Subscribe Today

MOGULS!!!!!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby versatilleZ » January 12th, 2004, 5:34 pm

After my friend and I rode Tug Hill Sunday night we were beaten by 78 miles of moguls! On one of our breaks we discussed how sleds create moguls. We can understand why they litter corners, tight trails, and anywhere breaking, starting, and stopping occur, but even on long straigt-a-ways? Any ideas appreciated.

p.s.
Our friends on Tug Hill.....Groom on the weekends!!!!!!!!!!!12:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m.
versatilleZ

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby BackInIt » January 12th, 2004, 7:42 pm

You are riding in a group, people ahead of you speed up, so you pin it to speed up. Your track spins, and creates a nice little pile of snow. Multiply that by the million sleds on that trail for the day, and voila, mogul city.
BackInIt

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby 99indy600 » January 13th, 2004, 3:01 am

It works the same way with a dirt road. If there is a slight imperfection in the trail it gets a little bit bigger every time a sled goes over it. It is the suspension along with gettin on and off the trottle.
99indy600

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby versatilleZ » January 13th, 2004, 2:31 pm

I suppose that's how it's done, and in a half a million other variations. Thanks for the reply's! As I mentioned I ride Tug Hill quite often. Me and the other million people who can only ride on the weekends are treated to ungroomed heavily moguled trails. Does anybody want to tell me why grooming is not done on the weekend when people are actually riding? I realize that a groomer would slow heavy traffic down more than it is, but why not run a third shift each night. I will volunteer my time!

P.S.
How are weekends in other major destinations?
Will drive for groomed trails!

Z
versatilleZ

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby MXMAT » January 13th, 2004, 5:04 pm

Actually, none of those are correct. What really happens is that everytime an Arctic Cat rides on a trail, something falls off. When this happens it is usually covered by snow by another sled or snow that is falling at the time. Multiply this by a million Arctic Cat's, and viola, you have moguls

:-)
MXMAT

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby snowmanf600 » January 14th, 2004, 1:28 am

I robe tug hill sat and sun . Sat was great sun morning was not to bad afternoon was shot . Part of the grooming problem is flat rock lost it's club license all the other club are suppose to groom from there area to flat rock but won't becauce of what he did to them over the years . I saw groomers out at night the camp i was at when the groomer went by sat night we went out about an hour later had a blast running wide open . YOU got to remember the groomer drivers are sled riders too and vollenter there time . I do grooming for are trail system and when you groom at night it makes for a long day . If you want them groomed then join a club and start grooming .

Snowman F6
snowcat600
snowmanf600

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby dave583 » January 14th, 2004, 2:26 am

Thats where the groomers come in. They knock em down before they get outta hand. Glad I have an m-10.
dave583

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby versatilleZ » January 14th, 2004, 9:37 am

Is the M 10 good enough for hammering 80 miles of hell? My sled will do it as long as I can, but after that I'm the one that gets worn out. Do you have to take some kind of course to drive a groomer? I'll groom all night, then ride all day, because that's just the kind of guy I am!

Z
versatilleZ

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby Cummins Thunder » January 14th, 2004, 9:51 am

[URL]http://www.chippewasnowchasers.com/How%20to%20groom%20a%20trail..htm[/URL]
[img]http://am_ber_lyn.tripod.com/cummins2[/img]
Fear the Diesel!!!
[img]http://am_ber_lyn.tripod.com/cummins_logo.bmp[/img]
Cummins Thunder

MOGULS!!!!!

Postby dave583 » January 14th, 2004, 9:56 am

M-10 will protect you better than most suspensions but 80 miles of hell will probably do you in regardless.
dave583

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum