Subscribe Today

four stroke oil change

The general snowmobiling discussion. Discuss snowmobile tech, ask about trail conditions, talk about snowmobiling issues, whatever. Just keep it clean!

four stroke oil change

Postby versatilleZ » March 15th, 2005, 2:31 pm

Had the opportunity to test ride Yamaha fourstrokes this weekend, and would very much like to own one. My friend has just told me that he's heard that to have an oil change done at a dealer is $350! His informant also said that he did his own in 7 hours!!! Can this be true? I can not believe it if it is.
versatilleZ

four stroke oil change

Postby xcsp » March 15th, 2005, 3:38 pm

$350 for an oil change on a Yamaha 4-stroke, yeah! I would say they must have had more than an oil change for that money or they are stupid.

A salesman I spoke with who owns an RX1 and a Vector said to figure about an hour for an oil change, and that is taking his time, at least that's what he said. No way in heck can it take 7 hours-was this a joke?
xcsp

four stroke oil change

Postby bleedinblue » March 15th, 2005, 6:38 pm

Not true not true at all. Your buddy got screwed,and must be the dumbest non-mechanically inclined person that rides sleds there is. $80 no more, which is still pricey, but only has to be done once a season unless he rides an awful lot{5000 miles} a year. Although they are not maintenance free, they are in my experience, less cost to maintain than most 2-strokes. I'm fairly certain you would not regret the purchase of a 4-stroke sled.
Bleedinblue[blue][/blue]
bleedinblue

four stroke oil change

Postby kenlacy » March 16th, 2005, 3:55 am

Easy DIY - for the oil change - pop the bottom panel (5 screws), put your drain pan under there, open up the dipstick, unscrew the cap on top of the engine, open the drain bolt on the bottom of the sled. Take off the side panel (6 screws) and open up the drain bolt on the bottom of the reserve tank and let both areas drain. Tighten back up the drain bolts when empty - fill with oil and put panels back on.

If you have to do the filter (500 miles - then every few years) - that is a bit more work. Have to pull the airbox, battery and battery bracket - remove filter and put the new one on. Filters are $11.

Took me an hour in pogue mode the first time I did mine a few weeks ago. That included the filter. Most of the time is just waiting for it to drain and cleaning up the mess when I took the filter off and spilled a bunch of oil in the belly.
Recently I was asked to play in a golf tournament.

At first I said, "Naw, I haven't been playing that well."

Then they said to me, "Come on, it's for handicapped and blind kids."

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

four stroke oil change

Postby snoxraceteam » March 16th, 2005, 4:11 am

We (hahaha, I guess I should say my husband) have done 4 oil changes this year at about $25 a pop with the filter and about $13 without the filter! You only change the filter at 1000 miles and then every 12,000 miles thereafter. We have put on about 9000 miles this year between our two warriors, so we have only changed the filters once on each sled. It takes my husband about 15 minutes to change the filter and oil and about 5 minutes if he doesn't change the filter.

ken, Rick lays paper towels under the filter in the belly pan to catch the oil that spills.
[b]"Never argue with an idiot - they'll just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience..." [/b]
snoxraceteam

four stroke oil change

Postby cory49 » March 17th, 2005, 3:28 am

But when changing the oil, you have to run it for awhile. Go for a ride and come back. It makes the oil nice and runny. It makes it alot easier.

Cory
[b]Sledless[/b]
cory49

four stroke oil change

Postby kenlacy » March 17th, 2005, 4:04 am

Yes - that will definitely help.

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

four stroke oil change

Postby Yamaha Man » March 17th, 2005, 8:52 am

correct me if im wrong, but can't you get a update to change the fillter location, so it makes your life alot easyer to change it!
[IMG]http://img228.exs.cx/img228/9145/06smbattakred6hero14787bq.jpg[/IMG] [blue]Don't Make Me Attak You![/blue]
Yamaha Man

four stroke oil change

Postby gnip134 » March 17th, 2005, 9:09 am

Umm...7 hours if you have to do the oil change with both hands tied behind your back.....

Now, if its an oil change on a Vector or Rage....it's even easier, cause the oil filter is located at the access panel under the sled...with the drain plug!
Took me maybe 15 min at most!
gnip134

four stroke oil change

Postby kenlacy » March 17th, 2005, 9:21 am

Yeah for $120+ - not hardly worth it in my opinion. It takes hardly any time once you have done it the first time.

Then I thought...

Chit, I could win this!
kenlacy

Next

Return to SnowmobileNews Forum