Subscribe Today

Need good advice on day trips in the Wisconsin Northwoods

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby IRACECHEVYS » November 11th, 2004, 11:04 am

Please help, I want to plan a few day trips (around 150 miles) in and around the Tomahawk and Rhinelander, Wisconsin area. I'm looking for good places to eat, sleep and play. Any and all information would be appriciated.
Thanks everyone.
IRACECHEVYS

Postby sledhead84 » November 11th, 2004, 11:10 am

First off, travel the extra hour up to Eagle River/St. Germain area. The trails are really nice up there (not that they aren't nice in Tomahawk). Also, the signing on the trails up there is AWESOME.

From this area, you have day trip access to the UP, and with that comes hundreds of miles of great trails. Places to stop are endless whether you want bars, restaurants, or just need gas.

I am in Bloomingdale, IL just about 20 mins form you. We should take a ride this winter if you are ever up there.
sledhead84
2003 F7 EFI Arctic Cat
2002 Arctic Cat ZL 600 EFI SS
sledhead84

Postby sledhead84 » November 11th, 2004, 8:03 pm

What type of sled do you ride?
sledhead84
2003 F7 EFI Arctic Cat
sledhead84

Postby IRACECHEVYS » November 12th, 2004, 9:57 am

I ride an 2002 Artic Cat Pantera 600 EFI and my brother rides a
1994 Yamaha(haha)Venture. We also have a 1984 Yamaha(haha) Phazer.
IRACECHEVYS

Postby IRACECHEVYS » November 12th, 2004, 10:01 am

Taking a ride together sounds good. I'm not sure when we'll be up there. Let's keep in touch, My family and I are kind of new to snowmobiling (just a few years now) so were always looking to make new friends.
IRACECHEVYS

Postby MM700 » November 12th, 2004, 1:30 pm

I Totally disagree with Eagle River/St Germain....but it depends when you will be there...on a weekend...I would never go to those areas...Tomahawk is a much better choice..less traffic, and good trails...if you really want to put some miles on in a scenic area..head west from Tomahawk to tripoli...then go north through the Pier/Willow Region...to Pike Lake...from there you can loop back through Phillips, and back to Tomahawk, or head east to Minocqua, then back south....I absolutely love the Sayner/Star Lake areas, very scenic...but lots of knuckleheads, going way to fast blowing corners..over all lots of traffic on the weekend....try those areas wednesday thru friday (same with St Germain/Eagle River)....another really nice area during the week is Three Lakes/Sugar Camp....if you really want to avoid some traffic on a weekend, I suggest (again) west of Tomahawk, Price county, northern Forest county, and Florence counties...they are very rural areas, not many pit stops...thus the lazy riders don't ride in those areas...the best tip I can give you is to look for routes that don't have many bars on the trails...less riders, and or drinkmobilers.
MM700

Postby sledhead84 » November 12th, 2004, 5:21 pm

MM700, you are right there is/can be alot of traffic in the St. Germain Area. BUT I also think that they know how to take care of the trails much better than some other areas.

I should note, that the majority of our riding is done later at night, so there isn't usually much traffic out anyways.

Will also agree that less bars=less rider=better trails.

I mainly like the St. Germain area trails because
-good signing
-good grooming when there is snow
-I have rode this area all of my life so I know the good/bad areas
-THIS IS WHERE MY HOUSE IS AT!!! FREE LODGING!!!:)
sledhead84
2003 F7 EFI Arctic Cat
sledhead84

Postby MM700 » November 13th, 2004, 6:27 am

Ah...Ic....where are u located up there???....My folks live in LDF (about 12 miles west of minocqua)...I grew up riding minocqua, Tomahawk, and LDF trails...been riding them for 20 plus years...Riggs has a place in Mercer, Vipertrails has a place on Squirrel Lake, lots of trashers to ride with in this area...we should all get together for a weekend ride this winter.
MM700

Postby IRACECHEVYS » November 13th, 2004, 6:54 am

Thanks for the great info. If you can think of any place in particular which is especially scenic, the family photog would appriciate it. (so would I, it would keep her from complaining it's too cold)
IRACECHEVYS

Postby sledhead84 » November 13th, 2004, 8:19 am

Some place scenic? That is tough......um, try this:

Take any trail that heads out of any North Woods town and heads for the trees. Everything up there is scenic. On many trails you will find creek and damn crossings, which look especially cool with the snow/ice/flowing/water.
sledhead84
2003 F7 EFI Arctic Cat
sledhead84

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum