Subscribe Today

any comments on the Durango?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby davenorthbay » September 15th, 2003, 3:16 pm

I am pulling a 4 place trailer and was looking at getting a 01'Durang slt I think it is ,it has the 318 v8. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with them?
davenorthbay

Postby 04Blair 800X » September 15th, 2003, 4:08 pm

I've got a newer dakota with the 318. All depending on how the durango is setup could make all the differance. You must also consider gear ratio, transmission, and the payload inside of the vehicle. If you call you local dodge dealer they could tell you the exact GVWR (Gross vehicle weight rating) and tell you the maximum that you are supposed to tow. It may also be posted inside of your drivers door edge. Personally, i dont tow alot with my truck, but when i have to, the powers all there. If you find that you neen a few extra ponies in the truck, try a aftermarket air cleaner and/or a less restrictive exhaust (maybe cat-back) for just a few (being $$$ conscious).
04Blair 800X

Postby RENEGADE13 » September 15th, 2003, 7:20 pm

If I remember correctly the durango can tow 7,500 lbs, according to there ad a couple years ago. I remember cause the grand cherokee can only haul 6500 lbs.
RENEGADE13

Postby Luv2sled » September 16th, 2003, 3:36 am

I have two family members who own Durangos (brother and brother-in-law.....both have had several issues with them and sort of wish they had never bought them to begin with. Both have had transmission problems and just about every little thing you can think of from power window failures to windshield wipers not working.
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Postby Dunior » September 16th, 2003, 4:00 am

we owned a durango with the 360 in it and it was an awesome vehicle, lots of power, we even mounted a plow on it, and it worked great.
Polaris, because I don't like to work on my sled, but I do sure like to beat on them.
Dunior

Postby yamaha1man » September 16th, 2003, 4:04 am

My business partner bought one for his wife. P.O.S. period. Sorry. They also had some issues with it. The 4 wheel drive chunked in it. 4000.00 bucks and Dodge didn't want to pay. It was a battle for him. Kinda ruins the point of a new suv.
yamaha1man

Postby davenorthbay » September 16th, 2003, 5:12 am

Yeah I kinda thought that was the answers I was going to get.I just got rid of my Expedition and that was a big POS sooo many things broke and I had it since new and put 85k on it.
davenorthbay

Postby 2k2mxz6 » September 16th, 2003, 8:59 am

Dave what kind of problems did you have with you're Expedition?I have a 2000 with a 5.4 and 65000 miles.It used oil until I switched to Quaker State.I love it.
2k2mxz6

Postby davenorthbay » September 16th, 2003, 11:55 am

mine was a 99' heres the list- transmission went at 40k but my freind works for ford and he talked them into letting me buy the extended warranty after the fact,4 wheel drive selonoid went the day b4 I left for Tug Hill,right side exhaust manifold leaked, fuse panel had to be replaced,some links in the frt. end went,radio display is gone,alternator went,drivers side window stopped working,wipers went on by themselves but that was a recall. I pulled a 24' Baja, a 31'sonic with twin big blocks, a 4 place enclosed trailer and beat on the truck pretty bad but some of that stuff cant be caused by the driver.it was an awesome truck dont get me wrong,eddie bauer and all but I did have some problems with it,but I never had a vehicle with no problems.
davenorthbay

Postby Pro X » September 16th, 2003, 1:02 pm

Hi Dave,

Here are my 2 cents. First I used to own a transmission shop. We had more Chrysler products in there than anything. Mostly mini vans but the Dodge trucks we had (pickup, Cherokee, Dakota etc.) were all high dollar transmissions. This was a major concern that I didn't want one. My buddy bought a 03 Ford F350 crew cab with the new 6.6L Diesel ($42,000 truck) in it and on our way out of Ontario last March the truck just shut off in Michigan. Long Story Short... over the next 2 days I drove from the Mackinaw Bridge to Cleveland 4 times getting our trailer home and all the guys. Ford paid for the tow etc but left the trailer on the side of the road. I was not impressed how Ford handled these issues. We are still waiting for reimbursement for motel stay and car rental after 7 months.

That only brings me to Chevrolet, I have owned 3 brand new Chevys since 1990 and I have had 2 minor problems in 13 almost 14 years. They pull like crazy, least amount of trans problems and to me the most courteous on the phone when dealing with issues.

I know you might have problems with ANY vehicle you might purchase. Nothing is for sure, but I think I will always put my money into a GM Product.

Todd
[blue][b]*I'd rather push a Polaris than ride an Arctic Cat.*[/b][/blue]
Pro X

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum