Subscribe Today

Need an exploded view of .............................

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby UD LOSE » January 28th, 2004, 3:36 pm

a 340cc Yamaha engine. Somewhere in the early 80's. Can anyone help? I don't have comp. in the left cyl.. Oil doesn't give it compression either, so it must be in the reed valve??(if it has one)? Thanks, Mike
UD LOSE

Postby reelrazor » January 28th, 2004, 3:52 pm

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/products/categories.asp?lid=6&lc=sno

Pull down the menu from 'parts and service' and go to parts catalogs.That will open a new window, at the top left of that, under 'catalogs' select 'snowmobiles' and it will give you a tree on the left with years. You will have to start at 1980 and open all the 340 sleds. The first page on each will have the engine i.d. #. You will have to find the one that matches yours.

" Oil doesn't give it compression either, so it must be in the reed valve??(if it has one)? "

I don't believe Yamaha made a 340 in the 80's that HAD reed valves, but oiling a two stroke cylinder to see if it is rings or valves doesn't work on two strokes. You might have a broken ring, bad head gasket or a holed piston, hell, look in the hole...is the piston moving?
JGW

No substitutions for revolutions
reelrazor

Postby UD LOSE » January 28th, 2004, 4:18 pm

That's what I was looking for! Thanks! Now that I think about it, you are right about the "oil" trick. Hell, I should have known that! I am helping a friend out & he caught me after work. I told him to check some things out & he found no comp. on 1 cyl.. I will see if he tore it down tomorrow. Mike
UD LOSE

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum