Subscribe Today

97 Skidoo 3Cyl Engine Failure

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby FIII600 » March 10th, 2003, 12:02 pm

I recenty had a catastophic engine failure on my 1997 Formula III 600. I have not taken it apart, but the dealer suspects a siezed crank bearing. "Most likely because I did ot fog my engine last spring." I have never fogged any motor ever. I am having a hard time buying this theory. From new I had heard something about an improperly drilled crankshaft, my local dealer has not been much help on this subject. I am concerned about fixing this properly, as I do not wish to go through this again. Due to the expense that will be involved, I will be driving this sled for another couple of years now. Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks.
FIII600

Postby FreezurBurnt » March 10th, 2003, 2:42 pm

Fogging is EXTREMLY important

My Indy 500 was not fogged and it seize in the 1st hr of the next season,$800 dollars later

Found bit of rust on bearings

Since then I always fog my engines
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

Postby ak_skidoo » March 10th, 2003, 3:56 pm

I have never fogged a engine before, no problems here. IM sure its not a crank thats not drilled correct, however it might need two more holes in the cases to feed the backside of the two outer crank bearings. What bearing or bearings wore out?
The engine was getting oil?
ak_skidoo

Postby mnsnowboy » March 11th, 2003, 12:52 am

If you search the archive of old posts, you will find the one that talks about the problem with triple triples 6 7 800's 96-98. I have a 96 III and haven't had any problems yet, and I guess I am not too worried about it until it blows up! LOL! Then it will be time for the junk heap.

-sb
Kick ass!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/rocking.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/hellyeahFireIcon.gif[/IMG][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/bobZilla.gif height=90 width=20[/img]
mnsnowboy

Postby 97Mach1 » March 11th, 2003, 2:53 am

The problem with the oil hole was specifically in the 1997 700 triple (Mach 1 motor). Some people with 1998's have also said theirs have the problem too. I currently have a 1999 700 triple in my sled (my old motor overheated -- no coolant), and have 1500 miles on it since installing it a couple years ago. I haven't heard of any problems with the 600's. I have a couple friends with over 10,000 miles on theirs, without a single hiccup.

Rust or a dry bearing is something that can easily happen to a motor that's been in storage for a while. That's why I always fog mine before storage, and then I fog it again just after taking it out of storage. Better safe than sorry.

If it were me, I would pull the motor apart and see exactly what caused the failure.

Good Luck...

Jim
[i]08 MXZ Renegade XP 800R[/i]
[b]There's Nothing Like It![/b]
97Mach1

Postby Tantrum » March 11th, 2003, 4:09 am

Hmmm. I dont know about that.
What kind of hours does the machine have on it total? How many hours this year?
If you got a rusted bearing its not going to last you very long at all. If you put any hours on it this year it would have crapped real fast IMO.
Tantrum

Postby Maniac » March 11th, 2003, 5:18 am

ALL pre '98 Ski-Doo Triples suffer from a dry-run condition in the PTO side crank bearing due to an incomplete drilling of an oil hole to feed this bearing the oil it needs. After '98 I believe the bearings were packed with grease and were the sealed type. My F-III threw the crank a year ago, I had a new one put in and had the oil hole drilled. It now has around 4500km on it and it has been working fine until recently, but it is not the crank that has gone bad.
Cross your fingers when you pull that puppy apart. Cranks are not cheap.
Good luck!
Let 'er RIP!!
Maniac

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum