Subscribe Today

95 Mountain Cat Non EFI - No Spark - No go!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby crestman » January 24th, 2005, 2:59 am

Hello all,

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this situation.

First off, the machine was just purchased in spring so I don't know it that well. On my first run out I discovered I couldn't get the machine to do more than about 60mph!...It felt and sounded as though it wasn't running on all cylinders. After checking plugs and all the other "normal" checks one can do, I took it into the shop. After re-jetting and a total rework of the carbs, new plugs, secondary clutch and some other goodies the problem still exists. Only now there's more, It seems now I loose ALL spark and it just quits. Then, you have to wait sometimes a few hours before it will start again. This has led me to thinking the following:

Bad plugs = No
Bad plug wires = No
Bad flywheel = No
Bad Stater = ?
Bad Timing sensor = ?
Bad CDI = ?
Bad Coils = ?

After ripping the old girl apart, I have found the wires from the CDI (right before the connections) to be "nicked" as to someone getting to the bare wire to check. I will get this fixed, but can anyone out there shed any light on this? Is there any more info I can supply to help?

Thanks
crestman

Postby rabeb25 » January 24th, 2005, 3:33 am

Sounds like a typical stator problem, my sled did the same then just quit starting all together.
rabeb25

Postby Pantera » January 24th, 2005, 6:25 am

Could be a bad coil on the stator. If you provide the exact sled model and engine size I may have that Service manual at home to give you the ohmeter readings and wire colors for you to test w/o pulling anything apart. Unfortunately the symptom you provided would lean towards the secondary ignition coil that quits when 'hot' and the ohmeter test does not work well for that condition. But if the others test out fine then you are working the list down. Nothing worse than tearing the mag side of the engine down only to find out it was the external ignition coil or the CDI.
Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby crestman » January 24th, 2005, 6:46 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

The actual model is a 94 Thundercat Mountain Cat 900cc non EFI. I posted in the subject 95, however I was mistaken. I'm going to have the Cat dealer here run some tests, but that would be great if you could supply me with the info to test with.

BTW, I can't get the bugger going at all now. This old girl sure is biatchy!

Thanks
crestman

Postby Pantera » January 25th, 2005, 7:08 am

I try to remember to look that up for ya tonight.

Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby lippy92 » January 25th, 2005, 11:22 am

i just replaced a cdi box on my sled because it lost spark so my best advice...yur cdi box s_h_i_t the bed
a/c ext 92 tuned pipes dual card 550....just as fast as my 94 wildcat efi
lippy92

Postby crestman » January 26th, 2005, 4:13 am

Yuppers!!...New CDI on order.

Thanks for the replies guys!

L8r
crestman

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum