Subscribe Today

What width of trailer for 2 polaris machines??

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby arleen » November 8th, 2004, 1:28 pm

Hi,
We bought a used 98 Polaris Indy Trail Touring and a 98 Polaris Indy XLT touring last March.

Specs say they both have a "Track Width" of "15x133.5x.82"

There is another spec that says "Sled Width" is 46.5" for the Trail Touring and 48" for the XLT touring.

All I want to know is what width of a trailer do I need to trail both sleds at once? A double wide, in other words.

Is the "Sled Width" the measurement I need?

So do I need about an 8' wide trailer???

Thanks for any info!
Cheers!
Arleen
Arleen Greenwood
arleen

Postby Burky » November 8th, 2004, 1:54 pm

Almost all later model trailers are either 8 foot or 8 1/2 foot wide. The 8 foot will work for your sleds, and the 8.5 gives you a little more room for bringing them on. You need to look at a few other things before getting a trailer, such as covered or open, metal or composite cover, drive on/off or unload from the rear. Steel or aluminum frame, what type of clamps/tiedowns you want to use, and a few other things like that. Will you be storing the sleds in it over summer, or putting the trailer in a garage. All things to consider. You also need to match the trailer type to the tow vehicle you plan on using. You may as well buy the trailer you really want the first time, rather than go through a couple of them as a learning experience. Find a good dealer and look around to decide what you want for one. Hope this helps.
If you are in the ditch, upside down, and the sled's on top of you, you are doing something wrong.....
Burky

Postby arleen » November 9th, 2004, 2:13 am

Thank you so much for the very complete answer. We are not going to be trailing the sleds a lot, as we only intend to use them to traverse about 6 miles of Georgian Bay to get to our cottage in the winter. Sleds will be stored at our Marina where our boat is.

We just want to get a used trailer to haul them from where we bought them to our marina, about a 2.5 hour drive. Of course you never know, we may just like this snowmobiling thing so much that we decide to do some here at home too!

Thanks again for your very helpful input.

Cheers!
Arleen Greenwood
arleen

Postby craze1cars » November 9th, 2004, 8:52 am

FYI, you can still buy very inexpensive, dedicated all-steel snowmobile trailers for around $750 ot $800 brand new. (US dollars) Upgrade to aluminum and you'll be around $1,000 to $1,100 new for a basic one. Standard width of today's snowmbile trailers is usually 100 to 102 inches, which is about 8.5 feet. Your 2 Polaris's will take just about every inch of that, so I personally don't think an older 8 foot trailer will be wide enought to do the job very well without one ski hanging over the edge, or turning one backwards (a real pain).

For what it's worth, if you can come up with $1K, I'd suck it up and just buy a brand new aluminum one. A decent used trailer will be hard to find, might save you $200 or $300, but will have some notable wear on the bearings, tires, and wiring. If you find a used steel trailer, it will be VERY rusty. They don't last long in their salty environment, and are basically disposable. I'd just throw out the extra cash just for the piece of mind and convenience of having a new one.

Hope this info helps. Enjoy your sleds!
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Postby CheeseSledder » November 9th, 2004, 10:11 am

I agree, buy a 102" wide aluminum either new or only a couple of years old. You'll still be able to sell it when you decide to get rid of it. I would also opt for drive-on, drive-off instead of a tilt.
[blue]Yup, I seen dem Ely boys smokin crack over dere in da Bdubber, an one of em was whackin it. [/blue]:B
CheeseSledder

Postby craze1cars » November 9th, 2004, 10:15 am

I personally like my 2-place tilter. No ramp to lug around, and a little cheaper. Then again, I still have a good back and don't mind dragging 'em off backwards. Just had to install ski glides to keep the carbides from biting in. I do agree that the drive-off's have their benefits, especially if you don't have reverse and don't like to drag sleds.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum