Subscribe Today

Trail riding protection (Tekvest or similar)

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby xcsp » September 17th, 2003, 4:09 pm

Does anyone wear a Tek Vest or Saf-Jac when trail riding? If so, what do you wear, and how do you like it? I've been thinking of going with one of these or some type of jacket with armor similar to what a motorcycle jacket has.
xcsp

Postby stevie thunder » September 18th, 2003, 1:50 am

i wear a reima jacket with armor built in but don't have a lot of confidence it would protect me in a bad wreck.i know someone that was thrown from his sled @ 70+ and then run over by his buddies 3 times.he almost died and his injuries would have been far less i believe if he was wearing a techvest.hard to say because it's a hypothetical.definately can't hurt to wear one,especially if you're on the edge all the time.
"blinding images flashing by,like a windshield towards a fly"
stevie thunder

Postby Riley7 » September 18th, 2003, 2:18 am

I ride with the Tek-Vest, and after using it once I don't think I'd leave home without it. In my book, it's just as important as wearing a helmet. The Tek-Vest is comfortable, actually help keeps you warm, and provides excellent upper body protection. I could give several examples of sledders coming thru minor and major accidents basically un-harmed, due to wearing a Tek-Vest. If you don't ride with one, try it and you'll never go back to riding without one!
Riley7

Postby Shelbyboy48317 » September 18th, 2003, 2:36 am

Riley,

Which vest do you wear? I have been really thinking about getting one but was afraid they were restricting and not comfortable. Have you experienced this? I alway ride hard and am not to worried about me crashing but someone crashing into me. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Shelbyboy48317

Postby Riley7 » September 18th, 2003, 3:24 am

Shelby, I ride with the Tek-Vest Supersport. In my mind, it's the best vest out there for the trail rider. I find it very comfortable, and it actually makes me feel more secure on the sled. I wear a set of cordura snow pants instead of bibs, the Tek-Vest, and a mid weight jacket. You can actually wear a lighter jacket when wearing the Tek-Vest, because it helps keep your torso warm. It also adds some support to your lower back, similar to what a kidney belt would do. After you're on your sled for ten minutes or so you wont even notice the Tek-Vest, and you'll actually feel naked if you ride without it! As an added benefit, if you wear the Tek-Vest under your jacket it makes you look like a bad-ass that spends a lot of time in the gym!

XCSP, if I were you I wouldn't wear a jacket with the bike armor, they arent designed to protect you from the type of impacts you'll encounter on a sled.
Riley7

Postby ChrisXCR » September 18th, 2003, 5:13 am

I wear a Tek Vest pro-lite, but I'm thinking of upgrading to the snocross version, pro-lite sc. They're alittle bit bigger and more complicated to put on (the first time you put it on you're gonna go "what the F---?" once you figure it out its easy) and more money but the protection is worth it, IMHO.

You may want to consider the trail pro. Its similar to the race versions but without the shoulder pads and has the ability to add packs etc. The thing I don't like about some of the lesser models is the zipper. The TeK vest Race and trail pro don't have one and I think its safer because the protection is continuos. Its up to you and any of them are far better than nothing.

I've had a couple pretty good hits with mine and I was fine each time.

Just don't be afraid to spend some money on a top model, particularly if you ride hard.

As others have said it is a little weird the first time you ride with it but after a couple miles you won't ride without it, it becomes a part of your gear. You'll want a shell or something like that and no bibs as well 'cause they do get warm. You'll want Layers!!!!! You can add or subtract them as needed.

As Tek Vest says, "If you have to be somewhere Monday morning......."
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Postby Shelbyboy48317 » September 18th, 2003, 5:36 am

How much did you pay for yours and where did you buy it?
Shelbyboy48317

Postby ChrisXCR » September 18th, 2003, 6:16 am

I got mine from Dennis Kirk.

This years prices from the '04 book

Pro lite SC and XC are both $313.99

trail pro $265.99 or $303.99 if you need XXL

Supersport $218.99 or $237.99 for XXL and up

Sport $170.99 or $189.99 for XXL

You can also order right from Tek Rider

www.tekrider.com they have pictures and sizing charts etc..
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Postby xcsp » September 18th, 2003, 6:28 am

Thanks guys for the info. I'll check into the different models of the Tekvest as they appear to be quality-built and haven't seen any other companies that make a similar product.
xcsp

Postby zr500 » September 18th, 2003, 12:00 pm

I started to wear a SuperSport last year, and probably should have bought one sooner. Luckily haven't had to test it yet. Don't let the price restrict you from purchasing one, in my mind it is like an insurance policy. I was skeptical at first that it would inhibit mobility, but that is not the case at all. It also adds warmth, and after putting it on the first time, forget it is there. Strongly recommend that everyone get one, not just for your own riding style, but also the way others use the trails these days.
zr500

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum