belts last longer. Hmmmmm.?.

Also, to your car analogy, aftermarket manufacturers do not have the OEMs dies to punch out the body panels that is why they don't fit right. What do you do for a living? I hope if aint nothing to do with manufacturing.

*This Message was edited on 14-Nov-02 07:51 PM by snowfever*
Don't worry the trees don't hurt that bad.

Ride DOO!!!

[red]GO BUCKS!!!!![/red]
SnowFever

Postby indy500 » November 15th, 2002, 2:27 am

you are right but the oem is cheaper, canadian tire had the ultramax for 66 and oem delaer is 55
98 indy 500,
indy500

Postby FreezurBurnt » November 15th, 2002, 8:16 am

You are comparing a top notch aftermarket belt to the OEM cheapy

Now Compare the Ultra Max with the top of the line OEM belt :)
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

PreviousNext

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum