Subscribe Today

Grand Marais Michigan terrible

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Shelbyboy48317 » January 21st, 2003, 3:45 am

Just got back from Grand Marais Michigan this weekend and let me tell you, if your planning on going don't. Apparently they are having a political battle up there over who is responsible for what trails. That is one rumor, then I heard they fired the groomer from last year who did a wonderful job and can't get anyone to replace him. This after talking to our host who said he put in for the job but was put on the waiting list. Rumor #3 low visiablity, this was a load if it were true because I have seen them groom in worse conditions then what we had. In all my years going to G.M. I have never seen the trails so beat up. Usually when you leave at 9 a.m. the trails are flat and beutiful but not this past weekend. I have heard from area business's that the grooming has been a problem all year. They did not groom Friday night or Saturday night. We cut our trip short and left Sunday afternoon. It was a shame with all that snow and no one is doing anything with it. Pass it on!
Shelbyboy48317

Postby leelanaumotorsports » January 21st, 2003, 5:13 am

See my post "The other guys"
and then get back to me on this. I may be able to explain or help you understand the mentality in G.M.
[b]Ride Hard, Ride Safe.[b]
leelanaumotorsports

Postby snirt » January 21st, 2003, 5:23 am

i was up there this weekend too, i thought the trails were great! GM usually does an excellent job of grooming, but they had alot of traffic this weekend.

shelbyboy, if you would have bought a rev instead of your pro-x, you would have stayed till monday, looking for more bumps! ;)
snirt

Postby SLEDHEADRED » January 21st, 2003, 8:56 am

hey leelan, I cant find no post-'THE OTHER GUYS'. so where is it? bring it to the top!!
JOIN A CLUB
[url=http://WWW.DRIFTSKIPPERS.COM]The Driftskippers[/url]
SLEDHEADRED

Postby Shelbyboy48317 » January 21st, 2003, 9:40 am

Actually snirt, my Pro X is the best machine I've ever owned. That trip was the perfect test for my sled and it passed with flying colors. I could not be happier!!!!!!!! I don't know where you were riding but it wasn't G.M.
Shelbyboy48317

Postby 19VMAX96 » January 21st, 2003, 10:31 am

Came back from "GM" this weekend and the riding was wonderful for the traffic. If you think about the restuarants and bars had more people in them then they could hold. #2 the Grand Marais 500 was wed-fri so the trails took a hitting with that. #3 there was very little snow from thrusday thru sunday for them to do anything with. But Man was the snow coming down Monday! #4 Visibility was horrible sunday night through monday morning. A multi car pile up on M-28 will prove this. Also night riding was bad with snow blowing, I could only see 12 inches in front of my shield and I was leading the pack.

GUYS I'M STILL LOOKING FOR A 1996 YAMAHA V MAX XT HOOD OR EVEN A 1996(style) YAMAHA V MAX WITH REAR/ TUNNEL/ OR SIDE DAMAGE!
[blue] WANTED: 1996 Yamaha V Max 600 XT Hood [/blue]
19VMAX96

Postby fastfast1 » January 21st, 2003, 1:19 pm

I thought the trails around Grand Marias on Saturday were the best trails I rode all weekend. I spoke with the groomer in the gas station/C-store in GM and he was a really good guy. Very informative on the trails and trail conditions. I have rode up there many years and I have never seen so many sleds this past weekend. It is truly mind boggling the number. The trail conditions down by Singleton/Wetmore were miserable, however, I am positive that no matter how many groomers you have, the traffic is just too heavy. THINK SNOW!!!!!
fastfast1

Postby snirt » January 21st, 2003, 11:47 pm

shelby, i was staying in newberry, rode to sault ste marie saturday, and grand marias sunday. i'll send you recipts if you need more proof of where i was. i'm glad you like your pro-x, it's a nice sled. i just remember you taking some shots at my rev earlier this year, and i was just pointing out that if you had a rev, maybe you could have rode sunday and had a blast like i did. :)
snirt

Postby Shelbyboy48317 » January 22nd, 2003, 12:56 am

No I know the shots were all in fun, but I guess we had such poor trail conditions compared to even last year which was alot of the same issues with snow that we were very dissappointed. I'm glad to hear you and the rest of the people had good rides we just had higher expectations for the area. I have talked to a few people via email from grand marais and they said they were grooming. I guess the area business's just felt like lying to us about what was going on. Mcmillian said this has been a problem all year. So who knows? Again good for everyone who had a better ride than us. I acually enjoyed myself riding my new sled because it handles so well in the ruff stuff.
Shelbyboy48317

Postby snirt » January 22nd, 2003, 1:00 am

nothing wrong with a little good-natured ribbing.

no hard feelings, shelby.
snirt

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum