Subscribe Today

Need Help w/ Sx-R

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby S-X-R 700 Trip » December 20th, 2003, 1:08 am

Was out riding my '01 Sx-R 700 last night and seemed like it was lacking in power, like it was only running on two cylinders, it did not have that crisp sound too it. Would be near full throttle and only hitting 50 mph or so. It only has about 200 miles on it. What could be wrong?
Nate Rostocil
S-X-R 700 Trip

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby sLeD_mAn » December 20th, 2003, 1:51 am

SOUNDS EXPENSIVE....
YES THAT GOES OVER 100
sLeD_mAn

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby CheeseSledder » December 20th, 2003, 2:01 am

Check the plugs, you probably have one fouled. The first tank of gas is pre-mixed with oil, plus the oil that you get from the injector so it is real rich for the first tank and tends to foul plugs. I'd change all 3, it sounds like you are on your 3rd tank now.
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby FREEZIN D » December 20th, 2003, 2:02 am

Plugs, run a NGK BR9ES
FREEZIN D

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby S-X-R 700 Trip » December 20th, 2003, 2:10 am

Before I went out last night I put 3 brand new Br9es plugs in it. When I got on the gas hard it sounded like it was running really ruff. I thought these sxr's were supposed to be dependable.
Nate Rostocil
S-X-R 700 Trip

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby Long time cat man » December 20th, 2003, 2:34 am

They will all foul a plug on occasion, and especially triples and in particular if they're jetted too fat and ya try & run it before it warms up. Find the cold plug, change it, and go ride it & have fun!
Long time cat man

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby davenorthbay » December 20th, 2003, 2:53 am

I learned that you have to have them really warmed up or else they will foul, did it twice on my srx700 and scared the crap out of me just make sure it is warmed up I'd say at least 10-15 min putting around b4 you hammer on it.
davenorthbay

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby Burky » December 20th, 2003, 3:21 am

They need to be warmed up well before a ride. The price for not doing so is paid in fouled plugs. Don't let it sit and idle while it's cold, that's an almost guaranteed plug fouler. Warm it up well, then shut it off while you dress and get ready. Then hold the rpm down under 6k or so until you have it warmed well. It doesn't take but a good 5 minutes or so to warm it decently. Until I figured this out, I fouled plugs like nothing, last year I fouled on on my first ride of the season.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby S-X-R 700 Trip » December 20th, 2003, 1:58 pm

Just got in from riding put about 70 miles on it and it ran great, I don't know what happen last night, maybe it was just bad gas. I even left the same plugs in from last night.
Nate Rostocil
S-X-R 700 Trip

Need Help w/ Sx-R

Postby yamaha1man » December 20th, 2003, 2:03 pm

Hey SXR, Hows your gas? good gas or crappy gas. I have the same exact sled and it flies. So far everyone has given you good advice. Check the plugs,let it warm up, try the heated carbs,maybe you have alittle icing in them. It should be a bullet proof sled dude. Good luck Yamaha1man
yamaha1man

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum