Subscribe Today

any comments on the Durango?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Serpent » September 22nd, 2003, 1:38 pm

Let me give you a little lesson here, bud.
Toyota build all but 2 of their North American vehicle in the USA. The Tacoma, Corolla, Echo and Matrix/Pontiac Vibe are built in California. The Tundra and Seqoia are build in Indiana. The Sienna, Camry and Avalon are built in Kentucky.
Granted it is a Japanese company but they employ American workers.
They are invest a lot more in the American workforce than the so-called "domestic" automakers who are trying to move their operations overseas.
And as far as not buying Japanese products because they "stuck it in our backs in 1941", that was over 50 years ago man, let it go. The Japanese are out friends now.
You know if the American automakers would put out a quality product I would be more than happy to own a Ford or Chevy. The simple fact is they DONT. For most people they are lucky to have an American car or truck with over 200,000 miles. Even the once that make it that long constantly need repairs. Ive got an F-150 with only 92,000 on it and Ive had to fix it 5 times in the past year.
I owned those 2 Toyotas that had 250,000 and 100,000 and they NEVER gave me moment of grief.
If I could afford to trade-in my F-150 on a new (or even a real nice used) Toyota truck I would, but Id rathar get a new sled in the next year or 2. The sled I have now is nice, but its 14 years old and its time for something a little newer.
And you are right, I AM a serpent. You know why? Its because I dont bother people unless they back me into a corner and force me to defend myself, just like a snake.
If me owning a Toyota truck and a Yamaha sled makes me a traitor, then so be it! Afterall, isnt the cornerstone of our country freedom? You know, open competition and may the best product win. Isnt UN-AMERICAN of YOU to tell me I should only buy American products (and saying that Im a traitor if I prefer something foreign)?
The plain and simple fact is this, the USA is the greatest country in the world because many people from various countries come together as one, together making something greater than they could have been seperately.
There is no such thing somethig that is truly made in the USA anymore, look at the tags on almost any type of electronic or piece of clothing. Most of it is made in China or Korea nowdays. Thats because AMERICAN companies would rathar have operations in those countries an pay people $.25 a day and not have to deal with unions than to pay our people $10.00 an hour to make the sam products.
By the way, how do you like your 600 XCR with its FUJI (a very Japanese) engine?
All the best stuff is made in Japan.
Serpent

Postby Pro X » September 23rd, 2003, 12:55 am

AHHHHHHHHHH................

Mission accomplished, it seems you have gotten pretty wound up!
I guess that is why they call it the trasher site.

Seriously, Toyota does built a reliable vehicle from what I hear. I will never own one since I still beleive in keeping the profits in the US. I don't think you'll find anything made 100% in any country unless you take a shovel and dig a peice of grass out of your back yard and say 100% made in America. (find out where the seed came from first)
[blue][b]*I'd rather push a Polaris than ride an Arctic Cat.*[/b][/blue]
Pro X

Postby Yetii » September 23rd, 2003, 3:55 am

The 2001 Durango has the 4.7L engine (2000 was the first year with the 4.7). The transmission is a 4 speed which has since been droppped in 2003 for a 5 speed.
As far as how good they are...don't know...sorry.
Yetii

Postby Arctic April » February 25th, 2004, 12:12 pm

[quote]Hey Fastcougar, I like your signature.... But Obviously you don't own or ride with Firecat people!!!

#1 Polaris is the largest snowmobile manufacture in the world.
#2 Polaris doesn't win every race either, they felt they should put their money in building a better sled than a driver.
#3 I have wrenched on more Cats than anything, someone else has a signature I liked. "Be a good friend, carry Cat parts." That is the truth.

I hope you like my signature!![/quote]

PRO X,
Do you have the emprical data to back up that Polaris is the largest snowmobile manufacture in the world? I am doing a research study; and that the type of specific data I am looking for. I would be nice to find some hard data.
Arctic April
Arctic April

Postby RobXCSP » February 26th, 2004, 8:19 am

My dad had a '98 Expedition and put over 120,000 miles on it with the same problems you had. His wippers quit working, the driver side window quit working (had to drive around with it down for a day), his 4WD selinoid when out, and the radio quit on him. Other than those problems I thought it was a pretty sweet truck.
RobXCSP

Postby reelrazor » February 26th, 2004, 3:40 pm

[quote]AHHHHHHHHHH................

Mission accomplished, it seems you have gotten pretty wound up!
I guess that is why they call it the trasher site.

Seriously, Toyota does built a reliable vehicle from what I hear. I will never own one since I still beleive in keeping the profits in the US. [/quote]

Hey if you seriously believe in "keeping the profits in the U.S." by all means DON'T buy a Chrysler(Daimler) product. Not only are the profits held in GERMANY, they canned most of the U.S. management within the first year of buying out Chrysler.

Someone else earlier mentioned Japan 'sticking it in our backs'(see link below) you shouldn't buy Chrysler either.

http://www.independent.org/tii/news/011203Stinnett.html
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Postby - -CHIG- ->>> » February 28th, 2004, 8:13 pm

Frankly, in these days of $30k + trucks and suvs, anybody who just plunks their money down on anything just because it's "domestic" is a fool. You should do your homework and figure out which one suits you the best. To hell with brand loyalty. You should be willing to get the best/most truck for your money. Trucks/suvs are the hottest selling segment of the market right now and the manufacturers have to keep updating them just to keep up with the competition. Personally, I plan on getting a new Titan this fall. I have an '01 Dakota QC 4x4 right now and it has been a problem free truck. I just want something bigger with a higher towing capacity. You really need to check out the numbers on the specific truck that you are looking at. Mine has the 4.7 w/automatic and towing package but it is only rated at 4850 lbs for towing. You should have heard the camper dealers trying to tell me that I was wrong and that I could pull a much bigger camper when I gave them that number. I have checked and re-checked that figure dozens of times because I thought it was too low, but to no avail.
2006 Keystone Outback 29BHS
2006 Dodge 2500HD 4x4 w/some mods
Politically Incorrect And Proud Of It :p
- -CHIG- ->>>

Postby reelrazor » February 29th, 2004, 3:50 am

Right on Chig.

Not to mention when someone [b]WASTES[/b] money, that is money they can't spend elsewhere, so it hurts the economy overall for everyone to get less value for more money.

Doesn't anyone remember the REALLY crappy stuff Detroit was producing at the end of the 70's? That is what happens when protectionism prevails and competition is slim.(note protectionism doesn't have to come down from guvmt. sources, it can and is usually more effective when it is a matter of personal policy-rememeber the 'bash the toyota with a baseball bat for $5' deals at fairgrounds? ).

People in Japan own GM stock. People here own Japanese stock. If a company is publically held, its ownership is in flux continously.

I know this isn't a popular view. I KNOW that if I tie up my money in a ****ty money pit I can't spend it on other things.
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Postby Pro X » February 29th, 2004, 4:00 am

April,
I have read in magazines etc. about Polaris selling the most sled yearly, however I believe that Ski Doo sold more last year. Sorry I don't have hard facts that you might need. How is sledding in Alaska? Is it all mountian riding or is there a trail system?
[blue][b]*I'd rather push a Polaris than ride an Arctic Cat.*[/b][/blue]
Pro X

Postby Doo or Die » February 29th, 2004, 2:06 pm

Isn't Dodge part of a German company now... Daimler/Chrysler.... and I think those Nazis did there fair share of killin' in WWII.

Chrysler has also joined forces with Hyundia and Mitsubishi to make engines... www.detnews.com/2003/autosinsider/0302/12/autos-82519.htm

And... did you know that Mitsubishi designed and built the Zeroes that bombed pearl harbour... mitsubishi_zero.tripod.com
Doo or Die

Previous

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum