Subscribe Today

Track wear.

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Track wear.

Postby LoKey » December 23rd, 2004, 1:58 am

What are the doo's and don't to prolonging the life of your track? I've noticed some people go through track's like they're Tic-Tac's. On the other side of the coin my wifes track looks as good as the day she got it, and that was 6600kms ago.

She's not an aggressive drive, but still. 6600kms and no wear? Is it because of her weight at 120lbs? Can studs play a factor?

Excessive spinning in poor conditions is obvious one. But how about on snow? Too many factors to list
[IMG]http://www.freephotoserver.com/files/img33723907_48855385.jpg[/IMG]
LoKey

Track wear.

Postby slickest » December 23rd, 2004, 2:05 am

1. DONT EVA spin out, even in snow. My cat's track is 35 years old, and works perfectly!!!!!!! (you may spin out a few time, that's ok)
2. Do: Replace cleats, and CLEAN THEM OFF AS WELL AS THE TRACK!!
3. NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER EVER GO OVER ROCKS!!!!!!!!
4. If you go fast, AVOID SHARP TURNS!!!!!!!!!
THATS ALL!
DU BIST SEHR BLURT!!!!!!!! ICH HASSE DU........ ABER, BITTE SHNELL! ACH SNELL MIT MEIN BLUMENGARTEN!!!!!!!! ICH LIEBE DU NICHST, ABER INS KINO MIT DU GEHEN AM MONTAG!!!!!!!

Meine Grossvater was diesed Kawasaki fonier.
slickest

Track wear.

Postby craze1cars » December 23rd, 2004, 3:56 am

There are 2 primary causes of tracks failing early. Spinning the track in low snow conditions will tear off lugs. And outdoor summer storage causes dry-rot which greatly weakens the track. Keep it elevated and indoors over the summer....sunlight is the #1 enemy in summer storage, even indirect sunlight. Most people who replace tracks frequently are either very aggressive track spinners or store their sleds outdoors in summer.

I'm just replacing one of my tracks now, mostly just for fun and upgrade. This track has well over 13,000 KM's on it and it's probably only about at it's half life.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Track wear.

Postby jpiler » December 23rd, 2004, 4:50 am

I see quiet a few tracks that are damaged on the inside drive lugs.This is caused by running the track too loose or badly misaligned.When you hit the brakes the track rolls forward like wave on the lake.If your track is loose enough it will ride up on top of the front axle drivers and tear them.
jpiler

Track wear.

Postby akxtreme » December 24th, 2004, 4:41 am

Kawasaki4 made a comment about replacing track lugs. I have a 2in X 144" track with a few cracked lugs. Other than that its in excellent shape. I am curious if there is any way to save them, or how would I go about repairing/replacing them? Any suggestions?
[red][b][u]AKXtreme[/u][/b][/red]
[blue]01 800RMK[/blue] / [green]02 500Mtncat[/green]
[url=http://www.geocities.com/pipeline/ridge/1704]www.geocities.com/pipeline/ridge/1704[/url]
akxtreme

Track wear.

Postby that 31 car » December 24th, 2004, 5:18 am

I believe he was referring to cleats as in steel bars that ran accrss the track on older sleds. You can however have torn areas vulcanized on rubber tracks, to repair some problems but not all. In Wisconsin there is a good vendor for this in St.Anne I believe. I will try to find his number if you need him. But you may have a local vendor also.
that 31 car

Track wear.

Postby akxtreme » December 24th, 2004, 8:29 am

OH yeah, Good call on the cleats. I live in Colorado, so someone in WI probably won't do me a lot of good until summer when I could send them the track, and if I am going to the trouble to take it off, I would just get a newer, longer track anyway. I will look around the area and see what I can find. Thanks for the tip, I have been asking around and no one can give me an answer about getting your track fixed before the lugs actually do breakoff.
[red][b][u]AKXtreme[/u][/b][/red]
[blue]01 800RMK[/blue] / [green]02 500Mtncat[/green]
[url=http://www.geocities.com/pipeline/ridge/1704]www.geocities.com/pipeline/ridge/1704[/url]
akxtreme

Track wear.

Postby FreezurBurnt » December 24th, 2004, 3:09 pm

my track has 15,700+km

Still looks in great condition

Oh ya my sled is outside all year round,though not in direct sun

it is called not riding on snirt 90% of the time and roosting on rocks:W

Yet I have seen sleds with less than a thousand klicks with lugs ripped or track torn
[b]ride Chelmsford,Northern Ont. area[/b]

[img]http://www.s-seriesforum.com/forum/images/smilies/bowdown.gif[/img][img]https://www.snowgoer.com/SharedContent/cfb/memberphotos/3793/rig/my%20truck%20driver%20side%20neg.jpg[/img]
[green][b][i]01 ZR 600 early release[/b][/i][/green]
FreezurBurnt

Track wear.

Postby craze1cars » December 26th, 2004, 9:07 am

Tracks can be repaired, not just cleats. Actual lugs can be replaced. Not sure how economical it is, but there's a number of sources that handle it. Here's a website:

http://www.carrolltech.com/snowmobile_track_repair.htm
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Track wear.

Postby St. Zenon Zero » December 26th, 2004, 10:23 am

Just sold a 1998 Polaris XLT Special with 13975 miles on it. ORIGINAL TRACK and it still looks great. All miles in Quebec Canada on good groomed snow. If you rock ride they will not last long. If there's NO snow, don't ride !!!
St. Zenon Zero

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum