Subscribe Today

'96 Chevy Blazer

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

'96 Chevy Blazer

Postby XCSPchick » October 12th, 2003, 6:57 am

My friend's parents are selling their Blazer for $4000 and has 80,000 miles on it, I think it's a pretty good deal. It's a 6 cyl with 4WD and I was wondering if it would kill the car towing an enclosed trailer with two sleds for trips that are 3 hours each way. We planned to alternate between that and the Dodge Ram and we go up north about 6-8 times a year. I also need it because my car absolutely hates snow and I have to drive 30 miles to school on the thruway everyday. Is a 6 cyl too weak to make that kind of trip? And do you all think it's a good deal? It's always in their heated garage and washed every few days and waxed several times a year. It has all its service records from the Chevy dealership and has been meticulously maintained. The person that owns this has cared for it as if it were their kid.
God must love stupid people; He made so many.
XCSPchick

'96 Chevy Blazer

Postby 1fastcougar440 » October 12th, 2003, 7:40 am

It all depends on how fast you want to get to your riding area. Obviously a 6 is not going to do what an 8 does w/out modifications. The Ram will get you there faster, and you'll also be more comfortable driving it because its bigger, and you have a little more control on the road than a Blazer. Not that you aren't a tough little lady or nothing...(wink wink) my 2 cents-harry
[green]********************************************************************************************[/green]

Hearts stars and horseshoes, that leprechauns on ACID!!
1fastcougar440

'96 Chevy Blazer

Postby MX-ZAHOLIC » October 12th, 2003, 10:52 am

It'll tow the sleds to where you're going, but the 8 cylinder will definitely be more comfortable towing. Not to mention that the truck will probably be better on gas than the Blazer. But, in short, the Blazer should have no problem towing.
[b][purple]SNOW'S ALL GONE, TIME TO GO FISHIN'![/b][/purple]

[b][blue]WEATHER IN FORT FRANCES[/b][/blue]
[img]http://www.theweathernetwork.com/inter/weathercentre/weatherbutton/images/can/KINL.gif[/img]
MX-ZAHOLIC

'96 Chevy Blazer

Postby XCSPchick » October 12th, 2003, 3:51 pm

Thank you both for your help. I checked it out this afternoon and it was in mint condition. I drove it and it ran smoothly. The engine is very clean and I found out it has a Vortec engine. I wanted to use this as an alternate so we're not always beating up the other truck. Thanks again.
God must love stupid people; He made so many.
XCSPchick

'96 Chevy Blazer

Postby CheeseSledder » October 14th, 2003, 7:24 am

My ex-wife has a 98' Blazer with the Vortec V-6 and about the same mileage. She fried the transmission towing my ex-boat that weighed 3,500 lbs including the trailer (hate to say I told her so :)). I know of 2 other people that had 98' Blazers that also had to have transmissions replaced. I am a little leary of them but if you buy it have a transmission oil cooler installed on it if you plan to tow with it. Is the enclosed trailer really an enclosed or a 2 place with a Bearcat-type cover (lighter trailer).
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

'96 Chevy Blazer

Postby kenlacy » October 14th, 2003, 7:48 am

had a 91 s-10 blazer - that thing towed 2 sleds and a tailer - and a boat many times with no problems - just sold it last year - had it since 93.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

'96 Chevy Blazer

Postby ZR800EFI » October 15th, 2003, 1:48 am

I had a '95 with 75000 miles and spun the bearings...hardly pulled anything with it other than single trailer and sled, and a 3000lb boat a couple times. Tore down, replace bearings, put back together and it seemed to be fine. Didn't replace anything else and to this day, don't know why it happened.

Talked to a machine shop and he said it wasn't uncommon for the 4.3 Vortec. I found that a little hard to believe since there are so many on the road...???
ZR800EFI

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum