Subscribe Today

cdi testing

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

cdi testing

Postby anne45 » February 1st, 2003, 4:48 am

im looking for someone that has information about the cdi testing system as i am part of a small snowmobile repair shop that has a 96 Formula 3. we think that it could be the cdi but have no way of testing it

*This Message was edited on 01-Feb-03 10:00 AM by anne45*
anne45

cdi testing

Postby Maniac » February 1st, 2003, 7:49 am

What's the problem?
I'm pretty sure CDI's either work, or they don't.
Let me know whats up
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

cdi testing

Postby anne45 » February 2nd, 2003, 4:33 am

well i dont know my grandpa told me to see if i could find anything on the nippondenso cdi trigger coil system testing so i thought u guys might be able to help us out. hes kinda of computer retard so he gets us kids to look up stuff for him
anne45

cdi testing

Postby Cat Addict » February 2nd, 2003, 5:27 am

I don't know anything that will help, just wanted to say we were told the same thing, either it works or it doesn't. Apparently that's not always true though because we have a vintage sled that had a bad cdi box- if you beat on it with a hammer, it would work again, that's how we knew to replace it. They are not cheep to replace either.....
[img]http://userweb.suscom.net/~cataddict/CatWoman.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/images/smilies/kick.gif[/img][b][i][green]Green Rules!![/b][/i][/green]
Cat Addict

cdi testing

Postby Maniac » February 2nd, 2003, 9:21 am

You can test the Trigger coil and the stator for ohm resistance. I don't know the readings offhand though. I'll get back with those.
But tell us the problem and some of us may be able to help.
Thanks.
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

cdi testing

Postby bobholder » February 2nd, 2003, 10:41 pm

I have a 97 polaris indy ultra that had no spark. I was told by 3 different shops the CDI can't be tested. All you can do is process of elimination. Check stator, secondary coils, wires, caps, etc. All 3 plugs quit in mine so I knew it was something that would cause all or nothing. CDI was $320 so before I bought one I was going to make darn sure that was the problem. I traced the wires from the stator to the CDI and founf the harnes had rubbed through and 6 wires had warn bare and were shorting out. I re-insulated the wires with hot glue and electrical tape and the sled started on the first pull and runs like a rocket. Any shop would have replaced the CDI box and charged be a bunch. I'd suggest checking all wiring for a break or a short. Good luck.
bobholder

cdi testing

Postby Pantera » February 3rd, 2003, 4:42 am

CDI boxes are capable of intermittent problems similar to coils which make them very hard to diagnose. For some machines there are CDI testers that the Dealers have, I won't say that is the case for all. If you don't want to drop a bunch of money at a dealer check your wiring very carefully as already indicated. If you have the Service Manual for the machine it should give you the Spec's to measure with an ohmmeter on the trigger/primary coils. If those check out ok, then you can go to the External Ignition coils and spark plug ends. Use the ohmmeter on that as well, and make sure to check the spark plug end-caps separately. They have a 5K ohm resistance and can burn out. External Coils can give readings within the tolerance levels but still be bad. My wife makes a tester that is capable of firing those coils to truely see if good or bad. Her clients are mostly repair shops and some manufacturers that use them on the production line for Quality Control. If possible find a buddy with a machine that has either the same external ignition coil and/or CDI Box and swap to see the results on BOTH machines. Sometimes you will be surprised and find a wiring problem in the process. Consult your aftermarket parts catalog for machines that are equipped with the same parts. I have a lot of the Arctic Cat specs but if I remember from your first post you said SkiDoo. Her company is Graham-Lee Electronics and the number is 800-343-1344 and the web site is www.graham-leeelect.com if you have a shop that would be interested in purchasing a tester for these kinds of situations.
Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum