Subscribe Today

GAS MILEAGE

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

GAS MILEAGE

Postby DAVOS99 » February 9th, 2004, 12:29 am

MY 91 MACH 1X RUNS GREAT BUT HAS ABOUT A 40 TO 50 MILE RANGE ON A FULL TANK OF GAS- 8 GALLONS. MY BUDDY'S '95 TRIPLE 700 RAN TWICE THE DISTANCE AS ME. IT SEEMS WAY OFF. I DON'T KNOW THE SLED'S TOTAL HISTORY BUT IT CAME WITH SOME CANADIAN DECALS THAT DESCRIBE IT AS A PACE SLED FOR SOME SERIES IN CANADA. I ORIGINALLY RAN THROUGHT HE CARBS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT IF THE JETTING AND NEEDLES WERE CORRECT BUT I CAN'T GET A DEALER TO GIVE ME THE ORIGINAL JET SIZES UNLESS I BUY THE PARTS, THEN I WILL FIND OUT. AM I IN THE BALL PARK FOR THE GAS MILEAGE? I'M NOT A RACER AND WOULD NOT MIND RESETTING IT UP WITH FACTORY SPECS TO GET SOME GAS MILEAGE OUT OF IT. ALSO AFTER TAKING OUT THE MOTOR, IT TURNS OUT THE PRIMARY CLUTCH IS A COUPLE OF MILLIMETERS OFF IN IT'S ALIGNMENT WITH THE SECONDARY CLUTCH. IT IS LEADING TO SOME QUICKER BELT WEAR AND BELT BEING GRABBED AT ABOUT 1000 RPM HIGHER THAN THE FACTORY SPECS,BUT I NEED TO BUY A COUPLE OF MORE RIDES THIS WINTER BEFORE I TEAR UP THE CLUTHES AND REPAIR A WORN BUSHING IN THE SECONDARY. I FIGURE THIS LEADS TO A LITTLE MORE GAS FOR THE RPM'S BUT HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH.
WATCH WHERE YOURE GOIN' AND REMEBER WHERE YOU'VE BEEN , THAT'S THE WAY I SEE IT, I'M A SIMPLE MAN.
DAVOS99

GAS MILEAGE

Postby CheeseSledder » February 9th, 2004, 3:48 am

Most modern sleds have no problem getting around 100 miles on a tank of gas. Just got back from a 540 mile trip with a 600XC, 700xc, SXR600, and a '94 670 Grand Touring and all of us were within a gallon of each other at the fuel stops, the 700 and 670 were always a gallon or so more thirsty.
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

GAS MILEAGE

Postby Thunderbox » February 9th, 2004, 9:36 am

That is not vey good range is it. You should be getting between 11 and 14 mpg imperial or about 8.5 and 11.8 mpg US. Could be a million things. I can tell you that my Yamaha Venture 600 gets about 140 miles on a tank. You should be getting no less than 100.
Thunderbox

GAS MILEAGE

Postby pasnowgoer » February 9th, 2004, 10:33 am

I have a 2003 Polaris XC SP 800 and I was getting 7.5 MPG. I had the dealer check it and found that a bushing in the primary clutch was bad. I am now getting 10 to 11 MPG. It sounds like you might be on the right track with checking the clutch.
pasnowgoer

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum