Subscribe Today

Cat making a mistake with the Sabercat?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby R_TICAT » March 12th, 2003, 10:41 am

Your right, the Sabercat 500 doesn't have power valves to keep the cost down. It is meant to replace the ZL550.
R_TICAT
R_TICAT

Postby ZiRT » March 12th, 2003, 11:13 am

R Tcat,
There are only 2 Sabercats, graphics wise, just as there are 13 Firecats with several different graphics and colors. With the Sabercat, it's either red or green.
The problem is that it's got the same agressive styling as the FCat, and the graphics are way too radical for a trail cruiser.
You're right, the ZL is the same as the ZR, but it's got a lot tamer paint job and styling.
Like I said, my wife and many others want a nice looking solo touring type sled, not a softer version or the SnoX wannabe.
Q: Why didn't Cat just put a nice quiet subtle paint and decal look on it?
A: They're pushing the race sled look.
[red]http://www.nyssnowassoc.org[/red]
ZiRT

Postby Cat kid » March 12th, 2003, 11:25 pm

If you want the power, step up to the 600 EFI!! No choking, smooth idiling and no rejetting. Just start it up get your stuff on and ride off. If you get EFI and electric start, then you get the remote start too. If for no other reason, say your in a resturant and are sitting by the window. When some one walks up to check out your cool cat, hit the bottom. It scares the sh*t out of people LOL!!!:)
[green]Long live the T-Train!!!!![/green]
[green]He is gone, but not forgotten[/green]

[red]Just think, somewhere out there, it's snowing right now!!!!![/red]

[blue] I may not be a member, but I am still a proud FFA[blue]
Cat kid

Postby ZR500PA » March 13th, 2003, 2:52 pm

It is because it does not have power valves like the F5, I think people wanted a liquid 440 and they made one with a little more zip.
ZR500PA

Postby M10rules » March 14th, 2003, 3:18 am

Zirt, ZLs have had the bolder graphics before. Go look at the 96 and 97 ZLs. I still see those on the trails just as much as the milder graphic models. The Sabercats are more of a cruiser like the old ZLs were. Part of going to the new chassis is money. If Cat stuck with the old style for just the ZLs, it would raise the price of them. Also, not completely sure but I think the tooling only last about 5 years or so when you are doing large runs. Tooling is expensive to replace so they might as well take the models up to a newer design.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Postby jefff1 » March 14th, 2003, 10:44 pm

I love the looks...ride...handling and power of my 02 ZL600efiSS...and the 2200 trouble free miles that I put on him this season..BUT I've traded him for the new Green Sabercat 700 LX EXT...I'm really looking forward to the 700 motor and the 144" narrow track in the Firecat chassis...I think the looks are stunning and I'm counting down the months until next season....
Tom Kat
jefff1

Previous

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum