Subscribe Today

more ski pressure

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

more ski pressure

Postby the blur » December 23rd, 2004, 8:58 am

how do you increase ski pressure?
most say tighten the front springs.

however, my thinking is if you loosen the front springs, the engine will be pushing down on the skids more, causing more ski pressure???

I don't know...
I'm confused....
the blur

more ski pressure

Postby jpiler » December 23rd, 2004, 9:26 am

Course adjustment for more ski pressure is done by tightening the limiter strap.Fine adjustment to increase ski pressure is done by increasing front shock spring pressure (Preload).
jpiler

more ski pressure

Postby St. Zenon Zero » December 26th, 2004, 10:29 am

The guy ahead of me is correct. Shorten the limiter strap for more ski pressure, but remember, A LITTLE ADJUSTMENT DOES A LOT !!!!
St. Zenon Zero

more ski pressure

Postby DooSki7c » December 27th, 2004, 12:55 am

Yeah i was gonna say. If it's a ski-doo rev...only shorten the limiter strap one hole...and if you are gonna do that...i'd stick with the intense carbides and not the xtremes...
DooSki7c

more ski pressure

Postby the blur » December 27th, 2004, 1:36 am

this polaris sled has front- rear sissor blocks that affect ski pressure.
but on this X-12 suspension, the rears are not adjustable.
the blur

more ski pressure

Postby gregxcsp » December 27th, 2004, 3:18 am

On the Polaris adjusting the scissor blocks will help handling, on mine I set the blocks to the highest settings, and more spring pressure does seems to give it more bite up front.
[b]Gregxcsp[/b]
gregxcsp

more ski pressure

Postby gregxcsp » December 27th, 2004, 3:25 am

Sorry, mine has an Edge chassis not an Extra-12 it might not have the same result.
[b]Gregxcsp[/b]
gregxcsp

more ski pressure

Postby the blur » December 27th, 2004, 3:46 am

there are so many adjustments...
it's easier to set up a race car properly.

I pulled off my skis, and the rubber blocks sit in an aluminum "block"... and the alumimum block was bent, and obviously the rubber block was not held in securely, so I'm sure the ski was floating around some, contributing to my darting problem.

By the time I set up this suspension precisly, it'll be time to upgrade sleds !!
the blur

more ski pressure

Postby gregxcsp » December 27th, 2004, 6:05 am

I looked in my Polaris service manual and for the Extra-12 the scissor blocks are adjustable when you loosen the allen head bolts that hold them in and the manual said for more ski pressure set the front scissor block to the low setting and increase front spring pressure on the front shocks. The front shock preload in the rear skid will also affect ski pressure. Hope this will help you.
[b]Gregxcsp[/b]
gregxcsp

more ski pressure

Postby flylake » December 27th, 2004, 6:48 am

[quote]there are so many adjustments...
it's easier to set up a race car properly.

I pulled off my skis, and the rubber blocks sit in an aluminum "block"... and the alumimum block was bent, and obviously the rubber block was not held in securely, so I'm sure the ski was floating around some, contributing to my darting problem.

By the time I set up this suspension precisly, it'll be time to upgrade sleds !![/quote]

Tell me about it - I can set up a stock car or sprint car chassis easier than my sleds. I keep chasing setups on these things - might just have to start from scratch next summer and build a new suspension. You guys are talking new sleds, all mine are 12+ years old, so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it.
always looking for old sleds, bikes, quads, tractors, etc to rebuild.... free ones are best.
flylake

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum