Subscribe Today

Cat making a mistake with the Sabercat?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby ZiRT » March 11th, 2003, 12:30 pm

My wife was thinking of a new ride to replace her '01 ZL600EFIesr. The Sabercat was immediately described as "UHHGLYY!!".
Seems Cat is going too far in marketing everything as a Sno-X racer and forgetting that many people want a subtle, nice looking comfortable one-up cruiser. 13 different Firecats and only 2 Sabercat solo trail sleds?!?! Even the 4Stroke has the aggressive new headlights and a Firecat look to it. C'mon Cat.
I love my '02ZR8CC, but not everybody wants to bang ditches, or have a sled that looks like it does.
[red]http://www.nyssnowassoc.org[/red]
ZiRT

Postby NHSledATVrider » March 11th, 2003, 1:14 pm

Agree. Well she can always get a 660T. No thanks. You drive off the trail a little and you better have snowmobile AAA! Whats that thing weigh anyway? Better have some strong friends to get that out of 4feet of powder.
NHSledATVrider

Postby R_TICAT » March 11th, 2003, 9:59 pm

How do you figure there are only 2 Sabercats? Just because there are only 2 colors?
You can still get a 500 Carb, 600 EFI or Carb and a 700 EFI. You can get the standard, LX w/ES and Rev. or the EXT w/ES, Rev. and a longer track.
They all have a position sensitive shock which should make for a nice ride.
As far as looking like a ditch banger, her ZL is the same style as a ZR, which up until this year was Cat's ditch banger styled sled.
I agree that it would be nice to have some more choices for spring orders on the entire line up, but I bet she would love a Sabercat once she got used to it!
Not a bash in any way, just my opinion!
R_TICAT
R_TICAT

Postby Cat kid » March 11th, 2003, 11:11 pm

I think it will be a great trail cruiser. Yes the chassis and engines are the same as the Firecat, but the ergo's are completely different. It has the same handlebars as the ZL last year (don't let the hooks throw you off, they are still low) and check out the storage area!!!! The only reason you might want to wait would be that cat might make it an SS next year.
[green]Long live the T-Train!!!!![/green]
[green]He is gone, but not forgotten[/green]

[red]Just think, somewhere out there, it's snowing right now!!!!![/red]

[blue] I may not be a member, but I am still a proud FFA[blue]
Cat kid

Postby zl5 » March 12th, 2003, 12:53 am

Why is it that the f5 105hp and the sabercat 500 80hp. Why is this????? I mean my own snowmobile has more hp than the sabercat. Why would they put such a weak power plant in that sled? And why is it that everyone keep saing that it is the same sled but just a different suspension and bars and rear trunk. When it IS NOT THE SAME SLED.

Come on just look at the arctic cat website and compare the f5 and the sabercat 500 and you will see what im talking about.

*This Message was edited on 12-Mar-03 05:54 AM by zl5*
zl5

Postby catman_snowpro » March 12th, 2003, 3:10 am

I dont think so. Its hard for the snowmobile company to make so many sleds! I think the "old" ZR/ZL chassis was great! But it old! Its time for something new! I hate to see it go, but man I really like the new "firecat". I rode my brother new F-7 last weekend! It a different ride! Its something to get used too, but after riding it I would never buy a ZR again (maybe a ZR 900 for the power, but the F-9 will be here next year).

It just handeled great and couldn't feel the bumps.

I heard the 2004 Fan sno-pro is going to be n the firecat body next year.

But its call marketing! There are every few cat riders that dont like the new style! I love it, but I anit everyone, there will be some that dont like it. Every sno-cross race i went to in 2002 everybody was running into the arctic cat both and asking "When can I get one! When is cat going to build a sled to look like the new snowpro!"

What happened! 2003 the intro duction of the firecat!
My dealer cant get anyone to look at the 2003 ZR 800 and the ZR 900 he has!

Arctic didnt want to make the F-6. I asked the factory cat guy why didnt the build a F-6. He told me "Why?? You can get a F-5 for $7,000, and a F-7 for $7400, why would u pay $7200 for a F-6?? Why wouldnt u just spend $200 more and get a F-7.

So this winter I seen him again. I ask him whats new?? He said "there is a rumor that cat is coming with a F-6 as a late season sled! He told me I could bank on it!" I asked him "why, I thought cat wasnt going to build one because of the F-5 and F-7 were so close in price?"

He told me they didnt, but everyone was asking for one and marketing was getting letter after letter asking why not! So marketing felt that they needed it to help sales, so they built it!

Same with a carb option on the new Firecats. Arctic cat was getting letter after letter with people wanting carbs! So maketing felt that the could get some more sales with a carb sled! So here they are!

So is cat making a mistake with the Sabercat! I dont know? But marketing thought it was going to work and they done it! Somethings work! Some dont!

As far as the F-5 have more power then the 500 Sabercat I think its because it dont have the powervalve on it. Arctic said the Sabercat 500 didnt need the power, is more of a beggernier sled, as the F-5 is a perforncae sled!

Sorry if u dont agree with me, but thats what I was told!
catman_snowpro

Postby pheel deeznutz » March 12th, 2003, 3:42 am

Just more junk ass arctic craps that will sit in boxes because of a terrible winter.
pheel deeznutz

Postby Pantera » March 12th, 2003, 4:55 am

I have to admit that I am not a big fan of the new chassis either, I like my 2000 ZR and my 2001 ZL 600 EFI ESR machines also. But after physically looking at them at the Sneak Peak I guess they are not so bad. I really do like the new hood on the T660, wide and low like the ZL but with the Cat Eye headlights. If I didn't buy those 2 ZL 600 EFI ESR's just last season I sure would be looking real hard at that black T660 Turbo!!
Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby Cat kid » March 12th, 2003, 7:13 am

Keep the trashing on the other side pheel!

I think the narrower tunnel will be more comfortable for long rides.
[green]Long live the T-Train!!!!![/green]
[green]He is gone, but not forgotten[/green]

[red]Just think, somewhere out there, it's snowing right now!!!!![/red]

[blue] I may not be a member, but I am still a proud FFA[blue]
Cat kid

Postby FreezurBurnt » March 12th, 2003, 9:00 am

The Sabercat 500 is for people that want 80hp [b]LIQUID COOLED[/b] sled

The Polaris Indy 500 has only 80hp and it still sell very well

The Sabrecat 500 is to compete against the Indy 500

This is also why the Sabrecat is a $1000 cheaper then the F5;)

I think it is a great move by Cat,like I said some like 80hp and LC,if you want 100hp 500 get the F5
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum