Subscribe Today

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

Postby sledhead » December 17th, 2002, 1:22 pm

I am going on my first ride with my rx1 er this weekend with some buddies.Has anyone put a couple hundred miles or more on their rx1 yet. I was just wondering if there was any problems run into by anyone that I should be aware of. Thanks for any input.
sledhead

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

Postby xcsp » December 17th, 2002, 1:37 pm

Check out www.RX1.info for info on the RX1. From what I've seen there is that you may need to work on dialing in the suspension to your liking. Let us know how you like it!
xcsp

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

Postby hauler » December 17th, 2002, 1:57 pm

I have 600 miles, on mine no problems, might suggest softening rear skid and stiffin front springs a tad, will eliminate ski lift. keep your track tight at begining, it will stretch. Other wise put gas and go.........
[b][blue]YAMAHA RX1[/b]
TURNING THE COMPETITION BLUE[/blue]
hauler

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

Postby Supernova » December 17th, 2002, 5:25 pm

enjoy your ride sledhead and let us know what you think!
[b]Montreal Weather[/b]
[img]http://www.theweathernetwork.com/inter/weathercentre/weatherbutton/images/can/YUL.gif[/img]
Supernova

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

Postby Yamadude » December 19th, 2002, 2:39 pm

Have 480km with no problems. Found lots of ski lift which affected cornering when on the throttle. Haven't made any adjustments yet because I am having studs installed as we speak (a definite must). Had sled up to 118MPH Tuesday night and did some highspeed running for a total of 144km that night using 23.8 litres of fuel which equates to almost 17.5 miles to the gallon (not bad). Sled is getting stronger. Tighten track and adjust drive chain after first 100km (you will notice a difference).
Yamadude

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

Postby Vetteman » December 23rd, 2002, 9:27 am

I have had mine out twice this year and put on about 150kms each day. It has been all trail riding and the last ride I ran the machine pretty hard hitting 175kph at one point. The power is great and it sounds beautiful. My buddy has an 800 Legend and I had no trouble keeping up to him in the trails. My fuel comsumption is about 35% better. No oil used. Had to tighten the track after the first ride. It took five minutes to do. This sled is heavy and requires muscle to make it work. You have to be careful not to brake or get off the gas in the middle of a corner as it will lift the inside ski. It takes some getting used to but after a couple of days the suspension brakes in and it works better. Had 144 studs in the middle of the track installed. Hooks up good but still get some track spin which I like. No problems with the sled at all. Apparently it takes several thousand kms for the engine to fully loosen up and develop its full potential. Update,1900kms and spun a bearing. See post below.

*This Message was edited on 23-Dec-02 02:34 PM by Vetteman*

*This Message was edited on 08-Feb-03 07:02 PM by Vetteman*
Greg greenham
Vetteman

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

Postby fixcnc » December 28th, 2002, 12:15 am

This problem can only be found if front of sled is lifted off the ground(floor jack under sled works well) on some rx-1s the front suspention is very lose which will lead to premature failure of front end components. With the weight off the skis try to move the spindle up and down, also in and out,if you can move it most likely the clearance between the bushings and then a arms is to great...all points MUST be tight or every time you hit a bump the "loseness" will work on itself as if it were a worn part! If you catch this while sled is realitivly new most likely your dealer will replace parts as nec. to repair problem. I have contacted Yamaha customer service and am currently working on this problem now, if any of you rx1 owners have questions feel free to contact me on my email fixcnc@aol.com
fixcnc

RX1 PROBLEMS ??????

Postby Vetteman » February 8th, 2003, 1:57 pm

Update on my RX1. Now have 1900kms on it. It has run perfect until last week. Had done a 300km day. Just made a run down a rail line at about 170kph. We shut down for about five minutes. When I restarted I heard a slight knocking noise which got worse as I rode. Soon it was hammering and I knew it was a rod. It spun a bearing. It is now in at the dealer and the Yamaha rep is coming in to look at it. It will definitely need a crank, bearings and a rod at the very least. As far as I know this is the first engine failure in North America. The dealer has been very good as he has given me his RX1 to ride while they repair mine. Anyone else had a problem with the motor. Would like to hear from you.

*This Message was edited on 08-Feb-03 06:59 PM by Vetteman*
Greg greenham
Vetteman

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum