Subscribe Today

Sealing the cold out on the snocross Helmets

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby pjsrevx600h.o » September 20th, 2004, 9:50 am

Ok ive always worn the mod helmet. But this will be my first year with a snocross helmet. Do you guys have any tricks of the trade on how to really seal the cold air out. Any like suggestions on good goggles, etc.. Anything would be appreciated.
How you Doo'IN. Bring on ole man Winter.
pjsrevx600h.o

Postby ChrisXCR » September 20th, 2004, 10:09 am

Get goggles that fit your helmet, try on a couple pair and look in a mirror. You don't want to see skin around the goggle. Also double lens goggles are a must. I wear oakleys with my Arai helmet.

Get a Ski Masque (trade name) at a ski shop. They are neoprene face masks and work awesome.

If your helmet is a motocross version you'll want to plug the vent hole in the front, I used black hockey tape and cut it to fit the front of my Arai. A snocross lid from say HJC will not need that.

The important is to keep your skin covered, if you have a leak durning a ride some well placed duct tape works wonders so try to keep a roll with you.

Once you figure out what you need you won't be able ride with a full face lid again. Even on really cold days.
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Postby nothinghead » September 20th, 2004, 10:14 am

PJ what kind of helmet is it? (brand/model)
nothinghead

Postby pjsrevx600h.o » September 20th, 2004, 11:09 am

Its an HJC CL-X4 helmet i have spy goggles right now from snowboarding but they dont fit the helmet. So any good goggles for a reasonable price would be appreciated thanks a ton.
How you Doo'IN. Bring on ole man Winter.
pjsrevx600h.o

Postby ChrisXCR » September 20th, 2004, 11:40 am

Friends of mine where the HJC, they wear scott goggles and they like them alot.
:p

For sale:
'01 [red]Pro[/red][blue]X[/blue]600

[b]REV 440 #600[/b]
ChrisXCR

Postby leelanaumotorsports » September 20th, 2004, 12:07 pm

I wear the HJC with Scott goggles with the nose guard! The nose gaurd helps alot trust me I forgot it once and have the scar from frost bite. On really cold days unless you are racing WEAR YOUR NORMAL HELEMT !! The moto-cross/sno-cross lids are great for better visibility and if worn right they do not fog up as much if at all. But it is just not worth it when it gets down below 0 if you are not racing!
[b]Ride Hard, Ride Safe.[b]
leelanaumotorsports

Postby MAGNYS » September 20th, 2004, 12:30 pm

ditto what CHRIS XCR said except plug the holes w/ duct tape (looks cooler) i have oakleys (57.00) they work awesome, 2 years, zero fog!
Theres nothing like a shorn scrotum, it`s breathtaking I suggest you try it.
MAGNYS

Postby mnsnowboy » September 20th, 2004, 12:43 pm

PJ- I have the EXACT SAME helmet. I wear the breathguard across the top of my nose and I have never had a problem. I wear Smith Cariboo Airflow goggs and have never had them fog except for when I am sweating and come to a stop....the the warm air gets in there. But you shouldn't have a problem otherwise!

-sb
Kick ass!

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/rocking.gif[/IMG] [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/hellyeahFireIcon.gif[/IMG][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/mnsnowboy/bobZilla.gif height=90 width=20[/img]
mnsnowboy

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum