Subscribe Today

Rant on loud pipes, keep 'em off the trails!

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby craze1cars » February 17th, 2005, 1:59 am

Funny story:

I was snowmobiling with a group near Newberry, MI last week, topping off with fuel at a VERY busy gas station with sleds, cars, people everywhere, lines for the pumps. Then 2 sleds pull in with pipes that would make your ears bleed. All conversations stopped (impossible anyway), and you could see the entire place just glaring at these two sleds that were too stupid/oblivious to even shut them down while they were idling waiting their turn at a pump. They even brapped their throttles a few time since they seemed to like the attention.

FINALLY, an elderly lady (non-snowmobiler, or maybe ex-snowmobiler) who was filling her car hung up her pump, walked very slowly with her cane about 50 feet over to these two people, rapped her cane on both their kill switches to shut them down, and proceeded to yell them the riot act. Swinging her cane through the air yelling things about how stupid and inconsiderate they were, she was gonna call the cops, those things should be illegal, etc, etc etc. The two sledders were dumfounded and didn't say anything. I'm sure if I were to try to do what she did I'd end up starting a fight...but waddayado when it's an old lady with a cane?!

So the old lady finishes up her speach and starts walking back to her car, and the ENTIRE GAS STATION ERUPTS IN APPLAUSE! Sledders and non-sledders alike. Many other sledders approached the lady and thanked her for saying what needed to be said, apologized on behalf of the morons, and helped her back to her car. She was smiling and grateful and said thank you for bringing so much business and economic support to her small community but we should all band together and get the loud sleds banned from the trails.

Several agreed with the lady that they'd do so. A few other sledders approached the loud sled and I feared a fight was going to start...but I'm proud to say it all stayed clean and professional. They just walked up with pen/paper, wrote down registration numbers/sled descriptions of the loud sleds, and informed the owners that they were going to give the info to the police so they could try to make their vacation miserable. Good idea, I thought.

So now that's my practice: If you have a sled that I feel is too loud and I see you walk into a bar/gas station/motel room. I'll wait till you're out of sight and I'll "admire" your sled without touching it, and just write down your registration number, location, and sled description and quietly report it to the police and/or DNR at my earliest opportunity. So now the cops are actually looking for you and everyone in your group, and they're not just stumbling on you by chance. My goal is to ruin your ride because of your noise level. And I will not stop until my goal is accomplished. This is not a game of specific decibles/laws/rules, it's a game of common sense. If your sled is so loud that everyone stares at you, it's too loud.

SPREAD THE WORD. LOUD PIPES CLOSE TRAILS. REPORT THEM to the authorities, turn up the pressure on them, and lets get them off the trails permanantly. Make rules in snowmobile clubs banning loud pipes. Refuse to ride with people who have them. Write to the snowmobile magazines and manufacturers that we want quieter sleds. People who have loud pipes are NOT true snowmobilers. Let's let them know what true snowmobilers think about them.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Postby mach1snowman » February 17th, 2005, 2:13 am

I agree. Loud pipes suck!!! A few years ago I bought a sled that had the can cut and gutted for "performance gain". Well it didn't take me long to change the can back to a stock one because of the noise level. I couldn't ride it as was bought without earplugs in. And I work road const. and have some hearing loss, so I know it was loud. I would like to see loud pipes banned. When I riding my sled on the trail and can HEAR you coming up on me, it is too damn loud.
mach1snowman

Postby jpiler » February 17th, 2005, 4:11 am

Agreed,loud pipes belong at the races,NOT on the trails.
jpiler

Postby MAGNYS » February 17th, 2005, 4:27 am

"So now that's my practice: If you have a sled that I feel is too loud and I see you walk into a bar/gas station/motel room. I'll wait till you're out of sight and I'll "admire" your sled without touching it, and just write down your registration number, location, and sled description and quietly report it to the police and/or DNR at my earliest opportunity. So now the cops are actually looking for you and everyone in your group, and they're not just stumbling on you by chance. My goal is to ruin your ride because of your noise level. And I will not stop until my goal is accomplished. This is not a game of specific decibles/laws/rules, it's a game of common sense. If your sled is so loud that everyone stares at you, it's too loud."

so now "you" decide what`s good and bad!
where was i when you got voted king?
how about harassing the drinkers in the bar?
thats ok because you do it right? "it`s only a couple of beers"
i`ve never heard of a loud pipe killing someone else have you?
i agree some sleds are too loud but isn`t drunks on the trail a little more disturbing?
Theres nothing like a shorn scrotum, it`s breathtaking I suggest you try it.
MAGNYS

Postby craze1cars » February 17th, 2005, 4:55 am

[quote
how about harassing the drinkers in the bar?
thats ok because you do it right? "it`s only a couple of beers"
i`ve never heard of a loud pipe killing someone else have you?
i agree some sleds are too loud but isn`t drunks on the trail a little more disturbing?[/quote]

Absolutely drunks are more disturbing/dangerous. I never drink any alcohol until my sled's parked for the evening. And I have called the police in the past to report suspected drunks on the trail.

I don't decide what's right or wrong for the general public, that's up to the lawmakers and police/DNR enforce them. But if I suspect a violation (drinking, or noise...both have printed legal limits in MI), I do take it on myself to report it. The authorities then decide if it's worth investigating further.

craze1cars

Postby dheard4992 » February 17th, 2005, 5:58 am

I have to agree,at one time I had a can on my formula z 10 years ago and thankfully I wisened up.When I pass by houses sometimes 30 feet from them I dont want them to regret letting me cut through there property as without all of the easements that property owners give the trail network in the U.P. wouldnt be much.
dheard4992

Postby Yoo » February 17th, 2005, 6:43 am

craze1...living in the UP and having the main trail go right next to my yard, I have always wanted to have the courage to do what the little lady in my fellow UP community of Newberry did. I also want to commend you for your plan of action. Being in business and a main promoter of getting people to come to our County and Community of Ontonagon, I have to say that I don't know the way to politely tell those spending money in our area when the sleds they have are simply to loud. Not to mention that I run the MASTERS Circuit and many of my best friends are racers. Admittedly, hypocritically speaking, what it is going to take is peer pressure. When fellow snowmobilers are offended and not impressed by those with the loud pipes, I think you will see fewer put those pipes on. After numerous interviews with Aftermarket pipe business's, each will say that the 'sound' of the pipe is not what generates the additional horsepower a trail rider will notice. So those that put these pipes on are not doing it for performance, they are simply doing it to get noticed. If they want to get noticed, let's make sure the rest of us notice how ignorant they really are.
I also agree 110% on the drinking, but that is a whole different subject. Thanks again for the post!
By the way, visit the Western UP. We'd love to have you as our guest!

Skip
Yoo

Postby Pantera » February 17th, 2005, 6:44 am

Great story craze1cars!!! I will have to remember to have a pen & paper in my jacket for those special ocassions.

Loud pipes, close trails.

Pantera
Snowmobile the America that others pass by....
Pantera

Postby craze1cars » February 17th, 2005, 6:51 am

Yoo, the western UP is generally my most frequent haunt when I can't find the time/money to get to Wyoming (mountain riding is still my true love.) Been to Western UP area at least once a year (usually more) for almost 30 years now. Will be heading to Watersmeet area again in early March.

Let me clarify my rant for everyone's benefit. I'm not against all aftermarket exhaust. Some of them are tastefully done and are not much louder than stock. But many are. And those who simply gut their cans out for the sake of more noise are probably the true violators I'm after here. Just want to make it clear I'm not out to "get" people. But if your sled is the one that stops conversations in a crowded parking lot then you're WAY out of line...and if I hear it I will make efforts to report it...

Incidentally, I also posted this identical topic on the forum at Snowmobileworld.com and it's a seriously heated debate over there, about 30 posts in the first 6 hours this morning with little signs of slowing down. Somewhat entertaining...

Peace.

craze1cars

Postby MAGNYS » February 17th, 2005, 7:54 am

hey craze, just curious did the law do anything when you called about the drunks?
i personally would like to see random check points on the trails.
especially on weekends!
at least more enforcement.
Theres nothing like a shorn scrotum, it`s breathtaking I suggest you try it.
MAGNYS

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum