Subscribe Today

I'm looking to get a snowmobile...

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby Quizarate » August 5th, 2004, 2:50 pm

I've never ridden a snowmobile but I'm looking to get one for use on trails up in Maine. I'm looking to get something fast but cheap. There are 2 1998 Yamaha SRX700's, with trailer, that I'm looking at for $4500, and it seems like it might be a good deal. Anyone have any experiance with the SRX700?

I'd like to find something that will be good to learn on, but that I won't get bored with after 2 months. Any help and suggestions are appreciated.
Quizarate

Postby M10rules » August 5th, 2004, 2:58 pm

Go look at Z570s. They are a decent starter sled that does have some go to it. I would also recommend renting a snowmobile for a weekend before you do decided to buy to make sure you will like it. The 700s are not a newbie sled.
"Instruction manuals are nothing more than another man's opinion."
"Why would I lie to you, we're not married?"
M10rules

Postby Quizarate » August 5th, 2004, 3:04 pm

Thanks. I didn't even think about renting one, but that is probably a good idea.

As for the size, my first motorcycle was a Suzuki SV650. I'm a big guy, and just speaking from my experiance with that, after two months, I was ready for a bigger bike. Snowmobiles are probably very different, but I don't want to have to get a new one the next winter.
Quizarate

Postby 97Mach1 » August 6th, 2004, 3:41 am

The SRX is a very nice sled. As long as they are in pretty good condition for that price, you really can't go wrong. A friend bought a 98 SRX a couple years ago for $2000, and that was one heck of a deal.

Anyways, it's definately not a newbie sled, but as long as you don't go too crazy with the trigger for the first few rides, you should be OK. My first sled was a 1978 Arctic Cat Pantera 500 fan, had it for 1 season, and wanted more power. Bought my current sled, a 1997 Mach 1 700 triple/triple the next year, it's still definately got enough power for me. I was a little leary of getting such a big sled for my first "real" one, but don't regret it one bit.

Just make sure that you really want a 700 triple. The SRX is a "muscle" sled, it's going to do OK on the trails (if that's what kind of riding you will do), but there are a lot better sleds out there for trail riding.
[i]08 MXZ Renegade XP 800R[/i]
[b]There's Nothing Like It![/b]
97Mach1

Postby weantright » August 6th, 2004, 7:49 am

For your first sled I would go with a 500-550cc fan. You did not mention your age and weight. Maturity is a big part with sledding unlike riding on the road (no one police the trails). As for wanting more, you will always want more. But the tree or that other sled that jumps out if front of you will quickly remind you of the sleds power. Learn to ride a 500-550 fan then move up. Don't hurry to get a bigger sled just to have one. Most likely after a two years on a fan you will appreciate a bigger sled and now exactly which one you should get. Like everything else in life there is a learning curve. Fan cooled sleds are allot cheaper than bigger cc liquids. Learn to ride = knowing what to buy next, this will save you from many headaches. Just my $.02!

SRX are nice sleds but not for the newbie.
weantright

Postby YAMALARIS » August 6th, 2004, 7:58 am

I read where you stated that you are a big guy, as I am. I am 6'3" 240 pounds, and my first sled was in fact a 98 Yamaha 700. I had no problems learning to handle the sled, and soon grew into its "power" abilities. Since I have had 4 other 700's, and now ride a 2004 F7, and a 2003 ZR 900. I think if a person realizes that they should not just get on and rip then a 700 is a good starter sled, because like you say you won't get bored with it in a couple months.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/crashnmash/eastern.jpg[/img]
YAMALARIS

Postby T'NT340rider » August 6th, 2004, 9:25 am

I am 6" and 250lbs, I have ridden all my life, and I would never need anything bigger than a 500-600cc. If your on a tight budget, look at a used Ski-Doo legend 500F, good motor, great ride, and will do anything you need it to do, unless you race. Also look at the Z570, or any 440-600 fan cooled or liquid. Try each type of sled you think you may be interested in, then make your choice.
Proud member of the Carhartt Clan Vintage Snowmobile Club.

-I am a 315er, and proudly support the other 315ers at www.315er.net fight for Wayne County, Webster Sucks!!
T'NT340rider

Postby snodrifter » August 6th, 2004, 1:47 pm

I'm not a Yamaha man, BUT--I'd say if you ride within your limitations until AFTER you are good and used to it, you should be just fine. I believe that that model is a pretty good sled---the price sounds good, however, condition means everything.
snodrifter

Postby YAMALARIS » August 8th, 2004, 3:06 am

It's a lot like auto racing. When I started racing circle track I didn't put a 4 banger in my first car. I learned to handle the chevy 350. After a couple weeks of racing I started getting more and more comfortable with it, and now I still win with that car after 4 years.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/crashnmash/eastern.jpg[/img]
YAMALARIS

Postby proXpilot » August 8th, 2004, 5:07 am

i think $4,500 is a little steep for a 98, cuz you could prolly get an 02' for that
[url=http://www.syracuse.com/oneidalakecam/index.ssf/video]onieda lake live cam![/url]
[green]TAKE ME TO YOUR LEADER!!![/green]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/proxpilot/bobblehd218x218.gif[/IMG]
proXpilot

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum