Subscribe Today

Why does my Polaris smoke so much?

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

Postby TimWhite » February 23rd, 2005, 5:41 am

OK guys, this is a gal that doesn't know a darn thing about engines, so don't get to technical on me here. My 2000 Polaris Classic 500 smokes terrible. Trying to talk the hubby into getting a Yamaha 4-stroke, but he wants to wait and see if Polaris will come out with a 4-stroke. In the meantime, what can we do about all the smoke. We changed over to burning the Polaris Synthetic oil, but that didn't make a big difference. What do you suggest?
TimWhite

Postby snake321 » February 23rd, 2005, 6:16 am

put an oscillating fan on the dash...
[img]http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2004-11/883775/smallsnake.gif[/img]
snake321

Postby xcsp » February 23rd, 2005, 6:35 am

Is it just at start-up or all the time that it smokes excessively? Does it seem to use alot of oil? May want to check to see that the oil pump is set correctly. I switched from Polaris synthetic to Amsoil Interceptor injection oil, seems to be much cleaner burning!

Getting the Yamaha 4-stroke is a great idea! Wouldn't mind one myself! Vector with fuel injection would be nice-too bad they only have it on the 4 cylinder models for '06.
xcsp

Postby Yoo » February 23rd, 2005, 6:37 am

I got my wife a Venture RS 4-Stroke. This is one of the many things she likes about the sled, no smoke. I have also switched to the Amsoil on my 2 stroke. Helped somewhat, but it's no 4-stroke!
Yoo

Postby jpiler » February 23rd, 2005, 6:40 am

there are alignment marks on the oil pump lever and the oil pump body these marks should line up when the throttle is in the idle position.The oil pump is located below the carbs and the carbs and airbox will need to be removed to make the adjustment.the adjuster is right where the cable mounts to the oil pump.
jpiler

Postby Skiduders » February 23rd, 2005, 7:17 am

Could just be running rich.
Skiduders

Postby RXL-XC7-RIDER » February 23rd, 2005, 7:55 am

i Have no smoke at all with running the VES II, ????
[img]http://img74.exs.cx/img74/930/March-LittleValley003.jpg height=338 width=450[/img]

WILL TRAVEL FOR SNOW!!!
RXL-XC7-RIDER

Postby Gobigorgohome » February 23rd, 2005, 12:29 pm

[quote]i Have no smoke at all with running the VES II, ????[/quote
i find that hard to believe. i never seen a two-stroke yet, that does not smoke.
[img]http://img113.exs.cx/img113/9129/variouspictures3626kc.jpg height=100 width=150[/img]
Gobigorgohome

Postby Yoo » February 24th, 2005, 5:18 am

No smoke at all...running a 2 Stoke? Hmmmm
The VES is in the Blue Jug right, and it is a 2 stroke oil, right? No smoke? Maybe start the engine.
Yoo

Postby craze1cars » February 24th, 2005, 5:40 am

I've found that Polaris's seem to smoke a lot more than some of the other brands, likely because they seem to be factory calibrated to burn a lot more oil. My cousin's 03 500 XCSP burns about twice the oil all the rest of our group's Ski-Doos use. And before he had that, his 96 XLT did the same thing. I always notice the difference when I'm following a Polaris because the smell is much more noticable.

This is not a Poo bash and not based on anything more than my observations over the years. Frankly, I'm sick of the smoke from ALL the two strokes, even from my relatively frugal oil-sipping synthetic burning Doos. Yamaha is looking better all the time to me...and I've never been a big Yami fan. Their new models for '06 look outstanding! I'm predicting that their '06 line is gonna take the industry by storm much like the Doo's REV platform did in '03.
Body Armor SAVES LIVES!!!
COURTESY on the trails is CONTAGIOUS!!! Slow down EARLY for oncoming sleds!!!
ONLY pass from behind when signaled to do so!!!

THEN.....and only then...RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!!
craze1cars

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum