Subscribe Today

Sx 600R runs poor at start

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby yamaharules » January 21st, 2004, 11:13 am

I bought a new 2003 Yamaha Sx 600R. It seems like every time i start it up and want to go riding it runs poor till i get about a mile on it then the power is right there. If i put it on a stand it runs fine but when i sit on it and drive it, it runs bad. I let it warm up and i keep it in a heated garage. It seems like the plugs are bad then it comes out of it every time. What gives. Any help would be great!!
yamaharules

Postby Burky » January 21st, 2004, 1:05 pm

I've found that my 700 is somewhat sensitive to it's star5ting drill. Till I learned how to handle it. I fouled plugs like there was no tomorrow. Now I start a cold sled with full choke, and run it about 2000 rpm until it's warm enough to come off of choked. Then I run it for a minute or so, keeping it under clutch engagement. Then I shut it off, and get myself dressed and everything ready to go. I then restart with no choke, and keep it down to 55-6000 for the first mile or so while warming it up. After that it runs all day with one pull and works like a charm. Also, check that your carb heat isn't on when it isn't needed. That will throw you off. It's needed only in very specific conditions, like deep powder or conditions that can cause icing of the carb throat. Run it when not needed, and it will screw you up. Hope this helps.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Postby sledwrench » January 21st, 2004, 1:14 pm

If you keep it in a heated garage, you may be getting some condensation in the fuel tank. It also might be that you need to get used to the new sled, and figure out what works for you. Sometimes, three sleds of the same make and model will have different personalities.
sledwrench

Postby yamaharules » January 21st, 2004, 1:15 pm

Burky,
Thanks for the help i will try that out the next time i ride it. About the carbs it says to turn it on when its below 32 degress F. So thats what i have been doing. But when do you run it and whats the difference.
yamaharules

Postby yamaharules » January 21st, 2004, 1:28 pm

sledwrench,
What do you by i need to get used to it? I had a '95 V-max 6oo and it ran great from the beginning to the end, the reason i sold it was it was getting alot of miles on it. So i figured i would be a new one i went to michegan with it and i was imbarresed to drive by people with it cuz it sounded rough. But to me when i buy a new sled it should run great from the first pull. But after i get a mile on it, it runs great and sounds great i just cant wait for it to sound good when i start it up. Its at the shop right now and there trying to figure it out. Thanks for the help.
yamaharules

Postby chase9119 » January 21st, 2004, 1:53 pm

The carb heaters is a growing debate. I know my dealer told me to ignore the manual when it comes to that aspect. They say the only time you need to turn on the heaters is below 5 degrees F`. Or below 15 F` in powder or behind someone with some serious snow dust.
Reason being is you start to cause vapor lock and the engine will run super rough, expecially on a cold start up.?.
May or may not be your prob, I hope the shop gets you running well again! Let us know the findings.
2003 MXZ-Rev 600H.O. Sport, 1997 XC 600, 2002 CBR600F4i, 2001 SV650S, 1997 Polaris SL Waverunner
chase9119

Postby sledwrench » January 21st, 2004, 3:27 pm

Yamarules, just mean that every new sled starts different. Some like choke, some not. Once you find what the sled likes, you're on your way. It sounds like you have something else going on. Hope they find it.
sledwrench

Postby Burky » January 21st, 2004, 10:23 pm

Yeah, I am aware of the carb heater controversy, and I actually haven't had any reason to turn mine on. It has to be hyper cold, below 0 degrees or so, lots of snow dust in the air, or way out in very loose dry powder kicking up lots of it. I think the idea of the heaters is okay, but I haven't found any time when I need them so far. The one time I had them on, I didn't realize it was on, and I damn near wore out a socket wrench changing plugs that night, just after buying the sled. You do have to play with each sled and find it's own starting drill, it took me a while to find mine. But once I found it, I haven't fouled a single plug. Mine doesn't like to be left idling when it isn't fully warmed, and I don't do a major amount of idling at any time.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Postby InfiniteLimits88 » January 22nd, 2004, 1:19 pm

hey yama i have a 97' sx600r and i have the same problem...it doesnt happen every time i start it but when it does happen it seems like the sled has no power, hardly none...then when i shoot down the road to the trail it goes away...and i no i have warmed it up before i took off..it sounds like its bogging or drowning out intill i give it some throttle...after i get a couple miles on it, it runs great.
I start it on full choke...starts on 2 pulls..everytime. Ive checked my sled over and over but everything was the same....im so close of bringing it to the dealer..so any help from u guys would be great
InfiniteLimits88

Postby gerard143 » January 22nd, 2004, 5:49 pm

i have an 01 sx700r. until the motor gets warm it sorta feels a little bit like i fouled a plug.

these motors just need to warm up a little. no big deal in my opinion. one i get through the first field and get on the gas a little its fine.

i think they all do it.
gerard143

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum