Subscribe Today

Worst dealer in WI - Twin Lakes Marine

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby BLADEGUY » March 11th, 2003, 1:43 pm

Brought the Blade in to get a new spring put in the clutch (broken). Called Saturday - he said it could be done while I wait on Monday. On Monday I called and asked because it was already aftenoon. He said 'They are unloading a truck. They cant just drop what their doing and help you'. Fine. So I dropped by Tuesday to see if they could do it. Pulled up in back with the sled and asked the service guy if he had time to do it. He said yes and I brought it in. It took 1/2 hour of labor. The owner comes in the middle and is pissed. Said he told me he couldn't do that. The guy charges me 65 dollars. I said 65 dollars - what's your labor rate. He said 65 an hour. He is billing me extra for coming in and having my work done (without checking with him - I asked the service guy if he had time). What an a$$ H0!#. I was so shocked I went ahead and paid and told him that I had bought stuff in the past, but will not in the future. When I got home I wondered why did I pay. What was I thinking. He can't do that. Anyway, it's Twin Lakes Marine in Twin Lakes Wisconsin (Polaris). I believe the man I dealt with was the owner. Please do not patronize him.

Anyone else have a dealer that suc%$
I want to ride every day, all day, as fast as I can.
BLADEGUY

Postby Icehole » March 11th, 2003, 2:25 pm

In all fairness, we should hear Twin Lakes Marine's version.
Icehole

Postby BLADEGUY » March 11th, 2003, 11:06 pm

As far as Twin Lakes Marines version - that is why I told the whole story. I suspect the person I talked to on Saturday who said it could be done while I wait is a different person. Honestly, his version will be that he told me he couldn't do it while I wait and I went behind his back and did it anyway. To some extent, this may be true. However, I did not come in Monday because they were unloading the truck. I parked in back in case they could take me right away, went into the shop and asked if they had time to help me. I don't know who the service manager is. I just asked the guy who looked like he was in charge. He said bring it in and started working on it. My point is, even if you think I was in the wrong for not asking the right guy or going behind his back, the mechanic stated the work was 1/2 an hour. He charged me for an hour. Should I be charged $35 dollars as a penalty? When I asked, he stated he was doing this. I asked if they had time to do it and they said yes. I told him this. If they had said that they were busy I would have brought it back another time. Even if I am in the wrong, a financial penalty is rediculus and wrong. I am calling my credit card company to dispute the charge. I don't know if it is legitimate or legal for a shop to charge someone a financial penalty for alleged misconduct. They did 1/2 hour of work for me. My 'crime' is not that big a deal. The penalty is outrageous. Its not the amount of money, just the thought.
BLADEGUY

Postby Tantrum » March 11th, 2003, 11:39 pm

This Is Blades opinion and how he viewed the situation. Agreed the other side of the story may be different but I think he did a good job of telling the whole story. He not bashing just a little pissed and rightfully so. In business the customer is always right and thats how you have to understand if you want to run a succesful bus.
Sounds to me like this guy has a little nepolean complex, wife probly kicked his ass out the house earlier.
As far as the billing, alot of shops have 1hr minimums. The time and agravation dealing with this might not be worth it. I would just not patronize this shop again.
Tantrum

Postby skidoorider » March 11th, 2003, 11:54 pm

I have been in the snowmobile /lawn & garden industry fo 21 years and minimum labor rates have always been around . If you're hacked off because you bought an over-priced sled and didn't get a chance to ride much because of a poor winter.......TOUGH !!!!! Get over it and look forward to next winter. RB
2007 Jayco 29BHS
2007 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Equalizer Hitch
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller
skidoorider

Postby BLADEGUY » March 12th, 2003, 6:16 am

To get the record straight. He does not have a one hour minimum. I asked him if he was pimping me because of what happend and he said yes. I am extremely pissed off because he charged me an extra 30 dollars as some kind of punishment. Not if there had been a minimum. And by the way, I rode 4000 miles this year so there!
BLADEGUY

Postby Icehole » March 12th, 2003, 8:21 am

Blade, call em up and see if it was the owner or not that admittedly overcharged you.If it was'nt the real owner would want to know about it.If it was he really should post a sign saying the fine for budding in line is 30 bucks....Hey I believe you,but now am starting to lol.you will too after a couple weeks,you'll look back and realize you got busted for budding in line,and feel lucky he did'nt pop ya for another 20 for not getting along well with others.
Icehole

Postby BLADEGUY » March 12th, 2003, 12:57 pm

Maybe! What irks me is that I explained what happened and apologized. He cooled off and became friendly and chit chatted. Then boom, $65 bucks. The way he was talking, I think he was the owner. I am going to go in tomorrow and ask for a receipt. He gave me one for the visa, but not for the work order. If he puts 1/2 hour, $65 I can show that he mischarged me. If he puts 1 hour labor, that is fraud. He probably won't give me one at all. Anyway, I am going to demand a partial refund. The Better Business Bureau asks that you try to resolve it first, so I will.
BLADEGUY

Postby PLUMR69 » March 12th, 2003, 2:47 pm

I agree with you dude. I hate to break it to you, but I think the owner has you by the balls. Sure he's a prick, but he can come up with some excuse as to why it was more money. If it were me, I would not patronize his buisness. Its common sense that if this guy is like this all of his customers than he would go under due to lack of sales. Thats my input.
PLUMR69

Postby snowraser » March 16th, 2003, 11:29 am

My 2 cents here:

As someone on the end of running a sled dealership, sleddin season is insanity season. We see every type of customer, every day, and we had to learn a long time ago that you cant make everyone happy. You do your d**ndest to make as many people happy as you can, and that is all you can do. We know that there are as many people out there that will never come back and spread foul stories about us, as there are folks that will never shop anywhere else. It is a tough business to be in. We choose to stay in this business because we made an investment, in you, in the business and in ourselves. We hope that we can be reasonable, and that you will be reasonable as well. Every owner, every customer, and every employee is different, and they will all interact differently. Sometimes personalities clash. My advise to you would be to cool off, and give the employee/owner a chance to cool off too. Go back to see him, or better yet, call him, ask for the owner, and see if there is a time for him that is typically less busy, so you can come by and chat. If you walk in the store unannounced, at a time when there are fifty customers milling around, or at 3 oclock on Friday when everyone wants all there toys ready for the weekend, it will always be difficult. And you are right, you never know when someone just s**t in his oatmeal, and ruined his day. I know that we make sure that if the question is service related, the service mgr handles it. Sometimes he isnt there, and we wing it. Sometimes we make mistakes too. Remember that ole game we played as a kid, when you whispered something in one kids ear and then that kid whispered it on down the line to 10 others, and how distorted it always was. Well, this can happen here. He coulda said something you misunderstood or vice versa.

Bottom line is we hate to have an unhappy customer, and you hate to be unhappy, so give him a chance to come clean, and talk it out. You may end up leaving happy. If not and you leave even more mad, your best recourse is to spend your money elsewhere, cause if you both sit down civilized like, and talk about it, that is the best both of you could hope for. He may refund you, or he may still say you were wrong.It is very difficult to analyze the situation without all the people in the room that interacted.

Good luck to you,remember, you are in control of how you react to the things in your life. One last question, if he refunds 30 bucks, are you going to spend more money at this business? If your answer is no, then I would just drop it, you mental health is more important, and that is why they make competition, eventually, if the dealer is wrong with most everyone that comes in that store, they will not be in business.

Snowraser
4 strokes r better than 2
snowraser

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum