Subscribe Today

What can be done to make it fast

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby S-X-R 700 Trip » November 10th, 2003, 6:16 am

What can I do to this sled to make fast on the lakes too, w/o spending all my money? I had planned on putting pipes on it, but ran into the money issue thing. I buddy is just running his mouth like crazy and I would like more than anything to shut him up once the snow starts flyin. Even if I can just hang in there with his formula 670 I would be happy, but the way it sounds I won't be able to. Any suggestions would greatly appreciated. Also where are the best places to ride in New York? I will be doing my first bit of traveling this winter, with the purchase of my new trailer.
Nate Rostocil
S-X-R 700 Trip

Postby viper_trails » November 10th, 2003, 6:22 am

YOu can thin down the head gasket for starters (10mm). Actually, go to totallyamaha.com, they will have all the info you need.
viper_trails

Postby punker248 » November 10th, 2003, 6:35 am

yes www.totallyamaha.com is a great site for info so make sure you take a look.

But we have to know what kind of budget you're working with here.
punker248

Postby S-X-R 700 Trip » November 10th, 2003, 6:53 am

$700 - $1000
Nate Rostocil
S-X-R 700 Trip

Postby S-X-R 700 Trip » November 10th, 2003, 7:23 am

About how long does it take to complete the 700 Triple Sx Head Gasket Mod. And is there any other things you should keep in mind other than what they tell you in totallyamaha.com when doing this. thanks, for your suggestios.
Nate Rostocil
S-X-R 700 Trip

Postby Stimp » November 10th, 2003, 7:56 am

Some things I did to my 2001 SX-R

I am not big on heavy engine mods or spending $$$ on pipes but I did install a stage 3 clutch kit from Hauck. Intake spacers, Boyessen reeds and the thinner head gasket, All easy installs. Actually check Hauck motorsports web site, they have a performace package that includes all of the above. Good bang for the buck, should be in your price range.
Easy, easy.....it's just a couple of dimes.
Stimp

Postby Luv2sled » November 10th, 2003, 8:22 am

SXR 700........all the mods in the world won't do anything for you unless your getting traction. Get a good track and set the suspension up. The head mod works but you can squeeze a lot out of that sled in clutching alone for very little $$$. If you really want to haul the mail get yourself a set up trip. pipes.
Life is like a crap sandwich, the more bread you have the less crap you have to eat.
Luv2sled

Postby Stimp » November 10th, 2003, 10:15 am

Exactly!!
Transfer rods are a must. Before any of the above is done you need to invest in a set of these. All Yami aftermarket suppliers have them.
Easy, easy.....it's just a couple of dimes.
Stimp

Postby S-X-R 700 Trip » November 11th, 2003, 4:44 am

Hey Stimp, I looked up that Hauck website, I found the stage 3 clutch kit. But you said they have a performance package that includes the stage 3 clutch kit, intake spacers, boyessen reeds and the thinner head gasket. I did not see it. I just got done ordering the transfer rods, do they make that big of a difference? What do you recommend for exhaust, leave stock or go with a silencer/can? What kind of mph are you pulling? and what can I expect out of mine? I am not in to those loud pipes myself.
Nate Rostocil
S-X-R 700 Trip

Postby ZR800EFI » November 11th, 2003, 5:43 am

My brother-in-law had an '01 SXr700. Most know it's a dog out of the box.

He removed two layers of head gaskets, added VForce reeds, clutched and jetted, MaxPerf Roller Secondary, had MaxPerf punch out his exhaust, 192 studs, and transfer rods.

Never had it on the radar to see how it worked, but it could hang with a 670HO that worked pretty good on the lake. If you do a few mods like clutching and getting it to hook up, along with the head gasket, it should take the plain 670.
ZR800EFI

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum